Welcome to Gaia! ::

Namius's Queen

OG Gaian

63,450 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Ghost Hunter 250
  • Knife Club Lifetime Membership 0
___This thread is made to help you find a new series to read. Please be as helpful and descriptive as possible so people know what they're getting when they read the manga you recommend. Keep in mind you're basically 'selling' a manga to another user. Try and get them to buy it! Scanlated manga reviews are welcome as well.
___Because this thread will hopefully provide users with the information they need to select a manga, threads like "What should I read next?" or "What should I buy?" and even "Is *insert title here* worth reading?" will either be moved to the "Chatterbox" or "Recycle Bin." Please do not make new threads along those lines in the "Manga" forum.
___Please try and do your best- the goal is to be helpful to other users.

*Temporary* Until this thread gets more reviews, here's the old "Recommend a Manga" sticky for you to read.

Here is the basic form for you to use. If you feel like adding a section feel free to do so, but please use at least these sections. Spammed reviews will be deleted. I would prefer that you use one post per review, but it doesn't matter much.

DO NOT INCLUDE LINKS TO SCANLATION SITES. Posting such links are against the Gaia TOS. These reviews will be deleted and continued posting of such links can result in a ban.

'The Form'
Title:
Rating:
Genre:
Basic Premise/Basic Plot: [no spoilers, please]

Your Rating for the Artwork: [A through F]
Your Opinion/Review of the Art:

Your Rating for the Story: [A through F]
Your Opinion/Review of the Story:

Suggested for people who like: [here you can suggest other titles that are similar or just the type of person who would like it]
I'll do two examples in the next post so that you can get an idea of how to fill the form out.

Namius's Queen

OG Gaian

63,450 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Ghost Hunter 250
'Not Very Helpful'
Title: Life
Rating: I don't know, for older people?
Genre: girls
Basic Premise/Basic Plot: A girl is going to transfer to a new school. She and her friend want to go to the same place, but only the girl gets in, not her friend. Then stuff happens to her at the new school.

Your Rating for the Artwork: A++++++++
Your Opinion/Review of the Art: It's pretty.

Your Rating for the Story: A++++++++
Your Opinion/Review of the Story: It's good.

Suggested for people who like: stuff that girls like

'More Helpful'
green= sections I've added for more information
Title: Life (Raifu)
Author: Suenobu Keiko
Publisher: Kodansha
Serialized in: Betsufure Friend
Language: Japanese right now, but licenced by Tokyo Pop ( heart )
Number of Volumes: 10 so far, but the series isn't over yet

Rating: This is a Japanese title, so a rating isn't listed. I think it would be best for readers 16 years old or older because it does have rape, sexual situations and fetishes, as well as mental illnesses like "cutting."
Genre: drama for older, teen-aged girls
Basic Premise/Basic Plot: Ayumu is a middle school student ready to take exams for high school. Due to the stress and pressure, she takes up cutting herself. Afraid of letting anyone know that she's a cutter because she thinks people will call her "disgusting" or "sick," Ayumu hides her scars and doesn't seek help.
Despite her other problems, Ayumu asks for help studding from her best friend, Shinozuka. Ayumu and Shinozuka study very hard together and Ayumu decides to take the exam for Nishidate High School along with Shinozuka- who has dreamed of going to that school since she was a young girl. Unfortunately, Shinozuka doesn't get accepted to the school but Ayumu does. Shinozuka blames Ayumu because she spent so much time helping Ayumu and didn't have a chance to concentrate on her own studies. This makes Ayumu very depressed and despondent because she blames herself for Shinozuka's failure as well.
Because of the rocky start with the high school exams, Ayumu feels estranged at her new school and doesn't make new friends very well. Then finally, Ayumu meets Manami who becomes her first friend at her new school. Unfortunately, Manami has a very strange relationship with her boyfriend, Katsumi, and Manami's jealousy traps Ayumu in a dangerous situation that Ayumu struggles with throughout the series. Manami becomes Ayumu's worst enemy- but Manami is still only one among many.
At certain points in the book, Ayumu faces hazing and violence from her schoolmates. A girl, Hatori, then arrives as Ayumu's ally and friend. Hatori is very mysterious and almost angelic to Ayumu who looks up to her greatly. But who is Hatori really?
If you want to know more you'll have to read the series. whee If it sounds good from my description, I'm sure you'll like it.

Your Rating for the Artwork: A+
Your Opinion/Review of the Art: This manga has some of the most moving imagery I've ever seen. While the artist's style is simple most of the time, the way the images are presented is almost groundbreaking. The scene with Ayumu cutting her wrists near the end of volume one is almost enough to completely understand the mindset of a cutter. The art is absolutely beautiful and symbolic but still easily accessible.

Your Rating for the Story: B
Your Opinion/Review of the Story: Sometimes the story is a little over-dramatic. You might find yourself asking "why didn't she just do ..." or something similar, but it all makes sense given the characters' mental states. I think Suenobu has very well written characters with a lot of depth; you can really understand what the characters are thinking and can understand why they do what they do.
Life's a very quick read at times; some volumes can be read in 15 minutes so because there isn't a lot of text, just a lot of images. Still, the plot twists often and keeps you very interested and wanting more.

Suggested for people who like: Confidential Confessions and X-Day (the closest manga to this title that I think people would know of) Life is a serious story that deals with substantial issues in an entertaining way. If you like more mature manga, this would be a good title for you.

Keep in mind that your review doesn't have to be as long as mine was, but please remember that you really need to give the readers an idea of what the story is about and why they would like it.

Namius's Queen

OG Gaian

63,450 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Ghost Hunter 250
A
Absolute Boyfriend - [shoujo, comedy, romance, sci-fi]
Ah! My Goddess (Oh! My Goddess) - [seinen, romance, comedy, slice of life, fantasy, ecchi]
Ai Yori Aoshi - [comedy, drama, romance, slice-of-life]
+Anima - [fantasy]
Asklepios - [historical fiction, fantasy]

B
Battle Royale - [action]
Black Cat - [shonen, action, adventure, sci-fi, fantasy]
Black Lagoon - [action, adventure, seinen]
Blade of the Immortal - [fantasy, adventure, drama]

C
Card Captor Sakura - [shoujo, fantasy, romance]
Cherry Juice - [romance]
Chii's Sweet Home - [comedy, seinen, children's]
Claymore - [adventure, shonen, fantasy]
Code Breaker - [action, comedy, fantasy, martial arts, psychological, shonen, supernatural]
Crimson Hero - [sports, shoujo]

D
D.Gray-Man - [action, adventure, steampunk, comedy]
Death Note - [suspense, thriller]
Devil and Her Love Song - [comedy, romance, shoujo, drama]
Dogs: Bullets and Carnage - [action, sci-fi, seinen]
Dragon Eye - [shonen, action, comedy]
The Dreaming - [horror, drama, school life]

E
Elfen Lied - [fantasy]
Eyeshield 21 - [comedy, shonen, sports]

F
Fairy Tail - [action, adventure, fantasy]
FAKE - [drama]
Full Moon o Sagashite - [music, romance, shoujo, drama]
Fullmetal Alchemist [2] - [shonen, drama, action, adventure, comedy]

G
Gakuen Alice (Alice Academy) [2] - [drama]
Gantz - [action, romance, mystery]
Gin Tama - [comedy, action, sci-fi]
Godchild - [horror, drama, school life]

H
.hack//Legend of the Twilight - [adventure, comedy, fantasy, sci-fi]
Hajime no Ippo - [sports, shonen, comedy, action]
Hana-Kimi - [romance, comedy]
Hands Off! - [drama]
Hellsing - [seinen, supernatural, horror]
History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi - [action, comedy, martial arts]
Homunculus - [psychological, fantasy]
Hot Gimmick - [romance]

I
I"s - [drama, romance, comedy]
Ichigo 100% (Strawberry 100%) [2] - [romance, comedy, drama, shonen, slice-of-life, ecchi]

J
Jack Frost - [seinen, horror, action, ecchi]
Jigoku Shoujo - [horror, mystery, fantasy, psychological, supernatural]
Jing: King of Bandits - [fantasy, action]

K
Kamichama Karin [2] - [action, comedy, romance]
Katekyo Hitman Reborn! [2] - [action, comedy, shonen]
Kaukou Debut (High School Debut) - [shoujo]
Kamichama Karin (Little Goddess Karin) - [shoujo, magical girl]
Katekyo Hitman Reborn - [action, comedy, shonen]
Kazan - [action, adventure, fantasy, drama]
King of Hell - [action, fantasy, martial arts, supernatural]
Koori no Mamono no Monogatari - [fantasy, shonen ai, supernatural]
Kurohime - [fantasy, action, adventure]

L
Legal Drug - [comedy, shonen ai, supernatural]
Les Bijoux - [romance, fantasy]
Liar Game - [seinen, josei, drama, suspense, mystery, psychology]
Line - [mystery, suspense, romance]
Love Hina - [ecchi, romance, comedy]
Lovely Complex - [shoujo, romance, comedy]
Ludwig Kakumei - [mystery, horror, fantasy]

M
Maid-sama - [romance]
Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro - [psychological, mystery, shonen]
My Heavenly Hockey Club - [comedy, school life]

N
NANA [2] [3] - [romance, drama, shoujo, slice-of-life]
Nurarihyon no Mago - [supernatural, fantasy, action]
Negima! - [fantasy]
Nightmare Inspector [2] - [sci-fi, new age, mystery]
Nobari no Ou - [action, shonen ai]
Nodame Cantabile - [music, comedy, drama]
Nora - [fantasy, shonen]

O
O-Parts Hunter (666 Satan) - [action, adventure, comedy, shonen]
Okane Ga Nai - [romance, shonen ai, smut, yaoi]
One Piece - [shonen, action, adventure]
Ookiku Furikabutte (Big Windup!) - [sports, comedy]

P
Paradise Kiss - [shoujo, fashion, romance]
Petshop of Horrors - [horror, action, fantasy, comedy]
Pita-Ten - [romance]
Prince of Tennis - [shonen, sports]

Q

R
Ranma 1/2 - [martial arts, action, gender bender, comedy, romance]
Return to Labyrinth - [fantasy]
Rosario + Vampire - [action, ecchi, school life, shonen, supernatural]
Rurouni Kenshin - [fighting, comedy, romance]

S
Sand Chronicles (Sunadokei) - [romance, shoujo, drama, comedy, slice-of-life]
Sgt. Frog - [comedy]
Shaman King - [fantasy]
Silvery Crow, The - [action, adventure, fantasy]
Skincube 2 - [horror]
Skip Beat! - [romance, comedy, shoujo]
Strawberry Marshmallow - [slice-of-life, comedy]

T
Trigun - [action, adventure, comedy]
Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles - [fantasy, shonen, adventure, action]

U
Ultimate Muscle - [shonen]

V
Vampire Knight [2] [3] - [shoujo, mystery, romance, school life, supernatural]
Vassalord - [supernatural, action, drama, mystery]

W

X
xxxHolic - [fantasy, supernatural]

Y
Yokohama Kaidashi no Kikou (Yokohama Shopping Log) - [sci-fi, slice of life, seinen]

Z
ZETMAN - [action, sci-fi]
Zombie Powder [2] - [action, supernatural, shonen]

5,400 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
Title: Rurouni Kenshin
Author: Nobuhiro Watsuki
Language: English.
Number of Volumes: 28.
Rating: Older teen.
Genre: Fighting (there's also a hint of comedy and romance)
Basic Premise/Basic Plot: The story takes place during the early Meiji era (1868-1912) in Japan and this serie tells about an ex-assassin Himura Kenshin, who has decided to protect people with his swordskills to make up for his past's killings during the revolution.

Your Rating for the Artwork: A-
Your Opinion/Review of the Art: I really like Nobuhiro Watsuki's art. Watsuki's style is original and a bit more realistic than many other mangakas art is. Buildings look spectacular!

Your Rating for the Story: B+
Your Opinion/Review of the Story: Rurouni Kenshin's plot is great, but sometimes it just stays put without progressing.

Suggested for people who like: One Piece (One Piece's author was actually Watsuki's assistant in this manga) and other shounen mangas.
Title: xxxholic
Rating: Teen.
Author: CLAMP! biggrin
Language: Japanese/English....
Number of Volumes: 12 that I know of.
Genre: I dun really know, Fantasy...Ghost..
Basic Premise/Basic Plot: Kimihiro Watanuki is haunted by ghosts, and spirits and he goes to this women's "shop" to help him rid of the spirits that crave him so. This "women" is also know as the space-time witch, Yuko. But she asks him to work for her to slowly pay off his debt. He even has the help of two peers Domeki, and Himawari. (The girl he has a major crush on.) But how does all this intertwine? Also what lessons will Watanuki learn about fate, and learning?

Your Rating for the Artwork: A-
Your Opinion/Review of the Art: It is very beautiful and dark. The artwork isn't overly detailed,and the eyes are so big that you die just looking at it. But the simplicity adds to the charm. biggrin The only downside is that the people seem to all be extremely tall.

Your Rating for the Story: A
Your Opinion/Review of the Story: The story has the right balance of humor, morals, depth, drama, mystery. Perfect for people who like surprises, and is interested in the spiritual world.

Suggested for people who like: Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicle (Since they intertwine) Also people who enjoy mysteries, spritual occurences.
Title:Fairy Tail
Rating:13+
Genre:Action/Adventure,Fantasy
Basic Premise/Basic Plot:Natsu,a Powerful Fire Wizard,Lucy,a Celestial Wizard,and a talking cat named Happy go on many adventures together with their fellow Fairy Tail Guild members.
Your Rating for the Artwork:B
Your Opinion/Review of the Art:The artwork is pretty clean and fresh,great scenes,such as action,Point of View,and awesome character designs.

Your Rating for the Story:B
Your Opinion/Review of the Story:I've only read up to Vol.2,so not much of an opinion xd

Suggested for people who like:Rave Master
Basic Premise/Basic Plot:Kid Mscle,the Son of Legendary King Muscle(Kinnikuman),must fight evil intergalactic wrestlers from all over to defend earth.The only problem,he can't keep his mind off of Food,getting hurt,cowardly ways,and girls.

Your Rating for the Artwork:C
Your Opinion/Review of the Art:It's pretty nice,although most of the scenes are bloody.

Your Rating for the Story:A
Your Opinion/Review of the Story:The story is Heart-warming,action-ey,and funny all at the same time!It's great!!!

Suggested for people who like:Kinnikuman
Title: +Anima

Rating: PG 13 it says, but younger kids could read it.

Volumes: 8, but I think there will be 10

Genre: fantasy

Basic Premise/Basic Plot: The +Anima are people who had had life-threatening experiences, but were saved because the bacame an +Anima (they get animal=like powers).
Cooro, a crow +Anima, meets Husky, a fish +Anima, at the curcus. They are soon joined by Senri, a bear +Anima and also a kim-un-kur, and Nana, a bat +Anima. They travel all over Astaria and cross the mountains where the kim-un-kur (like native americans) live, and go into Sailand, where they find out a big secret about Husky. And it's a very cool secret!:3

Your Rating for the Artwork: A+, it really cute, and older characters like Igeous and Fly show just as much expression as younger chracters like Cooro and his freinds.

Your Opinion/Review of the Art: The art is soooo cute, because the main characters (exception is Senri he's 15 or 16) are I think 10 or 11 years old.

Your Rating for the Story: A+, I got into it emediatly!
Your Opinion/Review of the Story: It is full of secrets, which keeps it interesting, all the characters have a secret, and the main goal is to find out about thier pasts (well, not in Nana's or Senri's case, it tells you, actually iyt shows you). The characters are so full of personality!

Suggested for people who like: a little magic(not like wisards or anything, just, well, you have to read it to see), comedy, friendship, and fun. Its so funny!!
Title: Jing: King of Bandits or King of Bandits Jing
Rating: Teen 13+
Genre: Fantasy/Action
Basic Premise/Basic Plot: Adventures of a theif named Jing. Believe it or not, he's a good theif (like Robin Hood) who likes to take very valuable treasures, often from antagonists from the stories. He has an albatross sidekick named Kir, who latches onto Jing's arm, unleasing an attack called Kir Royale. On their adventures, Jing and Kir meet friends and foes alike.

Your Rating for the Artwork: An A. I'm not picky on art, but I think it's very interesting to look at when reading.
Your Opinion/Review of the Art: The art's an eyefull; I spend some time trying to look at every detail so I don't miss something. This could be either good or bad depending on reader preference, but I find it enjoyable. The art changes as the volumes progress though, so try and look into the other volumes to see the difference! I found it great because the art reminds me of some fantasy stories like Nitemare Before Christmas and Alice in Wonderland.

Your Rating for the Story: [A through F]A
Your Opinion/Review of the Story: The story is random at times, but I find it alright since it has a solid "backbone" story. It can get confusing, but if you read it two or three times, you'll understand it more. There's lots of interesting characters in there, such as a mermaid, a talking/hungry anchor, a sand whale, a cool warrior in volume 4, and a princess who is only a little taller than Kir.

Suggested for people who like: Anyone who likes fantasy and adventure. There's some good laughs in the series too.
Title:666 satan aka O parts hunter
Rating:34
Genre: action, adventure, comedy, shounen
Basic Premise/Basic Plot: Ruby Crescent is an ordinary girl, who likes to go out with boys and shop. Her life is changed dramatically when her father dies and she becomes a treasure hunter as he was. Her objective is to find O-Parts -- magical items hidden under the ground which grant people superhuman powers and can only be used by an O.P.T. (O-Part Tactician) or descendant of the Angel and Devil. She soon meets a mysterious boy named Jio who, due to having a dark, lonely past, seeks to conquer the world. Jio is hostile to her at first, but ends up travelling with Ruby as her bodyguard. When Ruby is attacked by an O.P.T. claiming to be Satan, Jio rushes to her rescue and a battle occurs. Initially they are on the losing side, but Jio releases his true power and is revealed to be not only an O.P.T., but the real Satan. Thus, the two continue to travel together in hopes of unlocking their pasts.

Your Rating for the Artwork: [A through F]A
Your Opinion/Review of the Art: very well done the artist Seishi Kishimoto does an excellent job crawing this manga. the characters well drawn in great detail and so were the backgrounds

Your Rating for the Story: [A through F] A
Your Opinion/Review of the Story:it was prefect and elabite a try masterpeice ahtuor Seishi Kishimoto made sure that he left readers on a great note and thirsting for more.

Suggested for people who like: action, adventure, comedy, demons and angels

Namius's Queen

OG Gaian

63,450 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Ghost Hunter 250
Title: Kazan
Author: Gaku Miyao
Publisher: ComicsOne/DrMaster
Number of Volumes: 7
Rating: No official rating, but I'd say Teen.
Genre: Action/Adventure, Fantasy, Drama
Basic Premise/Basic Plot: Determined to unravel the mystery surrounding the abduction of Elsie, Kazan sets out for the land of Goldene. There, Princess Fawna saves the people from a devastating drought. But Kazan meets more than his match in the dark-haired and evil-eyed, Lady Helsa. Can he overcome her immense power and discover the whereabouts of Elsie?

Your Rating for the Artwork: B+.
Your Opinion/Review of the Art: It's not the most spectacular... but it's pleasant to look at. Gaku Miyao has a pretty distinctive style, IMO.

Your Rating for the Story: A+
Your Opinion/Review of the Story: In my head, Gaku Miyao is best known for Devil Hunter Yoko... which is kind of a fanservicey magical girl schtick. This is the total opposite of that. It's truly a heartwarming story that makes you just want to read it over and over again. ALL the characters are likeable and multi-dimensional... and you cheer when they defeat the bad guys. And in the end of the last volume... there's a super touching little story about the manga-ka and his father. If you want to read something that is action-y and feel good-y at the same time, definitely read this manga

Suggested for people who like: Naruto, Hunter x Hunter, MAR, Rurouni Kenshin, and any other action/adventure series.

Additional Note: This series IS discontinued/out of print... but if you can hunt it down on eBay or at conventions or something, it's DEFINITELY worth picking it up!!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff