Welcome to Gaia! ::

Greeting Gaian World!

As of late I'm finding it
hard to find some good gender bender manga
or maybe even that of the yuri themed. Please no yaoi...

If anyone could help out a hunter in the manga
world and maybe post a few names to help me, I
would welcome the help!

See yah
Blaze!

Invisible Seeker

6,550 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Hm. I don't really read yuri, so the only suggestion I've got there is Stray Little Devil. There's also He Is My Master, but the yuri element is confined to one character who you don't even meet for the first couple of chapters.

With gender-benders, though:
Angel Sanctuary - Setsuna falls in love with his sister. Then it turns out Setsuna is a reincarnated (female) angel. Over the course of the series, he travels literally to Hell (and Heaven) and back to be with her. You might like the character of Mad Hatter, a genderless devil who plays a pretty big part in the story later on.
Gestalt - One of the main characters, Ouri, is trapped in the form of a woman (and wants to keep it that way, from what I remember, because s/he's fallen in love with a man).
Grand Guignol Orchestra - One of the characters spends most of her time trying to pass for a man. I don't think she fools any of the other main characters, though.
March Story - Main character cross-dresses so that she won't fall in love or some such like that. It's a really good series, though. Beautiful.
NG Life - So the main character is a reincarnated gladiator from Pompeii. His past-life wife is now male and his past-life best friend is now female--- but neither of them remember their previous lives. Shenanigans! (but no seriously, this is really great).
Ouran High School Host Club - figured you've already heard of this, but I'll mention it anyway because it is awesome and probably one of the best of its kind I've read.
Penguin Revolution - Set in high school. A girl must cross-dress at school to hide her identity as an actor's agent. The actor also must cross-dress to hide his identity. (contrived reasons for cross-dressing, ho!) (but yes, also, this is one of my favorites too!)
Ranma 1/2 - Kind of the quintessential gender-bend, yeah? Ranma turns into a girl when doused with cold water (hot water turns him back). There are a lot of other characters in the series that suffer other transformations.
Red Angel - Vampire twins (a boy and a girl) inhabit the same body.
Story of Saiunkoku - It doesn't start out that way, but a significant story arc has the main character forced to dress as a boy in order to work in the palace.
Tenshi Ja Nai! - Hikaru decides to go to an all-girls school, but ends up rooming with a cross-dressing guy who's a popular female model/actress. This one is another of my favorites.
Wish - An angel (technically they don't have gender?) falls in love with a human.

You also might like Wann's 9 Faces of Love. There are nine different short stories, each having to do with a different type of love. It's really good.

4,150 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
Not that into gender bender but you might enjoy this one, if you don't already know it that is.

Kashimashi: Girl Meets Girl. Guy gets a spaceship crashed into him. Aliens rebuild him but accidently turn him into a girl. Enter his/her love interest and a female childhood friend and there's plenty of room for that yuri you're looking for.

Friendly Fairy

Lately I've been reading Idol Pretender. I don't know whether to call it yuri, or yaoi, or... or what, really. The main character is a high school boy who gets turned into a girl by some mysterious medicine, and hilarity ensues. I can't really tell you the relevant plot points beyond that, because it would basically be all spoilers, but yeah. Suffice to say that it kinda explores every aspect of sexuality and sexual orientation that it can. I really like the artwork, too ~ heart

I can give you more yuri recommendations if you'd like, too.

Angelic Phantom

I don't really read yuri. The only one I know of is Shinigami Alice, to which I read the oneshot version. I've heard it's been serialized since then.

As for gender bender, apart from what's already been recommended, there's also:

Saver - an epic manhwa that follows Lena, captain of her high school's kumdo team, as a series of tragic events end with her falling into a river, severely wounded. She wakes up in a different world; one that has been waiting for her arrival. To hide her identity and to move more freely through the world, she pretends to be a male mercenary and excellent swordsman named "Ley", and she begins a journey to find her way back home.

Zippy Ziggy - another manhwa, this time a school life comedy. Shin-gi has it all: looks, brains, and popularity, even though he generally deceives people as often as he can to maintain his status. That is, until a new girl arrives with a martial arts background and sees right through Shin-gi's lies. Oh, and Shin-gi ends up cross-dressing as a female to get out of sticky situations more often than he'd like to admit.

There's also Reversible!, and many of Han Yu-Rang and Hwang Mi Ri's stories, but I don't really recommend them (well, Reversible! does run in a gender-bender magazine, so maybe it's ok... it just wasn't my cup of tea after 1 chapter) (HYR and HMR's stories are ones that you can read once and you've read them all, since all the main characters of each story are carbon copies of one another, and even though the plot starts out with a vast difference from one another, it always ends up being the exact same thing by the end).
Hana Kimi - Mizuki a high school student, disguise as a boy to attend an all boy's school, so she can be close to her idol a high jumper, Izumi Sano. Romance and some comedy

Seiyuu Ka-! - Kino Hime, attends a high school for voice actors. Her dream is to become one of voices for the leading characters in one of the popular series. Very cute and funny.

There both gender bender. Sorry I don't read yuri.

Beloved Shapeshifter

Maria+Holic may be a bit in your alley. I like the comedic idea behind the main character being allergic to guys and becoming attracted to a crossdressed male at a catholic girls school. Mariya is so cruel to her and crushes any potential romance she may have as a way of blackmailing her. The only problem I have with this one is that the main's voice is on a chaffing level similar to that of Excel from Excel Saga's. I don't know how the manga is because I never had the chance to read it and I've only seen a couple of episodes of the anime. It's another I want to get back to.

I read another on a certain site that was a one shot that kinda reminded me of a yuri answer to Junjo Romantica, but I can't remember the name. I want to say it's "I Fell in Love for the First Time." I don't usually go for yuri because the ones I read in the past seemed gratuitous in sex and had very little story or focus on the emotional connection (and thus prefer shoujo ai, shonen ai, or certain yaoi). This one just hit the right keynotes to where their connection was genuine and beautiful.

Friendly Fairy

Oh, what the heck, I'm gonna throw in some yuri recs anyway. The first two are completed, the rest are ongoing (as far as I'm aware).

Girl Friends by Morinaga Milk. Probably the pinnacle of the high school girl romance subdivision of yuri. This manga is just FANTASTIC. Memorable characters, excellent artwork, plenty of angst and misunderstandings and UST, and it's just a really cute story overall. The ending felt a little rushed, but it was still pretty good nonetheless. The first collected volume is coming out in English this month - squeee!

Ebisu-san and Hotei-san by Kizuki Akira and Satou Nanki. A story about two office ladies who initially don't get along, but are forced together by certain circumstances. I love the character development, and there's something about the artwork that I love but can't quite put my finger on.

Raubritter by Saida Nika. It seems like kind of a complicated story about two women who run an agency for helping out girls. They take in this younger girl who is looking for her sister, who has mysteriously vanished. It's pretty racy and there are definitely some NSFW parts, but it's very engaging and I can't seem to stop reading it. ^^

All You by Hakamada Mera. A story about a woman Amane who runs into a high school girl at a train station. The high school girl looks exactly like the girl she fell in love with when she was in high school... and it turns out that this girl also fell in love with someone who looks exactly like Amane... it's complicated! The artwork is kinda strange but endearing in a way. I'm hooked so far, anyway.

Sisterism by Yoshitomi Akihito. Haruka and Yoshiko are 14 and best friends. Haruka's sister Sakura and Yoshiko's sister Mai are 12, and they are best friends. Things are complicated by the fact that Haruka is in love with Mai, and Yoshiko is in love with Sakura. Things get even MORE complicated when Haruka and Yoshiko, as well as Sakura and Mai, develop feelings for each other. It's craaaaaaazy! It's also a hilarious and sweet little manga.

One more: Twin Cake by Aoi Hana. Kaede really admires Susuran, an idol, so she becomes an idol herself to get nearer to her. Kaede doesn't really sell, however, and after she flops as an idol she becomes a manager for a talent company. To her great surprise, she is selected as Susuran's new manager! She finds out that it's not quite the dream come true she thought it would be, though...

Whew! Sorry for the long post. Hope you enjoy these manga recommendations.

Friendly Fairy

Suiseiten
I read another on a certain site that was a one shot that kinda reminded me of a yuri answer to Junjo Romantica, but I can't remember the name. I want to say it's "I Fell in Love for the First Time." I don't usually go for yuri because the ones I read in the past seemed gratuitous in sex and had very little story or focus on the emotional connection (and thus prefer shoujo ai, shonen ai, or certain yaoi). This one just hit the right keynotes to where their connection was genuine and beautiful.

You're right on the title. It wasn't quite a one-shot though, there were 4 chapters total. This one was still pretty heavy on the sex, but you're right in that the characters definitely had more of an emotional connection. Very sweet and very smutty, as described by Dynasty.

Beloved Shapeshifter

Amy Reinvented
Suiseiten

You're right on the title. It wasn't quite a one-shot though, there were 4 chapters total. This one was still pretty heavy on the sex, but you're right in that the characters definitely had more of an emotional connection. Very sweet and very smutty, as described by Dynasty.
You made me happy when you informed me that it wasn't a one-shot. Thanks. ^_^ I really liked the first four chapters and look forward to reading the ones to come out next. I assumed it to be a one-shot since it seems like a lot of yuri is. sweatdrop

Friendly Fairy

Suiseiten
You made me happy when you informed me that it wasn't a one-shot. Thanks. ^_^ I really liked the first four chapters and look forward to reading the ones to come out next. I assumed it to be a one-shot since it seems like a lot of yuri is. sweatdrop

Aww, I hate to burst your bubble, but I think it's finished... the 4 chapters are all there are. I think. Lililicious has it listed on their "finished" page, anyway. Unless the author is planning a sequel, that's probably it. emotion_8c

Beloved Shapeshifter

Amy Reinvented
Suiseiten

Aww, I hate to burst your bubble, but I think it's finished... the 4 chapters are all there are. I think. Lililicious has it listed on their "finished" page, anyway. Unless the author is planning a sequel, that's probably it. emotion_8c
It's cool. sweatdrop I kinda saw that when I went to look for it through one of the other scans sites to see the "Complete" banner. I wouldn't mind a spin off or sequel, but also feel that it left off in a good place. That both members faced their sets of insecurities and flourished was a nice ending to it.

@ xLilLuna, I like your blog that you linked and think I may have found some pieces that I may look into. I'll have to hold off on a few of the videos, but Kuttsukibushi looks like it may be interesting to watch. And I'm starting Cigarettes =/= Chocolate now. :3

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff