Welcome to Gaia! ::

Cluttered Worshipper

9,900 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Overstocked 200
Discussion of the manga 2001 Nights by Hoshino Yukinobu
made for the manga book club but I encourage everyone to join in, much more fun that way

Some points to discuss:
Robinson arch
accuracy (science)
accuracy (how humans would behave)
favorite planets /stories
references
space exploration: would you go?

Cluttered Worshipper

9,900 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Overstocked 200
This. Series. Is. Awesome.

The tone of the manga really surprised me. usually it's either "guy on a planet with ecchi girls" or "yay for space" but this was really... reflective. It seemed much more realistic to me because of that. (even with a planet made of antimatter and starseeds and mold planets) It really helped that these (in name at least) are actual stars and systems. Even the space station in the first story was based off a real space station (just made larger, but still very recognizable.)
so, y'know, if you're into space stuff that's a real bonus.

I'm a fan of old sifi, so I love all the references (ofcourse, my favorite was "captain kark" (poor kark.)

my favorite planet was the mold planet. I would hate to be there because eww, but how cool is that? lol.

Gracious Gekko

Honestly I wasn't too into this manga. This is the first time I've read something like this. It wasn't that it was boring or anything, because a lot of it was interesting, but I think I was more confused than anything. I felt like there were a lot of characters and a lot of times someone would die and I'd have to go back to figure out who they were or someone new was introduced who ended up not being new. I think the only thing that actually pulled me in was the Robinson's and the children who were sent to that planet. I don't know if it just went over my head, but why were they so old? It said in the end that they were over 400 years old. Also, why did that Toby guy kill his ancestor whose name escapes me?

As for space exploration, I don't think I'd go anytime soon. I think when exploration is more commercialized it may be a possibility but I might be extremely old or dead by then. I have always fantasized of a Cowboy Bebop or Gundam type universe but I don't see it happening in my lifetime.

Cluttered Worshipper

9,900 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Overstocked 200
chibi_jess
Honestly I wasn't too into this manga. This is the first time I've read something like this. It wasn't that it was boring or anything, because a lot of it was interesting, but I think I was more confused than anything. I felt like there were a lot of characters and a lot of times someone would die and I'd have to go back to figure out who they were or someone new was introduced who ended up not being new. I think the only thing that actually pulled me in was the Robinson's and the children who were sent to that planet. I don't know if it just went over my head, but why were they so old? It said in the end that they were over 400 years old. Also, why did that Toby guy kill his ancestor whose name escapes me?

As for space exploration, I don't think I'd go anytime soon. I think when exploration is more commercialized it may be a possibility but I might be extremely old or dead by then. I have always fantasized of a Cowboy Bebop or Gundam type universe but I don't see it happening in my lifetime.

I think it would have been pretty boring without the robinsons. 20 chapters of oneshots would have been pretty boring.
Everyone being able to be older comes down to "space magic" to put it non-scientifically. Of course, now we know they wouldn't be that old because traveling in space so much would get you serious cancer. Reality ruins everything I suppose. lol.

Toby killed Adam because toby didn't trust him. 'specially after the girls who tried to get it on with him and the people trying to kidnap them for breeding. Toby didn't want Adam on the planet at all, so stabby stab.

I'm pretty used to manga like this, but I remember my first and wondering who the hell that guy was that just got killed or whatever. (that one was over a hundred chapters so I couldn't even look back! XD)

Gracious Gekko

Yeah a lot of the one shots confused me. I was kind of like what does this have to do with anything?

I suppose Toby was justified with killing Adam even though I feel Adam just wanted to be a family with the kids.

I'm glad that I now know I don't like this type of manga very much. Maybe the theme might have just thrown me off and I could possibly like something of this style with a different subject.

Cluttered Worshipper

9,900 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Overstocked 200
chibi_jess
Yeah a lot of the one shots confused me. I was kind of like what does this have to do with anything?

I suppose Toby was justified with killing Adam even though I feel Adam just wanted to be a family with the kids.

I'm glad that I now know I don't like this type of manga very much. Maybe the theme might have just thrown me off and I could possibly like something of this style with a different subject.

It would have been nice of gaia to tel me that you said something. lol.
silly gaia.

Personally I loved the oneshots. for me it was like watching (insert old sifi series here)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff