Welcome to Gaia! ::

My god, you are all idiots. Everything was spelled out for you, and you're still asking questions.

The wreckage shown during the credits was not the Ajira plane that Lapidus et al took. Ajira has an orange colour scheme; Oceanic has blue. I believe the wreckage was the original wreckage, just junk footage they had from early on in the series. It was to show us that they hadn't forgotten those of us who've been there from the beginning.

The Sideways World was a between-world. Call it purgatory if you want. Yes, technically, everyone there was dead so that means OMG EVERYONE DIED, but Christian said it: "Everyone dies sometime." It wasn't like the Sideways World was X number of years after everything else. It wasn't like everyone was just waiting around for everyone else to die. Remember how when Juliet was dying, she said stuff that didn't make sense ("It worked" and "We can go Dutch")? Remember also that she said the exact same things in the Sideways World? LOL IT'S BECAUSE THE SIDEWAYS WORLD CONSCIOUSNESS WAS SORT OF DRIFTING BACK AND FORTH BECAUSE SHE WAS DYING.

Faraday wasn't in the church because Eloise wasn't ready to let go of him. Ben wasn't there because he needed to reconcile the person he had been. We don't know what he was like after he took the job as Hurley's Number 2, but Hurley said he was good, so it's safe to assume that he improved. But before that (ie. What we saw) was awful. Having just awakened into remembering all of that, he probably needed to be at peace with himself. Eko wasn't there because he wanted more money. Michael was probably just looking for WAAAAAAAAALT.

They were not dead from the beginning. None of it was in Hurley's mind. A lot of your questions have been explicitly answered. Even more of them have been implicitly answered. The unanswered questions are either unimportant, meant to inspire deep thought and/or personal insight, or just a slip-up from the writers.

1,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
Asphalt Lion
My god, you are all idiots. Everything was spelled out for you, and you're still asking questions.

Hurley just took on the role of being number one, and shortly after there is the scene with Hurley and Ben talking in past tense about being a good number one and two, it would make sense that the "purgatory" took form after the first person died and as people died on the island, they would join that "purgatory" in order to find each other... and they would not meet each other in that world unless they died in the real world? That would explain why at the end Jack says he "died"... But that can't be... because they were alive in the real world when they met up in the purgatory...

Why would people who escaped from the island be in that purgatory? What happened on the island was real, so escaping is evidence of their survival and continued existence in the real world? But they were at the church at the end??????

Did I miss something? If you understand it so well, then please enlighten me, I would love to understand it. (No sarcasm by the way... and me saying there is no sarcasm is not sarcasm either.)
D3ath Th3 K1d
Asphalt Lion

Hurley just took on the role of being number one, and shortly after there is the scene with Hurley and Ben talking in past tense about being a good number one and two, it would make sense that the "purgatory" took form after the first person died and as people died on the island, they would join that "purgatory" in order to find each other... and they would not meet each other in that world unless they died in the real world? That would explain why at the end Jack says he "died"... But that can't be... because they were alive in the real world when they met up in the purgatory...

Why would people who escaped from the island be in that purgatory? What happened on the island was real, so escaping is evidence of their survival and continued existence in the real world? But they were at the church at the end??????

Did I miss something? If you understand it so well, then please enlighten me, I would love to understand it. (No sarcasm by the way... and me saying there is no sarcasm is not sarcasm either.)

The Purgatory is sort of... everywhen. Like I (and also Christan) said, it's not really a specific place or time. Relative to what we saw, some of the people there had died long ago (like Shannon), some of them not so long ago (like Jack), and some of them died long after (like Hurley and Ben - who, it's probably safe to assume, lived and took care of the island for thousands of years). They all went to one place. It wasn't like the people who died first got there first.

Think of it like a huge vacuum. There is one spot that sucks everything else in, no matter how far away it is. That spot is the Purgatory. Everyone who died (well, I don't think it was everyone in this particular purgatory, but that's another matter) went to the same place, at the same time, no matter when they died.
Asphalt Lion
The wreckage shown during the credits was not the Ajira plane that Lapidus et all took. Ajira has an orange colour scheme; Oceanic has blue. I believe the wreckage was the original wreckage, just junk footage they had from early on in the series. It was to show us that they hadn't forgotten those of us who've been there from the beginning.

Thank you, I have been trying to say this same thing to people ALL day!!!! We just had the final shown here last night I have had everyone going on to me saying it’s the Ajira flight when I knew it was the Oceanic, ya can tell the difference by the colours, quite simple.
seadweller95
I think Ben didn't go in because he never really shared the bonds and experiences that the other characters did. I think he realized this and knew he wasn't entirely a part of it, kind of on the outside looking in until he could accept that. I think Michael and Walt weren't in the Church because they had started their lives again off the island, they fought so hard to escape that they failed to be a part of it.

dude I agree with you completely, at first I was like SHWAT! and then I kind of made a similiar realization
I truly think they didn't think as hard into the ending as all of you guys think, in fact though there was definetely some signifigance it was easily my least favorite moment in lost, it was cheesy and seemed very slapped together in order to get the thing doen with as easily as possible. It just seemed really crappy to tie up all this complexity by saying "Oh We're all going to heaven yaaay!"

7,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
the show ended thats it the end not hidden plot nothing you guys are thinking WAY to far outside the box......

evil evil evil evil evil

User Image

evil evil evil evil evil

READ THE PIC!!!!

1,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
Asphalt Lion

The Purgatory is sort of... everywhen. Like I (and also Christan) said, it's not really a specific place or time. Relative to what we saw, some of the people there had died long ago (like Shannon), some of them not so long ago (like Jack), and some of them died long after (like Hurley and Ben - who, it's probably safe to assume, lived and took care of the island for thousands of years). They all went to one place. It wasn't like the people who died first got there first.

Think of it like a huge vacuum. There is one spot that sucks everything else in, no matter how far away it is. That spot is the Purgatory. Everyone who died (well, I don't think it was everyone in this particular purgatory, but that's another matter) went to the same place, at the same time, no matter when they died.

Ah okay, that makes sense. In fact, it even follows suite with some of the theories out there about the universe and time... theories like string/M theories(Not these ones specifically).

Thanks!
I think, for a ******** up show, it was the best ending they could have produced.
So the island was 'purgatory' for the people who had 'flaws' and they finally got 'off the island' and their 'freedom' when they all died.
HitanChiyu III
What do you think happened?
What are your theories?

I personally think, that they all died on the plane, and
were indeed in some kind of purgatory of some sort.
Its pretty crazy, im not sure.
Especially with the final scene when they go back to the original wreckage.

Perhaps, they all had to go through a trial, before "leaving" the island.

I sort of thought that a little as well, because Locke was able to walk on the island again.. so the conclusion could be that he was dead/purgatory or w/e, as well as everyone else.. but I disagree, because the writers refuted that idea before anyways.. and plus what happened on the island happened, the sideways events were them already dead in another life sort of, but not really lol.
Asphalt Lion

Okay, you seem to know LOST very well(: Thats good.
So let me see if I got this right. Ben and Hurley live the rest of their long lives protecting the island. And so after they die, everyone ends up meeting at the church? (Which is thousands of years later?)
BellaSky14
Asphalt Lion

Okay, you seem to know LOST very well(: Thats good.
So let me see if I got this right. Ben and Hurley live the rest of their long lives protecting the island. And so after they die, everyone ends up meeting at the church? (Which is thousands of years later?)

I like to think so. Maybe not all of LOST, but at least the finale. It seems like I understood it more than a lot of the people here, which is kind of cool.
Anyway, you kind of got it right, but your concept of the time is off (which is a common problem). I posted this earlier in the thread
:

Asphalt Lion

4,700 Points
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Signature Look 250
Ok people we all know what happend so lets all just shut up ok?! neutral

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items