Welcome to Gaia! ::

Best theory ive heard also.
i s t r e s s \/ o l d e m o r t
User Image
α я σ ѕ є αмσиg т н σ я и ѕ . . .

● ● ●
wakusei "Metaphorical Eden" how? As in a "lush, green, fertile environment" or otherwise? I'd just like to know what sort of things you find make it appear that way to you. 3nodding

i stole your pants I agree with the fact they use all different references to different faiths and I believe it to be true that they wont actually name MiB as "Satan" or otherwise in the end. I do think it will be left up to interpretation to the viewer as to who these entities actually are, I just think that this MiB is most like Satan, in comparison to other "evil" entities from other religions from my understanding.
The symbolism in LOST also makes me think of my theory an awful lot. Richard even went to a great tree when he was on the edge of losing his faith in Jacob. These images are very powerful.

Z OMG I'm sorry I haven't watched LOST for very long and I didn't know the writers had released the information that it was Tarawet! crying
And if it is Tarawet, I believe that that is a symbol used to infer that whatever ancient people lived there previous, that they also had struggles with child-birth and such (because that's why ancient people would build such idols, to gain favour from their deity) which makes me think of God's punishment for Eve. Painful and complicated child-birth, for being seduced by Satan.
I don't know maybe I'm thinking too much into all this?
MistressVoldemort
i stole your pants I agree with the fact they use all different references to different faiths and I believe it to be true that they wont actually name MiB as "Satan" or otherwise in the end. I do think it will be left up to interpretation to the viewer as to who these entities actually are, I just think that this MiB is most like Satan, in comparison to other "evil" entities from other religions from my understanding.
The symbolism in LOST also makes me think of my theory an awful lot. Richard even went to a great tree when he was on the edge of losing his faith in Jacob. These images are very powerful.

Gautama Buddha reached enlightenment under the Bodhi tree. I understand there are Christian references, but people tend to interpret symbols in the context of Christianity because that's what they're most familiar with.

MistressVoldemort
And if it is Tarawet, I believe that that is a symbol used to infer that whatever ancient people lived there previous, that they also had struggles with child-birth and such (because that's why ancient people would build such idols, to gain favour from their deity) which makes me think of God's punishment for Eve. Painful and complicated child-birth, for being seduced by Satan.
I don't know maybe I'm thinking too much into all this?

I was surprised to learn that some Buddhist women believe they were reborn into female bodies as a result of past misdeeds. They see painful childbirth as punishment for not doing their best in their previous life. I thought this was interesting.

That aside, women didn't routinely die during childbirth until after the Incident. This makes me believe the fertility problem is more related to the bomb or electromagnetic energy than it is to Jacob and MIB.
i s t r e s s \/ o l d e m o r t
User Image
α я σ ѕ є αмσиg т н σ я и ѕ . . .

Quote:
Gautama Buddha reached enlightenment under the Bodhi tree. I understand there are Christian references, but people tend to interpret symbols in the context of Christianity because that's what they're most familiar with.

● ● ●
That's true, yes, and I do believe I see more relation to Christianity because I am more familiar with it but it doesn't make it less likely than the use of another faith just because it's teachings are more widely known. The fact that he called out to MiB under that tree and wished to contact MiB from that tree just struck out to me. I don't know, I just like my theory.

That being said, I know it wont be just based around the Christian faith, I know that. I just think it seems most likely as to what sort of characters they're making them out to be referring to or representing.

Quote:
I was surprised to learn that some Buddhist women believe they were reborn into female bodies as a result of past misdeeds. They see painful childbirth as punishment for not doing their best in their previous life. I thought this was interesting.

That aside, women didn't routinely die during childbirth until after the Incident. This makes me believe the fertility problem is more related to the bomb or electromagnetic energy than it is to Jacob and MIB.

● ● ●
If it was simply to do with the bomb, that would make the statue irrelevant to the story. That statue is obviously relating to the child-bearing problems on the island otherwise they wouldn't have chosen that specific deity.

Oh and another thing I'd like to throw out there.
The fact the smoke monster (perhaps worshipped at that time?) appeared etched alongside Anubis and heiroglyphs just serves as a clue to show just how old these entities are.
Older than the Egyptians, so 6000/7000BC?
Isn't that when "apparently" the world was made according to the Bible?

IDKIDKIDKIDK :cries:
All I'm saying is that your Christian interpretation is someone else's non-Christian interpretation. I don't believe either interpretation is the more correct one.

Childbirth has always been (and will always be) painful and at risk for complications, and that's why there have always been statues like Tawaret. I'm more inclined to believe that the Island's "negatively charged exotic matter" might have caused reproductive problems which prompted the construction of the statue. The energy could have been released during the Incident and made the problem worse. Women always dying during their pregnancies seemed like a new phenomenon on the Island. This is what I meant.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff