Welcome to Gaia! ::

Vuskyr's Wife

Wild Bard

15,425 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Bookworm 100
So, for me, I grew up reading The Hobbit as a young (young!) child and even saw a live play of it at the Civic Theatre (which was the best play I've ever seen, just so you know).

Following that, I then read The Lord of the Rings (yes, well.... I was never going to be a "normal" child). Then, years later came the news that it would be adapted into a movie. I was absolutely ecstatic!! While people were going on about Harry Potter this, Harry Potter that, I was arguing the point that the story for LOTR was much better and the plot had a lot more meaning to it. I saw the movie on its release day and so forth. So yes, I am one of those "old" fans.

For me, I seem to like The Hobbit better though, probably because I have more memories connected with it and I read it so, so much.

What does everyone else like better, why, and what other Tokien books have you read? (I also have The Silmarillion and The Legend of Sigurd and GudrĂșn.)
I just love how Tolkien took influence from Norse mythology like I have for my stories. =3

Rainbow Hunter

LOVE Lord of The Rings. I've seen the movies on their release dates, but I hadn't read any of Tolkien's books before then. I've read The Hobbit a few times, but Lord of The Rings will always be my favorite. I also have The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales.

8,250 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
I really enjoyed the Children of Hurin the most out of all his books. In undergrad I did a whole chapter of my thesis on the story of Turin Turambar and I find it one of the most well-developed, mythologically complex, and emotionally heartwrenching stories I have ever read. (Alternately there is also a chapter on Turin in the Silmarillion, but the book has a detailed depth to it that I really enjoy.)

I read the Hobbit along with the trilogy when I was about 10. I didn't understand much of it at all, and I didn't read it again until college when I really fell in love with it. If I had to choose one story to read for the rest of my life, it would be the story of Middle-earth.

Vuskyr's Wife

Wild Bard

15,425 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Bookworm 100
It's good to hear that others have actually read other of the books as well.
I've been meaning to check out Children of Hurin, and I've just been pushed to get it sooner. ^_^
My kids are going to grow up on Tolkien.
The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings are great, but The Silmarillion wins by far for me. Some find it a bit dry to read, but I love all of the lore / history. I also have Unfinished Tales, The Children of Hurin, and the first part of the History of Middle-Earth.

Questionable Informer

7,600 Points
  • Trader 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Tycoon 200
I've read all of the Lord of the Rings novels, as well as The Hobbit. I personally like the Lord of the Rings better than The Hobbit because you get to know the characters more personally, and you can kind of 'bond' with them.

The Silmarillion.
Mostly because I found that it ties everything together.
I love all the history, and of course my favorite characters are in that book.
Ecthelion, Elrond, Galadriel, and Fingon.
I love Lord of the rings the most and always have done since reading the books and watching the movies. I also read the Hobbit and liked it as well but I find one particular part of the Hobbit disappointed me (not with the writing or story but the character decisions) you know the part I'm talking about where the men and the Elves come to the lonely Mountain.

I really didn't like that part I was annoyed by the Dwarves and their attitudes. However I really liked both books only I am fonder of lotrs. And I loved the movies and can't wait for the hobbit.

Dedicated Punching Bag

12,925 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
I'll get back to you after I find a copy of the Hobbit... I read the LOTR books when I was 12 and saw all 3 movies shortly after they were released to DVD... sadly I was a bit late to be one of the old fans, but I didn't even have a stable foster home til I was 11, so, ya know, priorities...
But anyways, LOTR is by far the most amazing thing I've ever read (and Harry Potter is nothing in comparison), I wonder if The Hobbit could win over my heart in comparison~

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff