Welcome to Gaia! ::

Feral Fatcat

He was my favorite, I wished he would have had a bigger role in the series. And I think its kind of funny that he was added as a character in the Lego game and not in the actual movie. And JRR wanted to make his own mythology, he even invented languages and his own creatures. Tom was just one of the many parts of what made up his story
I like Tom a lot. I wish they had put him in the movies.
Tom Bombadil annoyed the hell out of me, I read the book but it felt like forever trying to get past him.

Invisible Explorer

7,575 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Member 100
  • Market Browser 100
He was an ancient who passed on wisdom and items. I didnt like his character as he always seemed forced onto the scene. I'm in the minority in this area though because I know a lot of people who love Tom Bombadil.

Genius

3,400 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Guildmember 100
lets not forget that he was basically nature personified
I have learned much.

2,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
If you read all the way through he actually holds one of the rings which Gandalf shows up with in the when the elves leave middle earth

Hot Rot's Prince

Hardened Member

12,200 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Object of Affection 150
DaimonOfAlohr
If you read all the way through he actually holds one of the rings which Gandalf shows up with in the when the elves leave middle earth

What? The three rings originally belonged to Galadriel, Gil-Galad and Círdan. Gil-Galad's ring was eventually given to Elrond and Gandalf received Círdan's. The rings are "a means of power," and Tolkien himself states in The Letters that both good and evil desire a measure of control over this power. Tom Bombadil, however, has renounced control and takes "delight in things for themselves...watching, observing, and to some extent knowing [them]" (179), so to him these means of power are valueless.

Menstrual Cramps's Partner In Crime

Fashionista

Spluckor

Tolkien himself has called Tom an enigma, saying that even he doesn't really know who or what the character is.

Precisely. He felt all great mythologies needed some things that can't easily be explained. Bombadil is his "thing" that no one really understands. He may be important, he may not be. No one can be sure.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff