Welcome to Gaia! ::

Malevolent Shapeshifter

8,950 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Invisibility 100
  • Wall Street 200
I loved Tom Bombadil and to be honest, I wished I was Goldberry sometimes, but what was the significance of his character?
There must have been some reason why J.R.R. Tolkein would see the need to add him in the story at all. I doubt Tolkein is a writer who would chuck in a random fun character just for the heck of it.

Beloved Admirer

9,800 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Love Machine 150
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
Although I haven't read them all of them, my brother loves Middle Earth's books. According to him, there is a huge back story. From The Children of Huran or The Hobbit, there is more to the world than just the Fellowship. Tom Bombadil is an ancient character. I believe his story comes from a different area of the world. As for his significance to the fellowship... well I think he needed to be there to start them on their way. He was the man who got them through their first trials and he provided a way for Mary to obtain the sword with which he killed the wraith king.

Apocalyptic Comrade

28,650 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Hero 100
He was there at the beginning of the world. I think his purpose was actually to set the scene. He was there for all the ages, give daggers to the hobbits, impart the importance of angry trees; the Ents were intimidating, but could have actually given the hobbits a heart attack if they had started with him first. Being swallowed by a much smaller opponent would lessen the shock, and if memory serves, they were surprised he could talk to trees. Less surprise when it comes to Legolas?

Malevolent Shapeshifter

8,950 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Invisibility 100
  • Wall Street 200
Winddriven_dreamer
Although I haven't read them all of them, my brother loves Middle Earth's books. According to him, there is a huge back story. From The Children of Huran or The Hobbit, there is more to the world than just the Fellowship. Tom Bombadil is an ancient character. I believe his story comes from a different area of the world. As for his significance to the fellowship... well I think he needed to be there to start them on their way. He was the man who got them through their first trials and he provided a way for Mary to obtain the sword with which he killed the wraith king.

I've done the Hobbit but he was never really mentioned. I haven't read the other books because when I tried The Silmarillion, I couldn't really understand it.
Why didn't he play a bigger role though? I mean, he played an idiot but he seems to be all-knowing and not to mention all-powerful.

Malevolent Shapeshifter

8,950 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Invisibility 100
  • Wall Street 200
X_of_Pentacles
He was there at the beginning of the world. I think his purpose was actually to set the scene. He was there for all the ages, give daggers to the hobbits, impart the importance of angry trees; the Ents were intimidating, but could have actually given the hobbits a heart attack if they had started with him first. Being swallowed by a much smaller opponent would lessen the shock, and if memory serves, they were surprised he could talk to trees. Less surprise when it comes to Legolas?

I guess you have a point with that. But from what I understand in his short appearance, he seems close to a God figure in the book. Still don't get why he wasn't given a bigger part... gonk

Beloved Admirer

9,800 Points
  • Love Machine 150
Tsuki Z
Winddriven_dreamer

I've done the Hobbit but he was never really mentioned. I haven't read the other books because when I tried The Silmarillion, I couldn't really understand it.
Why didn't he play a bigger role though? I mean, he played an idiot but he seems to be all-knowing and not to mention all-powerful.

I think you have to start with a different book to really understand The Silmarillion. As it is, Tom is one of those characters like Gandalf, from a time before time if you will. I believe somewhere it says that Tom is even older than the elves or something. He's one of the people who knew the dark lord before he was evil and what not. I don't know all that much about it, but he was all-knowing cause he was so old. I suppose it comes with age and experience. You can't help but know a lot that way. As for not playing a bigger role, who can say why Tolkien didn't include him more? I feel as though it's simply to follow Bombadil's personality. The way he's written, he is one of those powerful characters that is simply content to sit back and enjoy life, I mean, he has his lady and his home. He is wise enough to know that the world will not end, and powerful enough to not have to worry about anyone disturbing his little paradise. This doesn't have to contradict his helping the hobbits because he is also a man with a kind and helpful heart, one who enjoys the little things in life. So, in essence, I believe he has such a simple part because he has already had his story and is content to let the hobbits have theirs.

Beloved Admirer

9,800 Points
  • Love Machine 150
Also, sometimes the wisest people play stupid. It's been too long for me to remember if that was a ploy on his part, but I think that might have been part of it. Mostly, though, I believe his innocence and happiness is what made him seem like he was playing a fool.

Malevolent Shapeshifter

8,950 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Invisibility 100
  • Wall Street 200
Winddriven_dreamer
Tsuki Z
Winddriven_dreamer

I think you have to start with a different book to really understand The Silmarillion. As it is, Tom is one of those characters like Gandalf, from a time before time if you will. I believe somewhere it says that Tom is even older than the elves or something. He's one of the people who knew the dark lord before he was evil and what not. I don't know all that much about it, but he was all-knowing cause he was so old. I suppose it comes with age and experience. You can't help but know a lot that way. As for not playing a bigger role, who can say why Tolkien didn't include him more? I feel as though it's simply to follow Bombadil's personality. The way he's written, he is one of those powerful characters that is simply content to sit back and enjoy life, I mean, he has his lady and his home. He is wise enough to know that the world will not end, and powerful enough to not have to worry about anyone disturbing his little paradise. This doesn't have to contradict his helping the hobbits because he is also a man with a kind and helpful heart, one who enjoys the little things in life. So, in essence, I believe he has such a simple part because he has already had his story and is content to let the hobbits have theirs.

Now I feel completely content. I would have done the same thing in his shoes.

Malevolent Shapeshifter

8,950 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Invisibility 100
  • Wall Street 200
Winddriven_dreamer
Also, sometimes the wisest people play stupid. It's been too long for me to remember if that was a ploy on his part, but I think that might have been part of it. Mostly, though, I believe his innocence and happiness is what made him seem like he was playing a fool.

I love the way he played the fool.

Beloved Admirer

9,800 Points
  • Love Machine 150
Tsuki Z
Winddriven_dreamer

I love the way he played the fool.

lol! I'm glad you feel better.

Generous Giver

7,875 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Timid 100
I have that one and it is simply wonderful, well all his work is but yeah. sweatdrop If you enjoyed that one I would recommend "Mr. Bliss" it is a book he wrote for children but it is well done as well. smile

Unholy Rogue

12,750 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hunter 50
  • Battle: Rogue 100
One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is that Tom is the "oldest" thing in middle earth. He talks about seeing the Dark Lord come down from the sky, he's talking about witnessing the Valar and Maiar entering the world of Middle Earth from heaven right after it was formed.

Tolkien himself has called Tom an enigma, saying that even he doesn't really know who or what the character is.

Divine Bard

13,025 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
I just had the most awesome idea about Tom Bombadil's identity for a fanfic! *rushes away top start brainstorming*

Dedicated Hunter

7,400 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
I saw the movies before reading the books and I was very disappointed after reading the chapters involving Tom and trying to figure out why it was all taken out and not even in the extended versions of the films.

Malevolent Shapeshifter

8,950 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Invisibility 100
  • Wall Street 200
Canucks_1988
I saw the movies before reading the books and I was very disappointed after reading the chapters involving Tom and trying to figure out why it was all taken out and not even in the extended versions of the films.

They did pay homage to him by having Treebeard use one of his rhymes

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces