Welcome to Gaia! ::

Yes, I know that RPG games (I'm thinking Final Fantasy kind of stuff) have been attempted on Tolkein's world and stories before, but so far, the ones I have seen (Lord of the Rings: The Third Age for PS2, I'm looking at you) have been very poor in their execution.

I still think an RPG based on Tolkein's story and world could work, though, because in both The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings, you have one or two fully-armed parties that traipse through Middle Earth on a long journey, surrounded by an extremely intricately-constructed beautiful world. Since in much of LotR the fellowship is split into two and sometimes even three parties, that can get a bit complicated, but I still think it can be done.

What do you guys think about this idea?
read the simorillian, (prolly spelled wrong). its the tolken bible. read that and you can DM a D&D campaign of greatness..
Turbine's Lord of the Rings online is slowly getting there. They've just recently put out their Rise of Isengard expansion (Isengard, Dunland, and Gap of Rohan). From their game forums, there's been a number of groups that have worked on trying to do a "fellowship march" along the paths mentioned in the books. You definitely get to "interact" with Tolkien's characters, which is one of my favorite parts of the game.

Invisible Gaian

LOTRO did a good job on it, but it takes FOREVER to download.
A Beautiful Farewell
LOTRO did a good job on it, but it takes FOREVER to download.

Most large-scale games will take a while to load (The full download for LOTRO is around 7 GB, and WoW is around 10 GB, I think). But if you have a good connection, you can tackle it in a few hours (when I originally downloaded it, it was during summer session, so I got it going while I was in class and it was done when I got back). In my opinion, definitely worth the wait.

Eloquent Streaker

There are numerous LoTR mods for DnD, all of which can be acquired for free online. Although I doubt that's what you're looking for.
I actually like The Third Age, but anyway....

I've been having RPG fantasies since reading The Silmarillion.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff