Welcome to Gaia! ::

"In a hole in the ground, there lived a Hobbit."

This sentence, casually penned onto the back of a school certificate while J.R.R. Tolkien worked in the late 1920s, can be seen as the line that started it all. From this one, almost non-noteworthy line came The Hobbit, which eventually lead the The Lord of the Ring; and interest in that book is the sole reason for the later publishing of The Silmarillion.

The story of The Hobbit: There And Back Again is that of Bilbo Baggins, the uncle to Frodo Baggins. Like all hobbits, Bilbo was content to living a peaceful, quiet life at home in the Shire; that is, until Gandalf the Grey inspired his Tookish blood, and sent the little guy on a quest to retrieve Dwarvish gold from the foul dragon, Smaug.

During the course of the tale, Bilbo happens entirely by chance upon a plain, golden ring. The consequences of this can be seen 77 years later, when the Dark Lord Sauron finally begins to move against the Free Peoples of Middle-earth.

Many of us will know how the story goes. The rest of us, hopefully, will be inspired to read the story.

Finally, it is note-worthy to mention that even though it was originally meant as a standalone story, completely unrelated to The Quenta Silmarillion, the pages of The Hobbit do tell of many prominent figures within Tolkien's mythology. Elrond, the lord of Rivendell features prominently in an early chapter. He speaks of the great Elvish kingdom of Gondolin, and of their wars against the Goblins. Originally, these names were only borrowed from the great mythology; and it is a good thing they were, for through these borrowed names was the link between The Hobbit to the tales of the First and Second Ages possible.

Rules!

1. No flaming.
2. Stay on topic. This is a Hobbit thread, not a, "Hey, guys, I went to the mall!" thread.
3. Common sense. Use it, people.
4. That official threads like this one, on Gaia, need rules to keep the dumb away, makes me really sad.

"...he remained very happy to the end of his days, and those were exceptionally long."
I need to write a book report, but hate reading. Help!

Have no fear, Fala's here! I shall personally summarize this book for all you lazy folks out there. Print it out and give it to your teacher, and be amazed as a most impressive mark rolls your way!

~*~

In a hole in the ground there lived a Hobbit named Bilbo Bolger-Baggins. Now, he was a very normal Hobbit; very fat and very hairy, but he had a most charming soul and there were few who could hate him. One of Bilbo's greatest fans was the wizard Gandalf the White. One day, Gandalf asked Bilbo if he could do a great favor. 'Bilbo, old chap,' said Gandalf, 'I was wondering if you could go on a quest with 29 Dwarves.'

Bilbo, being a rather decent fellow, agreed, and so he and Gandalf travelled to Riverdella, where Elrond lived, and where the 29 Dwarves were staying. Now, the instant Bilbo met the leader of the Dwarves, Thorin Mapleshield, he knew he was in for some trouble. Thorin was a rude, slobbering, trollish character, and he didn't like Bilbo much at all. In fact, he even ordered three of his most favorite Dwarves to attack Bilbo. Gandalf intervened, and turned the three Dwarves into stone.

Elrond criticized Thorin, and the Dwarf apologized - and never again did he attack Bilbo, for he had taken a liking to the adorable Halfling. Soon afterwards, Bilbo and the 26 remaining Dwarves set out. Gandalf had an errand, so he sent his cousin Alatar the Blue to help out. But Alatar didn't know the mountian roads, and so he got lost in the Olog-hai city. Things seemed doomed for them, when suddenly Deagol appeared with a Magic Ring. 'I stole this Ring from my friend!' said he, alluding to Smeagol of LotR. 'Take it, good Hobbitses, and escape!'

And thus, with the power of invisibility, Bilbo liberated the Dwarves from the Olog-hai city. But they were chased by evil demons out of Hell. Again, things seemed grim; until the Windlord, Beorn the Half-eagle, swooped out of the skies and saved Bilbo, Alatar, Thorin, and 21 of the Dwarves, Yes, he was a very big half-eagle, but not big enough to save five of the Dwarves.

Beorn set the Dwarves down in the middle of the great forest of Mirkwood, but not before advising them to avoid the dread kingdom of the Dark Elves. But alas! the Dark Elves were ever vigilant, and they had their trained spiders capture the Dwarves. Bilbo was able to use the Ring to escape, but he could not save Alatar from death.

What happened next is a tale of amazement. Legolas, prince of the Dark Elves, saw what horrid treatment the vile King Thranduil was committing, and rebelled. Bilbo, using his magic ring, aided the valiant young prince. Thranduil, having long earned the hatred of his peoples, was arrested, and cast from the Caragdur by his brother Turgon the Wise. Thorin and the Dwarves were they released by King Legolas, and they left with the blessing of the newly-freed Dark Elves.

But alas! for before Legolas could act, Thranduil had slain 6 of the Dwarves in cold murder, and one of them was Dis the wife of Thorin Mapleshield. Thus, even though Legolas had nothing but love for the Dwarven people, the feud between the Elves and Dwarves was enflamed. In after days, it was only to the House of Greenleaf Greenleaf that the Dwarves swore friendship.

Yet at last, after making an irrelvant pit stop in the beautiful floating city of Ezgareothopia, the Dwarves come to the Lonely Mountain. But things went ill. The Necromancer, the main villain of the story, appeared before Thorin, the Arkenstone glowing in his Iron Crown. The two engaged in single combat, and Thorin managed to strike at the Necromancer seven times. But the Necromancer, being a demon of great height, towered over Thorin. Necromancer brought his left foot down upon Thorin, crushing the valiant Dwarf. In his dying breath, Thorin hewed at the foot of the Necromancer, but it availed him not. He perished, and the Dwarves and Bilbo despair. But it is said that in after days, the Necromancer walked always with a limp.

Bilbo considers using the ring to sneak up on the Necromancer, but a talking crow tells him that he would be seen, for the Necromancer has several rings of his own. Suddenly, an Eagle comes out of the sky, and bears Thorin's body to a cairn north of Mirkwood. King Legolas, thus learning of Thorin's death, rallies the Dark Elves to war.

The Battle of Five Armies it was called, and it lasted for 50 days. It did not end until the Necromancer unleashed Smaug the Abominable from the Lonely Mountain; yet this was his undoing. Bilbo, knowing the time was ripe, slew Smaug with a single black arrow. Smaug fell onto the Lonely Mountain, crushing both it and the Necromancer.

Suddenly, and at the very last moment, Gandalf appears, and congratulates Bilbo and the two surviving Dwarves, Gloin and Clotch. 'You have suffered many perils,' said the White Wizard, 'but now the gold of the Necromancer is yours to keep!'

And they all lived happily ever after.
The first post is fine.

It explains what happens in the book, without giving too much away.
If I was new to Tolkien, I think I'd want to read The Hobbit based on what you wrote.
It makes it sound very interesting.

Very good.

[edit] I remember that summary. xd
The first post is good, Fala. No need to hate it with a burning passion.

For the reasons Yrch/Kem said.
The first post is lovely, Fala. whee It makes me want to redo my Sil ones.

Now, get up that summary! domokun xd
It's certainly better than whatever I would have come up with. xd

I remember that summary.. whee
That summary...it's amazing. xd
Why thank you. biggrin

We need a discussion topic. Hmmm

DWARVES.

Whatcha think of 'em while reading this book?
Mm, yes, that summary is love.

Dwarves...you like discussing dwarves, don't you? xP

Well, seeing as I read this book after reading LOTR, I already had some view of how dwarves were. Aside from that, the dwarves in the Hobbit amused me greatly. They seemed serious yet fun at the same time, depending on which of the dwarves it was. Like Bombur. I liked Bombur.
Encouraging lazy students, huh Fala?! xd

I liked the dwarves. I agree with Zurgi, silly one minute, serious the other. I liked how they were little busybodies. whee
For some reason, the dwarves while reading that book reminded me of Gremlins....
I liked all the different instruments the dwarves played, especially when they drop in for a surprise visit upon Bilbo. They seemed to me to be craftsmen and scholars of obscure arts and knowledge. Although, they were pretty amusing a lot of the time. whee

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff