Welcome to Gaia! ::

Mora Starseed's Husband

Intellectual Combatant

11,225 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Mark Twain 100
Could they be the same stone? I just finished re-reading the Silmarillion, and, upon reading that Maedhros pitches himself into a deep, lava-filled pit, I can't help but wonder if the Arkenstone is the same gem.

Witty Bibliophile

11,975 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
Arcoon Effox
Could they be the same stone? I just finished re-reading the Silmarillion, and, upon reading that Maedhros pitches himself into a deep, lava-filled pit, I can't help but wonder if the Arkenstone is the same gem.

Considering the way they depicted it in the movie and the effect it has on people in both the original and the adaptation, that is a very good assumption. However, Silmarils burn the hands of the unworthy and I am pretty sure some very unworthy people have handled the Arkenstone with no ill effects. Also, Gandalf (and some of the elves) would have immediately recognized a Silmaril. The Prophecy of Mandos also mentions (I think. I don't have the book with me right now.) that Maedhros's Silmaril will be recovered from the earth after the final battle.

Quotable Smoker

3,950 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
Imrae Myett
Arcoon Effox

Considering the way they depicted it in the movie and the effect it has on people in both the original and the adaptation, that is a very good assumption. However, Silmarils burn the hands of the unworthy and I am pretty sure some very unworthy people have handled the Arkenstone with no ill effects. Also, Gandalf (and some of the elves) would have immediately recognized a Silmaril. The Prophecy of Mandos also mentions (I think. I don't have the book with me right now.) that Maedhros's Silmaril will be recovered from the earth after the final battle.

I genuinely hope that is not the direction PJ is going. I like the original idea of the Arkenstone being an extraordinarily beautiful gem, but not possessing the magic of a Silmaril.

Witty Bibliophile

11,975 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
BruceTonyWayneStark
Imrae Myett
Arcoon Effox

I genuinely hope that is not the direction PJ is going. I like the original idea of the Arkenstone being an extraordinarily beautiful gem, but not possessing the magic of a Silmaril.

He can't bring up to many Silmarillion/Tolkien lore references otherwise the average theater going person will become horribly confused. This is why I feel that the Hobbit has been dumbed down to attract the summer blockbuster crowd. rolleyes

Quotable Smoker

3,950 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
Imrae Myett
BruceTonyWayneStark
Imrae Myett
Arcoon Effox

He can't bring up to many Silmarillion/Tolkien lore references otherwise the average theater going person will become horribly confused. This is why I feel that the Hobbit has been dumbed down to attract the summer blockbuster crowd. rolleyes

That's funny, I was just saying that in the Tauriel thread XD
I totally agree when it comes to the romance and re-hashing of LotR movie cliches. However, PJ has taken some from Unfinished Tales and is also trying to appeal to the hardcore fans by adding more with the White Council and Dol Guldor. I don't know...I haven't ruled out a Silmaril reference from the range of possibility, considering how built up it is in DoS.

Witty Bibliophile

11,975 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
BruceTonyWayneStark
Imrae Myett
BruceTonyWayneStark
Imrae Myett
Arcoon Effox

That's funny, I was just saying that in the Tauriel thread XD
I totally agree when it comes to the romance and re-hashing of LotR movie cliches. However, PJ has taken some from Unfinished Tales and is also trying to appeal to the hardcore fans by adding more with the White Council and Dol Guldor. I don't know...I haven't ruled out a Silmaril reference from the range of possibility, considering how built up it is in DoS.

Well, for every tiny legendarium reference, we get five more minutes of pointless action scenes. That's not a good thing. Also, the PJ movies have lost the essence of The Hobbit. It was supposed to be a fun children's tale, not a D&D session based on a Tolkien book. I hate to admit it, but the animated Hobbit movie was far better than these adaptations

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff