Welcome to Gaia! ::

i have seen the movies multiple times (never read the book) but one thing im curious about and never really understood is where were all the elves going? and why? maybe they touched on the subject and i just don't remember but it seems like they were all abandoning ship long before things even got close to hitting the fan

what exactly is middle earth for that matter? is it the world they live in or is it only like a single continent of a much larger world?
i mean the elves were leaving on boats were they not concerned that sauron would follow them if he got his way?

oh and this just popped into my head but as gandalf said where are gondors armies?
There's another continent called "Valinor" across the ocean to the west of middle earth, created by the "gods" as a haven from evil. When the elves first woke up in the east the gods called to them and told them to cross the ocean to be with them. Some went, some went part of the way and stopped, some went and then came back for various reasons, and some never answered the call in the first place. That's where the difference between all the wood elves, high elves, sea elves, deep elves, dark elves, ect comes from. But they all have the desire to go over the ocean to Valinor. By the end of the third age (when the movies are set), they've mostly all gone.

Mewling Millionaire

9,650 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Survivor 150
Since where the elves are going has been answered, I shall answer your latter questions.
Middle Earth is a single continent of a much larger world, however it is the only surviving one since Valinor is hidden from all except elves leaving Middle Earth and Numenor perished when the Numenoreons broke the Ban of the Valar. As for where Gondor's armies are, I must admit I do not know for certain on this one, however it does mention in the books that Gondor is at the end of its might so their army is nearly entirely gone. The only armies they have are the men who guard the city, the rangers who patrol in Ithilden (correct my spelling here), and the various peoples who live nearby like the knights of Dol Amroth. Finally the elves knew that if Sauron gained the ring, he could eventually assault Valinor, but they were willing to take a chance.

Hot Rot's Prince

Hardened Member

12,200 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Object of Affection 150
hotie000
The only armies they have are the men who guard the city, the rangers who patrol in Ithilden (correct my spelling here), and the various peoples who live nearby like the knights of Dol Amroth.

Faramir and his rangers guard the forest of Ithilien. And was I the only one who was severely disappointed that Prince Imrahil did not get any screen time?
hotie000
he could eventually assault Valinor, but they were willing to take a chance.

Could he have? Didn't Eru Illvutar literally seperate it from Adra and put it in a parallel universe? I mean, what would he do? Sail west? Wouldn't that just lead him to The New Lands? I mean, unless he could somehow open The Straight Road I don't see how he would get there....

Even if he did.... Wouldn't Tulkas just beat the s**t out of him? ;D
Its A Crystal
hotie000

Could he have? Didn't Eru Illvutar literally seperate it from Adra and put it in a parallel universe? I mean, what would he do? Sail west? Wouldn't that just lead him to The New Lands? I mean, unless he could somehow open The Straight Road I don't see how he would get there....

We must also consider his motivations a la "Morgoth's Ring" would Sauron even WANT to attack Valinor? It was Morgoth's end goal to simply destroy everything. Sauron, on the other hand, wanted control. I highly doubt he could control (Or even defeat) all of the Valar, who he would have to fight if he were to try to attack Valinor.

Enduring Lunatic

9,450 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Its A Crystal
hotie000

I don't know about any parallel universe but Valinor, as I understood it, was literally the realm of the gods. that is one fight I don't think he can ever win. his methods are too destructive and the land could never support him in an over seas war. besides evil kept losing all the old wars and the good sides champions are still alive. no balrogs or other more powerful creatures to help even the field. no orc army is going to help him against the forces at Valinor.
Xenar1
Its A Crystal
hotie000

I don't know about any parallel universe but Valinor, as I understood it, was literally the realm of the gods. that is one fight I don't think he can ever win. his methods are too destructive and the land could never support him in an over seas war. besides evil kept losing all the old wars and the good sides champions are still alive. no balrogs or other more powerful creatures to help even the field. no orc army is going to help him against the forces at Valinor.

Well, yes, but I mean, hypothetically you didn't get to Valinor just by sailing west, if that was the case, the surviving Numenoreans would have been much happier.... I think there is a segment in the Silmarillion about the survivors trying to sail west to catch some glimpse of the old west, but never could. Valinor was literally removed from the world.

It isn't technically the realm of the Gods, as the Valar aren't really Gods, they are sort of just.... Archangels if you would. Incredibly powerful spirits who went to Adra to fulfil Eru Illvutars vision. The Realm of The Gods would be wherever Illvutar lives.

That being said, another reason I don't imagine Sauron would try to attack the West is due to the fact that he knows what happened the last time someone did that. Eru himself intervened in the world and ******** s**t up. I think the Silmarillion says that even Sauron was afraid when Eru reshaped the world.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff