• Senpai's Notice 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
Luunna
Carrion Kitten
Luunna
Quote:
He made Pippin screw up too much.

oh no pippin had some sort of viable character arch besides what was seen in the novels HOW DREADFUL

Since when does being dumbed down for the sake of comic relief count as a "viable character arc"? neutral
since when was he dumbed down for the sake of comic relief
he was already pretty dumb in the books

obviously you didn't read the books
he wasn't especially bright, but he certainly wasn't dumb
He seemed to be of rather average intelligence
he was young and curious
I'd hate to think curiosity equates to dumbness in your mind.
Lighting a fire when you're hiding in the dark is dumb. But in the books it was in fact Aragorn who lit the fire, risking danger for warmth, and thinking the wraiths weary of fire anyway.
Messing with a precariously perched skeleton on the edge of a well while trying to be quiet is dumb. Dropping a rock down the well you'll be sleeping very near the edge of to see how deep it is is curiosity, and somewhat of a safety measure.
There are other examples but the point is he was never dumb in the books.

Dedicated Punching Bag

12,925 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
you'll notice, if you look at the other film adaptation of saruman, he also does not retain his rainbow robe
thats because if he did, it'd look ******** stupid and nobody would take him seriously as an antagonist

Even Gandalf seemed to think he looked ridiculous, I think that was the point.
Connor the Hobbit
Luunna
Carrion Kitten
Luunna
Quote:

oh no pippin had some sort of viable character arch besides what was seen in the novels HOW DREADFUL

Since when does being dumbed down for the sake of comic relief count as a "viable character arc"? neutral

he was young and curious
Lighting a fire when you're hiding in the dark is dumb. But in the books it was in fact Aragorn who lit the fire, risking danger for warmth, and thinking the wraiths weary of fire anyway.
Messing with a precariously perched skeleton on the edge of a well while trying to be quiet is dumb. Dropping a rock down the well you'll be sleeping very near the edge of to see how deep it is is curiosity, and somewhat of a safety measure.
im in the process of it but he sure as s**t isn't smart so far
no matter how you look at it, when youre specifically told that you are keeping a low profile, walking into a bar and loudly telling everyone about how your undercover friend's famous uncle vanished at a public event is pretty ******** stupid
not ~youthful naiivete~, not ~curiosity~, it sure isnt a ~safety measure,~ its a flat-out stupid thing to do.
and pippin's among my favourite characters as well so it isnt like i hate him or anything, im just willing to accept that he's not a very smart hobbit and that naiivete and curiosity can sometimes go hand-in-hand with - and, indeed, directly be the cause of - being a total dolt and not thinking about what you're doing
also: that wasn't just pip in the movies, it can be assumed that it was all of the hobbits minus frodo who lit the fire

you could argue the same point for the skeleton, really. all he did was touch and investigate it, he didnt full-on SHOULDER CHECK it into the well or anything
also >safety measure
how
for what reason is that a safety measure
why would they ever need to know how far the well goes down when they could just stay away from the well
its probably not gonna have any water that they can reach or would be safe to drink anyway

also lol no other comment on any other point i raised then?
because i know it didnt take you this long to come up with that alone
Connor the Hobbit
you'll notice, if you look at the other film adaptation of saruman, he also does not retain his rainbow robe
thats because if he did, it'd look ******** stupid and nobody would take him seriously as an antagonist

why'd you just copypaste what i said instead of quoting lmfao
im already here anyway so im gonna see it, notif or no

and thats probably the point of him not having it if i had to guess
nobody in the audience would take him seriously
what im gathering from all of your complaints is that you wanted the movies to be as camp as possible so that everyone would be too distracted to actually pay attention to the story
this costume might work in a novel without being overly distracting, but in a movie, it doesnt matter how many times you see the old wizard in the bright rainbow robe, or the dancing, singing lumberjack summoned by rhyme - you will never get used to them and it will jar you from the experience every time you see them on screen

Dedicated Punching Bag

12,925 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
Luunna
Connor the Hobbit

what im gathering from all of your complaints is that you wanted the movies to be as camp as possible so that everyone would be too distracted to actually pay attention to the story
this costume might work in a novel without being overly distracting, but in a movie, it doesnt matter how many times you see the old wizard in the bright rainbow robe, or the dancing, singing lumberjack summoned by rhyme - you will never get used to them and it will jar you from the experience every time you see them on screen

Don't talk to me like I'm a dumbass. I accidently ******** up the coding, whatever, I was in a hurry to go get lunch for my godson.
And in my extremely active imagination, where in reading something I can imagine it perfectly as if a movie, his robe was somewhat distracting, but you may have a different idea than I of what it looked like. There's a certain kind of snake... I can't for the life of me remember what it's called now... but it's scales seem black but show all colors of the rainbow as it moves through the light, which is more how I imagined the robe.
I don't see why what's in the mind should be any different on screen, but that leads to a whole new realm of controversy.
Connor the Hobbit
Luunna
Connor the Hobbit

Don't talk to me like I'm a dumbass. I accidently ******** up the coding, whatever, I was in a hurry to go get lunch for my godson.
And in my extremely active imagination, where in reading something I can imagine it perfectly as if a movie, his robe was somewhat distracting, but you may have a different idea than I of what it looked like. There's a certain kind of snake... I can't for the life of me remember what it's called now... but it's scales seem black but show all colors of the rainbow as it moves through the light, which is more how I imagined the robe.
I don't see why what's in the mind should be any different on screen, but that leads to a whole new realm of controversy.
oh my god calm down lmfao
there is no reason to get THAT UPSET its gaia online for cripes sake
how was i supposed to know what you were doing, where i am its like 6 PM also which is not lunchtime

point, and if that's how they did it, it might have worked. but it wasn't.
like nobody's taking how YOU envision the characters away, thats just how they decided to do his robe in the movies. its hardly detrimental to the films themselves to deviate from something as petty as the color of saruman's robe

correction: what's in YOUR mind
unless you worked with john howe and the other well-known tolkien artists on the movie i dont see why you're taking the fact that they didnt go with your ideas so personally
you are not the movie's jilted ex, you know

Dedicated Punching Bag

12,925 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
Luunna
Connor the Hobbit
Luunna
Carrion Kitten
Luunna
Quote:

he was young and curious
no matter how you look at it, when youre specifically told that you are keeping a low profile, walking into a bar and loudly telling everyone about how your undercover friend's famous uncle vanished at a public event is pretty ******** stupid
not ~youthful naiivete~, not ~curiosity~, it sure isnt a ~safety measure,~ its a flat-out stupid thing to do.
and pippin's among my favourite characters as well so it isnt like i hate him or anything, im just willing to accept that he's not a very smart hobbit and that naiivete and curiosity can sometimes go hand-in-hand with - and, indeed, directly be the cause of - being a total dolt and not thinking about what you're doing
also: that wasn't just pip in the movies, it can be assumed that it was all of the hobbits minus frodo who lit the fire

you could argue the same point for the skeleton, really. all he did was touch and investigate it, he didnt full-on SHOULDER CHECK it into the well or anything
also >safety measure
how
why would they ever need to know how far the well goes down when they could just stay away from the well
its probably not gonna have any water that they can reach or would be safe to drink anyway

the well was just an opening in the ground, and they were sleeping right next to it. Why they wouldn't just move? I don't know, ask Tolkien.
As far as getting around to your other points, sorry if I have better things to do. I'll get around to them, but I'm working 3 jobs, my fosterbrother/godson just moved in with me yesterday, and I don't have internet at home or a smart phone, I have to go to the library, a friend's house, or my old foster mom's house.
Connor the Hobbit
Luunna
Connor the Hobbit
Luunna
Carrion Kitten

he was young and curious

also >safety measure
how

the well was just an opening in the ground, and they were sleeping right next to it. Why they wouldn't just move? I don't know, ask Tolkien.
As far as getting around to your other points, sorry if I have better things to do. I'll get around to them, but I'm working 3 jobs, my fosterbrother/godson just moved in with me yesterday, and I don't have internet at home or a smart phone, I have to go to the library, a friend's house, or my old foster mom's house.
i still dont understand how throwing a stone down the well was a safety measure
if youre asleep and you roll down a hole of any depth, youre ******** to some capacity
all knowing how far the hole goes tells you is just HOW ******** you are

dude it took me literally less then five minutes to type that and ive seen you posting on gaia almost every day since then
youre gonna have to do better then the passive-aggressive 'i have a life (and you clearly dont you dumb troll)' argument
like i dont even care all that much
as soon as you stop replying im gone, i just find it funny that these are what you go after, as opposed to everything else i threw out

Dedicated Punching Bag

12,925 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
Luunna
Connor the Hobbit
Luunna
Connor the Hobbit

how was i supposed to know what you were doing, where i am its like 6 PM also which is not lunchtime

like nobody's taking how YOU envision the characters away, thats just how they decided to do his robe in the movies. its hardly detrimental to the films themselves to deviate from something as petty as the color of saruman's robe

unless you worked with john howe and the other well-known tolkien artists on the movie i dont see why you're taking the fact that they didnt go with your ideas so personally

I'm not even upset... and don't start on "oh well sorry, I coldn't tell". obviously you couldn't tell. You're reading text and tone wasn't really conveyed. You need to chill. You're calling me out on my mistakes just trying to get under my skin it seems.... it's annoying, but I'm calm, because there is no point to getting mad. I'm not an idiot and don't appreciate being talked to like one. That's all.
And sadly, I wasn't there to work with the tolkien artists. Why the hell would I take personally that my vision isn't what they used? I don't at all, I'm just saying that I think they could have done a better job. I'm not going to change anything unless I make my own movie obviously, and I'm too busy (and poor) for that. Oh well. I don't see why you seem to think I'm some sort of oozing ball of epic uncontrollable emotion. I'm aloud to complain about his work, but it's not like I can't sleep at night because I think he could have done a better job.

Dedicated Punching Bag

12,925 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
Luunna
Connor the Hobbit
Luunna
Connor the Hobbit
Luunna
Carrion Kitten

he was young and curious

also >safety measure
how

if youre asleep and you roll down a hole of any depth, youre ******** to some capacity

dude it took me literally less then five minutes to type that and ive seen you posting on gaia almost every day since then
youre gonna have to do better then the passive-aggressive 'i have a life (and you clearly dont you dumb troll)' argument
as soon as you stop replying im gone, i just find it funny that these are what you go after, as opposed to everything else i threw out

You're just annoying... Why does everyone think they know my life from some stupid trvial s**t? I go on every day for about an hour, but I forgot this page existed til I got a notification today that there was a new reply.
Connor the Hobbit
Luunna
Connor the Hobbit
Luunna
Connor the Hobbit

I'm not even upset... and don't start on "oh well sorry, I coldn't tell". obviously you couldn't tell. You're reading text and tone wasn't really conveyed. You need to chill. You're calling me out on my mistakes just trying to get under my skin it seems.... it's annoying, but I'm calm, because there is no point to getting mad. I'm not an idiot and don't appreciate being talked to like one. That's all.
And sadly, I wasn't there to work with the tolkien artists. Why the hell would I take personally that my vision isn't what they used? I don't at all, I'm just saying that I think they could have done a better job. I'm not going to change anything unless I make my own movie obviously, and I'm too busy (and poor) for that. Oh well. I don't see why you seem to think I'm some sort of oozing ball of epic uncontrollable emotion. I'm aloud to complain about his work, but it's not like I can't sleep at night because I think he could have done a better job.
"Don't talk to me like I'm a dumbass. I accidently ******** up the coding, whatever, I was in a hurry to go get lunch for my godson." that makes you sound really upset bud
no, just because i disagree doesnt really mean im doing it specifically to get you angry. i just see this thrown around a lot and ive noticed that a lot of the qualms between the book and the movie are relatively small issues

you seem pretty peeved about it, what with the 'I DONT SEE WHY WHAT'S IN THE MIND SHOULD BE ANY DIFFERENT ON SCREEN' talk. you seem to hold the belief that what you envisioned when you read the books is what everyone did, and that your interpretations are the correct ones, and that the fact that they deviated from that makes them wrong and you right.
and maybe i think that because you seem to be under the impression that 'boromir didnt have brown hair in the films' is a valid complaint, i dunno lol
Connor the Hobbit
Luunna
Connor the Hobbit
Luunna
Connor the Hobbit

he was young and curious

also >safety measure
how

You're just annoying... Why does everyone think they know my life from some stupid trvial s**t? I go on every day for about an hour, but I forgot this page existed til I got a notification today that there was a new reply.
im talking to a good friend of mine on msn live while this happens
"next thing you know he's gonna post
I'M HAVING A HARD TIME YOU'RE OBVIOUSLY SUPPOSED TO FEEL BAD FOR ME "

boy did she call it lol

Dedicated Punching Bag

12,925 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
Luunna
Connor the Hobbit
Luunna
Connor the Hobbit
Luunna
Connor the Hobbit

he was young and curious

also >safety measure
how

boy did she call it lol

replying to both in one, cause this computer is slow as s**t
i didn't say it had to be exactly as I invisioned it, I'm just saying for someone who claims to have done his best to stay true to the book, he did a shitty job. Ignoring the book-movie similarity factor, he made wonderful movies.
I'm cursey and often come across as emotional while typing, but I've really got about as much emotion of kristen stewart (though I'm sure I'd make a much better actor)
and no i don't want you to feel bad for me. i don't feel bad for me. I graduated at 16, I could have gotten amazing scholarships and gotten into a great college and gotten a great job, but I didn't care about my IQ being a few points short of genius, I just wanted to get jobs as a could and live a simple life smoking my pipe and living with friends. I'm quite happy, but I am usually busy. Today I happen to not have much to do, but this computer is painfully slow, so I'm going to smoke and go for a long walk.
I'll reply to everything else when I have access to a faster computer.
Connor the Hobbit
Luunna
Connor the Hobbit
Luunna
Connor the Hobbit

boy did she call it lol

i didn't say it had to be exactly as I invisioned it, I'm just saying for someone who claims to have done his best to stay true to the book, he did a shitty job. Ignoring the book-movie similarity factor, he made wonderful movies.
I'm cursey and often come across as emotional while typing, but I've really got about as much emotion of kristen stewart (though I'm sure I'd make a much better actor)
and no i don't want you to feel bad for me. i don't feel bad for me. I graduated at 16, I could have gotten amazing scholarships and gotten into a great college and gotten a great job, but I didn't care about my IQ being a few points short of genius, I just wanted to get jobs as a could and live a simple life smoking my pipe and living with friends. I'm quite happy, but I am usually busy. Today I happen to not have much to do, but this computer is painfully slow, so I'm going to smoke and go for a long walk.
again, things that work in a novel won't work as well in film. the animated lord of the rings proved that pretty well, and bakshi even knew better then to touch tom bombadil

it sure sounds like you do, what with the 'WHY DOES EVERYONE THINK THEY UNDERSTAND ME' and the big list of all of your difficulties lately and all
so wait
youre telling me that you graduated a genius at 16, and then never went to college and are now working three (presumably) dead-end jobs instead of making a difference in the world
interesting i suppose
im not in a rush or anything, i really dont care lol

Dedicated Punching Bag

12,925 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
Luunna
Connor the Hobbit
Luunna
Connor the Hobbit
Luunna
Connor the Hobbit

boy did she call it lol

again, things that work in a novel won't work as well in film. the animated lord of the rings proved that pretty well, and bakshi even knew better then to touch tom bombadil

it sure sounds like you do, what with the 'WHY DOES EVERYONE THINK THEY UNDERSTAND ME' and the big list of all of your difficulties lately and all
so wait
youre telling me that you graduated a genius at 16, and then never went to college and are now working three (presumably) dead-end jobs instead of making a difference in the world
interesting i suppose
im not in a rush or anything, i really dont care lol

Not making a difference in the world?
Well you can tell that to the hundreds of animals I've saved and dozens I've converted to socialism. I don't mean to brag or anything, but I kind of matter in my community razz

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff