Welcome to Gaia! ::

Who's your favourite character?

OTHER (PM Falmariel and tell her... too many characters to name, the poll results is the third post.) 1 100.0% [ 235 ]
Total Votes:[ 235 ]
< 1 2 3 ... 12 13 14

[Cresenne]
Wasn't Eärendil raised at the Mouths of Sirion, after the Havens were destroyed?

No, Earendil was mostly raised in Gondolin. I'm not sure how old he was when it fell. He ruled at the Havens at the Mouth of Sirion until the Sons of Feanor came down upon them.

OrionsGift
Personally, I like the Lay of Beren and Luthien, that was my favorite part of the whole book.

If the producers turned just that chapter and ONLY that chapter into a movie, it might actually be fairly decent. (I mean...really, there's enough stuff crammed in that one chapter for a 2, maybe 3, hour movie.)

Haha, I used to love the Lay of Leithian, but not as much anymore. Half the characters make me angry, and Finrod just makes me sad.

There would be so much backstory to put into a film like that to make it understandable, though. It's totally based in both the history of Feanor's Silmarilli and the events at the Bragollach. And probably more that I don't remember. It would be very hard to do correctly, and there's so much I'd hate to see cut out or made one dimensional (yay Feanorions).

But yeah, Beren and Luthien or Turin Turambar would probably be the best bets to put on film.
[Cresenne]
Wasn't Eärendil raised at the Mouths of Sirion, after the Havens were destroyed?

Rhaella
No, Earendil was mostly raised in Gondolin. I'm not sure how old he was when it fell. He ruled at the Havens at the Mouth of Sirion until the Sons of Feanor came down upon them.

Okay, I just looked it up. Eärendil was 7 when Gondolin fell. So you could say that he was raised at Gondolin and at Sirion.

But there I was pointing out that he had said that Eärendil was raised at the Havens of Brithombar and Eglarest, not at Sirion.
Rhaella
Fala's Summary, stolen from the Tolkien Sarcasm Page:

Quote:
Well, this book is really complicated, but I'll try to hit the high points real quickly. Maybe someday, when I have more time, I can improve on this.

God created the angels, and the angels created the world. But the Elves created the Silmarils, the Great Jewels, and fought over them for generations until Melkor, one of the greatest angels, took them away for safekeeping.

But Melkor's brother Morgoth stole the Silmarils, and the Elves swore they would fight the angels forever until they got the Silmarils back. The story is an allegory for greed, and also a tale JRRT told to demonstrate that you can never hope to fight God. In the end a brave Man named Beren steals the Silmarils from Morgoth, and when the Elves try to kill him to get them back (this is where the estrangement of Elves and Men occurs, which is to haunt JRRT's other works), he gives them to his son Earendil to take across the Sea and back to Heaven. And that's how peace is restored to Middle-earth.

8,350 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Prayer Circle 200
well the middle earth idea is cool instead of the future... people imagination can get out of hand.. like the terminator

TR3X419 rolled 20 100-sided dice: 96, 47, 62, 48, 15, 12, 69, 8, 37, 98, 33, 25, 29, 79, 38, 63, 74, 33, 65, 70 Total: 1001 (20-2000)

/forum/compose/entry/new/10137638 well it was cool

8,600 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
(This thread necro is making me feel dirty...)

So, I'm finally starting to read The Simarillion. I've always loved Lord of the Rings, so I thought it might be interesting to get some more background history.

I'm only a fifth of the way through the book, but a much as I hate to say it, it's rather dry. Still, maybe it'll get more interesting now that it's getting to the destruction of the Two Trees.

Honestly, the hardest part about reading it is the names. There are always a dozen names for everything and they're all so similar. Thank goodness for the guide in the back. lol

So, discuss. Have you read The Simarillion? Did you like it? Find it to be a difficult read?
I'm reading it again, finding it so much easier to read than the first time.
I've definitely read the Silmarillion, hence this username and this costume..

>>

I think that I need to read it again to get my Annatar Fair Sauron cosplaying skills up to par....
Rhaella
Fala's Summary, stolen from the Tolkien Sarcasm Page:

Quote:
Well, this book is really complicated, but I'll try to hit the high points real quickly. Maybe someday, when I have more time, I can improve on this.

God created the angels, and the angels created the world. But the Elves created the Silmarils, the Great Jewels, and fought over them for generations until Melkor, one of the greatest angels, took them away for safekeeping.

But Melkor's brother Morgoth stole the Silmarils, and the Elves swore they would fight the angels forever until they got the Silmarils back. The story is an allegory for greed, and also a tale JRRT told to demonstrate that you can never hope to fight God. In the end a brave Man named Beren steals the Silmarils from Morgoth, and when the Elves try to kill him to get them back (this is where the estrangement of Elves and Men occurs, which is to haunt JRRT's other works), he gives them to his son Earendil to take across the Sea and back to Heaven. And that's how peace is restored to Middle-earth.

Melkor and Morgoth are the same person. /Facepalm
Nesting Comments
(This thread necro is making me feel dirty...)

So, I'm finally starting to read The Simarillion. I've always loved Lord of the Rings, so I thought it might be interesting to get some more background history.

I'm only a fifth of the way through the book, but a much as I hate to say it, it's rather dry. Still, maybe it'll get more interesting now that it's getting to the destruction of the Two Trees.

Honestly, the hardest part about reading it is the names. There are always a dozen names for everything and they're all so similar. Thank goodness for the guide in the back. lol

So, discuss. Have you read The Simarillion? Did you like it? Find it to be a difficult read?

I found the names to be difficult while I read it as well.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff