Liked it 0.21527777777778 21.5% [ 31 ]
Hated it! 0.027777777777778 2.8% [ 4 ]
Never saw it 0.027777777777778 2.8% [ 4 ]
Total Votes:[ 144 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 >

Hoshi Izumi
MoonwalkingDuck
Hoshi Izumi
Did you hear that Benedict Cumberbatch, the guy who played as Khan in the latest Star Trek sequel, might be doing the voice of Smaug AND playing as the Necromancer eek ? Though I can't be sure if this is true, so don't take my word for it talk2hand

He is smaug Im almost certain of that. he is announced as smaug and in the new trailer the dragons voice has enough epicness to be him whee

Yes, that is true, and he is also going to play as the Necromancer. What a busy actor! 3nodding

Double Cumberbatch! This movie will be even more amazing blaugh
I loved The Hobbit! biggrin

I'm upset that it's a trilogy, but I can't wait to see the Desolation of Smaug biggrin I'm a huge LOTR fan. The only thing that bothers me is that elven chick -_- I don't like how they add characters that aren't in the book...I don't like how this elf is Legolas's love interest -____- It's supposed to be a sausage fest rofl
Yeah, I'm a little bothered about the elven chick too...but think about what Jackson did with Arwen in LOTR neutral . It's basically the same thing, only it's a made-up character, so Jackson can go a little further with the strong female character thing that's popular in movies right now exclaim

Shy Conversationalist

Despite its deviance from the original work, I still really enjoyed the first movie. I thought that Martin Freeman was just spot on as Bilbo. I'm super excited for the second installment in the series. I'm a little worried about the addition of a new female elf, though. I know she's supposed to give the movies a little "girl power" or whatever, but come on. It's okay to have a movie with all men in it, guys.

SpookyNewman's Husband

Space Vampire

8,700 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Flatterer 200
I am still excited to go see it because i know the beginning of the book was as slow moving as the movie and it is going to pick up and become ridiculous with Desolation of Smaug.
Destiny_doodles
I am still excited to go see it because i know the beginning of the book was as slow moving as the movie and it is going to pick up and become ridiculous with Desolation of Smaug.

Actually, the book picks up more with the Battle of the Five Armies, but Smaug destroying the lake town does set the bad stuff in motion 3nodding .

SpookyNewman's Husband

Space Vampire

8,700 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Flatterer 200
Hoshi Izumi
Destiny_doodles

Actually, the book picks up more with the Battle of the Five Armies, but Smaug destroying the lake town does set the bad stuff in motion 3nodding .

I am aware. But compared to the first it is going to be quite a bit more intense
Weet battle scenes. Although, I'm actually most looking forward to seeing Mirkwood.

Hoshi Izumi
Yeah, I'm a little bothered about the elven chick too...but think about what Jackson did with Arwen in LOTR neutral . It's basically the same thing, only it's a made-up character, so Jackson can go a little further with the strong female character thing that's popular in movies right now exclaim

Good point. I hope that through Lilly's character we'll get to see a different dynamic then with just guys. I remember reading through the Hobbit and musing where all the females characters went.

According to IMDB "Peter Jackson has confirmed there will be no romantic connection to Legolas"
Yeah, J.R.R. Tolkien was kind of a sexist like that. I mean, in The Fellowship, Arwen just sits on a throne and looks pretty rolleyes . As for the female elf having no romantic interest in Legolas, I guess that's a good thing, considering she's probably going get bumped off in the third installment, or at the very least, leave and never be mentioned again (I'm just speculating neutral ). I swear, this whole thing with the Hobbit Triology reminds me of the Star Wars Prequels sweatdrop , only not as dark but with the same potential of creating plot-holes through the additions Peter Jackson is making in his attempt to make The Hobbit just as serious as The Lord of the Rings movies.
Hoshi Izumi
Yeah, J.R.R. Tolkien was kind of a sexist like that. I mean, in The Fellowship, Arwen just sits on a throne and looks pretty rolleyes . As for the female elf having no romantic interest in Legolas, I guess that's a good thing, considering she's probably going get bumped off in the third installment, or at the very least, leave and never be mentioned again (I'm just speculating neutral ). I swear, this whole thing with the Hobbit Triology reminds me of the Star Wars Prequels sweatdrop , only not as dark but with the same potential of creating plot-holes through the additions Peter Jackson is making in his attempt to make The Hobbit just as serious as The Lord of the Rings movies.

Actually, Tolkien's view on women is rather intriguing. He doesn't write about women much but the one's he does write about he gives really amazing roles. Arwen, Galadriel, Eowyn, Luthien. You can't deny that each of those characters are created with great respect to women. Suggests that the times he left out women was simply because he did not think he could do justice writing them. Maybe that is still sexist.
Rudhheniel
Hoshi Izumi

Actually, Tolkien's view on women is rather intriguing. He doesn't write about women much but the one's he does write about he gives really amazing roles. Arwen, Galadriel, Eowyn, Luthien. You can't deny that each of those characters are created with great respect to women. Suggests that the times he left out women was simply because he did not think he could do justice writing them. Maybe that is still sexist.

I sorta see what you mean, but apart from Eowyn, none of the LOTR women actually fight, or have significant influence on the plot overall except during the times that they show up.
Hoshi Izumi
I sorta see what you mean, but apart from Eowyn, none of the LOTR women actually fight, or have significant influence on the plot overall except during the times that they show up.

Luthien is pretty kick-a** in Silmarillion. Galadriel is powerful in her own right as well. Arwen...well fair point, but I would argue hers is a different sort of strength. To leave her people to be with the man she loves and give up her immortality. That's pretty significant.
Rudhheniel
Hoshi Izumi

Luthien is pretty kick-a** in Silmarillion. Galadriel is powerful in her own right as well. Arwen...well fair point, but I would argue hers is a different sort of strength. To leave her people to be with the man she loves and give up her immortality. That's pretty significant.

Yeah, I get the impression that Galadriel is powerful neutral , but she's only there to fulfill the role of the Wise Woman. I don't know Luthien well, cuz I've never read the Silmarillion sweatdrop , but what Arwen did wasn't so much significant as was typical of most fictional girls who fall in love. I mean rolleyes , she's no different than Ariel who gave up being a mermaid to be with the man she loved, or Bella who gave up her humanity to be Edward's mate-forever as an accursed vampire. Sure, there was that whole Arwen's-fate-is-tied-to-the-ring thing, but that was just to give Aragorn more unnecessary motivation to defeat Sauron, who was already established as being evil without involving Arwen, and other than that, Arwen was just the trophy girl that Aragorn was going to win in the end rolleyes .
Hoshi Izumi
Yeah, I get the impression that Galadriel is powerful neutral , but she's only there to fulfill the role of the Wise Woman. I don't know Luthien well, cuz I've never read the Silmarillion sweatdrop , but what Arwen did wasn't so much significant as was typical of most fictional girls who fall in love. I mean rolleyes , she's no different than Ariel who gave up being a mermaid to be with the man she loved, or Bella who gave up her humanity to be Edward's mate-forever as an accursed vampire. Sure, there was that whole Arwen's-fate-is-tied-to-the-ring thing, but that was just to give Aragorn more unnecessary motivation to defeat Sauron, who was already established as being evil without involving Arwen, and other than that, Arwen was just the trophy girl that Aragorn was going to win in the end rolleyes .

Well the fact remains that Arwen, Evenstar of her people chose to give up her life with her own kind to live in foreign land and be a "trophy girl". She made that choice even before knowing that Aragorn would live to be king. In an ironic way she gave him hope. Falling in love is easy. I would argue that giving up your life and the people that you have loved is not.
Rudhheniel
Hoshi Izumi

Well the fact remains that Arwen, Evenstar of her people chose to give up her life with her own kind to live in foreign land and be a "trophy girl". She made that choice even before knowing that Aragorn would live to be king. In an ironic way she gave him hope. Falling in love is easy. I would argue that giving up your life and the people that you have loved is not.

Okay, I'll give her that. Choosing between your people and the man you love is no small task, and her willing to give up everything before things were set in stone was pretty bold. I just don't know if there's actual power in doing that, however talk2hand .

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff