Welcome to Gaia! ::

I was about nine or ten when I first read The Hobbit. It took me about a week, perhaps. I read Lord of the Rings a few years later, when I was 13, going on 14. I absolutely loved them; I stayed up nearly every night just reading the books by a flashlight while I was supposed to be sleeping. Took me about two weeks to finish all three books

. I've re-read them twice before, and am currently re-reading them again, since The Hobbit will be coming out in less than two months. Still one of my favorites to this day. biggrin

Tiny Senshi

12,450 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
Far over the misty mountains cold.
To dungeons deep, and caverns old.
The pines were roaring on the height.

The Hobbit took me 2 days. I'm just now getting to reading The Fellowship. When I was younger I had no real interest in reading the books because they're so old and beaten up.User Image

The winds were moaning in the night.
The fire was red, it flaming spread.
The trees like torchers blazed with light.

Dapper Lunatic

10,550 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
I read them when I was 17, took me roughly a month to read LOTR & about a week to read The Hobbit. As for Silmarillion...well that took me quite a while longer.

Eloquent Streaker

Sadly, I don't think I've ever actually finished any of Tolkien's books other than The Hobbit. I actually need to get new copies of them.

Invisible Bookworm

I was ten and it took me five days to read the trilogy + The Hobbit . And three weeks to read Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales and The Children of Húrin.

Interesting Shapeshifter

7,000 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Member 100
I was about twelve when I read the hobbit, it only took me a couple of months

Newbie Citizen

The first time I've read Tolkien's books - I think was thirteen. It took me three days to finish the Hobbit and a week to finish the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Ever since then, I've re-read it four times. It took me a shorter time - eventually it became 4 days for 4 books.

Eloquent Streaker

Don't think I've actually finished the books for The Lord of the Rings. Lost my copies of Fellowship and Towers long ago, and I read Return up to a little past the destruction of The Ring before I put it down. Can't find it now, so I need to go buy new copies. I remember enough of them to recognize some of the changes the movies made, however.

The Hobbit, however, took me just under a week to finish.

Apocalyptic Singing

15,450 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
About a week and a half with each book, but I'd not had much interest in the whole story until the trailer left gaping holes. Between work and school, I think I managed pretty well. Read the LotR's about 2-3 times but I took extra time to re-read my favorite parts. I've read the Hobbit in 4 days (first I'd been introduced to) about 6 times and all of them under a week. I'm dragging it out to December this time to properly digest what I've read. XD

Aged Poster

4,300 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Streaker 200
  • Partygoer 500
I must have been 17 when I read my first and last lord of the ring book which was return of the king, the only part of the story I did not know about. Memory is fuzzy but it porbably took me 2 weeks with school. It was a really fun book. Although the second time I decided to read it, I fell asleep which is weird maybe I was really tired that day wink

Distinct Dabbler

6,200 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
Tsuki Z
Well, I didn't touch the Lord of the Rings till I was about twelve. I think it took me a week to finish all three books.
I started with the Hobbit when I was ten though and I loved it. It took two days to finish but I kept reading it over and over till I could recite the first ten pages or so.

This is pretty much exactly my story. With the exception of the hobbit, which i read at 14, 2 years after i got through the LOTR trilogy 3nodding

Savage Firestarter

8,200 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Invisibility 100
  • Wall Street 200
AmberFae17
Tsuki Z
Well, I didn't touch the Lord of the Rings till I was about twelve. I think it took me a week to finish all three books.
I started with the Hobbit when I was ten though and I loved it. It took two days to finish but I kept reading it over and over till I could recite the first ten pages or so.

This is pretty much exactly my story. With the exception of the hobbit, which i read at 14, 2 years after i got through the LOTR trilogy 3nodding

I did try to read LOTR first but I was a kid and the language kinda intimidated me. But the Hobbit was written for kids so I think that's why I took it in so easily.

Hygienic Genius

4,750 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Grunny Grabber 50
I'm currently reading them for the first time, I'm up to the Two Towers and have nearly finished it. I would have probably finished them sooner but mum would kill me.

Tipsy Smoker

5,550 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
I own a '91 hardcover copy with all 3 of them in it, 1193 pages with all the appendixes, books, and maps. Only on page 457, but I am a slow reader and I as well enjoy reading outloud. It's soothing, being in another world. Definitely keeping this forever, EDIT: first time going through it but not my last!

Aekea Scarface

I just finished The Lord of the Rings* {save for the appendices, which I'm currently reading} for the first time, and it took me roughly a month to finish it all. Granted, I had gone a couple {or maybe a few, but I forget} of weeks without really doing any reading. This week I realized I hadn't been reading as much as I should be, so I picked up the pace. I finished The Two Towers on the 7th and started Return of the King the next day. I just finished it at least 30 or so minutes ago.

*Like others here, I also have a copy that contains all the books + appendices, etc.

{I hope to have The Hobbit started by Saturday or Sunday.}

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games