Welcome to Gaia! ::

Nandelle
ChewySkywalker

My favourite article would have to be the one that told me I could take courses in college that taught Tolkien's languages. There was an Orcish class in Texas

Orkish? What... all five words of it? xd

There was a Quenya class at my school this winter. I didn't stay J-term, though, so I didn't take it. And it was given by a student... and taking a class from someone at my own level... surprised

I should put up the next lesson soon. But I'm tired right now and just got out of class. Sometime before midnight, maybe I'll do it. Either that or tomorrow. 3nodding

That would be awesome to take classes like that in college. I'm graduating from high school this year, so maybe I'll be doing to college next year, I'll have to see if they have any of those in the colleges that I'm looking into. I know the words fairly well, but I'm pretty horrible at the pronunciation. It really sounds weird speaking Sindarin and Quenya in a Spanish accent. eek
xenarlinn89

That would be awesome to take classes like that in college. I'm graduating from high school this year, so maybe I'll be doing to college next year, I'll have to see if they have any of those in the colleges that I'm looking into. I know the words fairly well, but I'm pretty horrible at the pronunciation. It really sounds weird speaking Sindarin and Quenya in a Spanish accent. eek

Yeah... the little bit of Sindarin I know I speak with a French accent. xd

At times, though, a Spanish accent is pretty close to Quenya. Not always... and never the French. sweatdrop

I was reading a little bit of Finnish the other day... I can see where the influence came from! (I don't speak a word of Finnish xd )
I'm trying to learn Quenya for the hell of it blaugh , but it's hard. I also want to lean Italien, German and Latin. For now, the only one I'm getting somewhere on is the German thing.
You rock my world.
I once used Grelvish... what a fool... But I stopped soon after because of the Namarie... it had been placed as Naamarie which is obvous mistake... Now I have a who dictionary on my word as well as grammer biggrin
Galorfil
I once used Grelvish... what a fool... But I stopped soon after because of the Namarie... it had been placed as Naamarie which is obvous mistake... Now I have a who dictionary on my word as well as grammer biggrin

If you ever see it as "namaarie", that's actually a rather weird (to me, at least) way to write it, since the accent over the second A makes it a long vowel. 3nodding

Yeah... I promised another lesson. Hopefully when I get back from my next class...
Interesting Fact:

In Sindarin the noun comes before the adjectives. In Quenya the adjectives come before the noun like in english.

Now this is a very stylish bump. I kick a**.
greenkitsu
It's all very informative but no matter how much I try it still makes my brain hurt!!!! *sniffy* cry

totally agrees! crying
this topic is one of the most useful and interesting of the forum ! the links are really useful...but I've not enough english to understand all.

Edhellos, do you know any french sites ? because you speak fluent french...

Glorifith Annun : Hey In that way sindarin is similar to french !
Bluering Bearer
Glorifith Annun : Hey In that way sindarin is similar to french !

Wow, someone actually read my intesting fact/bump. YAY!

^__^

I forgot french did that.
Nouns, the Article

Nouns in Quenya

The first thing you should know is that nouns in Quenya come in tons and tons of different forms. While English doesn’t have more than four forms: the normal one, plural, and possessive singular and plural (house, houses, house’s, houses’), Quenya is going to have a lot more. Words denoting “for, from, to, of” and others are added to the end of the noun in Quenya as well. Don’t let this discourage you, we won’t be dealing with most of them for a while, and they’re easy enough to get used to after a bit of practice.

In Quenya, there are two different types of plurals.

The first type of plural discussed is a “partitive plural”, which indicates that it may be used to refer to a few out of a larger group. This is formed by adding the ending -li to the noun. For example, Eldali (formed from Elda, Elf) would have the meaning of several or some Elves. Keep in mind, the exact usage of this form is not well known, so we’ll leave it alone for the most part.

The normal form of the plural should seem familiar to you. Nouns ending with a, u, i, o, or are made plural by adding to the end -r. So, from the Silmarillion, we have:

Elda, Elf, plural Eldar
Vala, god (or angel, perhaps), plural Valar
Noldo, member of the second clan of the Elves, plural Noldor
Valië, female Vala, plural Valier

The other way to form the plural is by adding -i to the word. Nouns ending in typically are made plural by replacing the with an i.

There are a few exceptions. For nouns ending in -ië, for example, the plural ends with the -r In LotR Appendix E, the plural of tyellë, “grade”, is shown as tyeller. Likewise, the plural of mallë, “road”, is maller. It is suggested that this is the case because in the case of nouns ending in -llë, using the -i ending would cause confusion with the partitive plural ending -li.

The Article

In English, articles are words like “the”, “a”, and “an”.

Quenya only has one article. This corresponds to the English “the”, and is i For example, “i eleni” would mean “the stars.”

In Quenya, there is no distinction between "a star" and just "star"; both are simply elen.

In Quenya, there are some words that are counted as proper names and do not take articles. Anar, the Sun, does not take an article. Neither does Isil, the Moon.

The article is not normally used before a plural denoting an entire people. In Quenya there would probably be no article before plurals like Valar, Eldar, Vanyar, Noldor, Lindar, Teleri, Atani etc. assuming that the entire race is considered.

At times, especially in poetry, the article drops out for no particular reason.

Vocabulary… since there’s no real way you can learn Quenya without one…

minë "one"
Anar "(the) Sun"
Isil "(the) Moon"
ar "and"
Elda "Elf"
lië "people”, an ethnic group
vendë "maiden”
rocco "horse"
aran "king"
tári "queen"
tasar "willow"
nu "under"
Glorfirith Annun
<center>User Image</center>

The language of Sindarin was the common Elvish tongue spoken throughout Beleriand and later in the Middle-earth everyone knows from Lord of the Rings.

Learning Sindarin is fairly easy. The hardest part, as with any language, is mastering the grammar. Though I have noticed that Sindarin has a lot of different pronounciations from what I’m used to but I only speak English and a bit of French, so I’m not one to say (I picked up a bit of Afrikaans in South Africa, but I know more Sindarin than Afrikaans). A lot of words end up with vocal mutations that are fairly easy to remember once you get the hand of it.

Most of the Sindarin sites that I’ve seen tend to work off each other so most of them are quite alike and teach the same basic stuff.

I’ve been taking the Elvish course at Council of Elrond and it’s been going pretty well for me. I do recommend it to others to learn from as the lessons are very easy to follow and they give exercises to help.

There’s also Sindarin information at Ardalambion I have yet to investigate this and they don’t have a course on it but from what I’ve seen it’s very informative.

If any one is interested in learning Sindarin and needs assistance or anything at all, feel free to pm me or post in this thread and I’ll do my very best to help you!

Sindarin Dictionaries:

Dragon Flame

English-Sindarin Dictionary at CoE

Sindarin-English Dictionary at CoE
Yeah, CoE is the best LotR site I know and its elvish is awesome. I'm taking a Quenya course and my username (here and there) is Sindarian for Spirit of the Eagle. If you join CoE, please, PM me (I'm "Feathoron" smile ). I'm the leader of the Realm of Manwe there.
Bluering Bearer

Edhellos, do you know any french sites ? because you speak fluent french...

No, I do not, sorry sweatdrop I rarely read stuff in french on the internet o.O Except maybe if I was looking for the synopsis of a french book that I had read.

I believe Nandelle had acess to a french tutorial, but I don't remember if she posted it here or if it was online or where to get it. neutral
Feathoron
Yeah, CoE is the best LotR site I know and its elvish is awesome. I'm taking a Quenya course and my username (here and there) is Sindarian for Spirit of the Eagle. If you join CoE, please, PM me (I'm "Feathoron" smile ). I'm the leader of the Realm of Manwe there.

Actually, in Sindarin the "fea" would become "fae." [/nitpicking]

So Feanaro should have become Faenor in Sindarin. Those silly Noldor can't do anything right... xd

Edhellos, I think I posted the site here, in English. I found a French one off of it for Bluering Bearer, though. 3nodding

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games