Welcome to Gaia! ::

MistressMolloy
Ohmygod. You guys rule. I am an avid fan of CouncilOfElrond site, and have been trying to figure out WHICH to learn and how to teach myself it. xP!

^__^

If you pick Sindarin and need help, I'll gladly help you out! Though I can't do a thing with Quenya sweatdrop

YET!

As soon as I'm confident enough with my Sindarin I'm going to learn Quenya.
i've been waiting for a thread like this for so long. thank u!!! cry
neverforget
i've been waiting for a thread like this for so long. thank u!!! cry

Sure thing. whee

When do you guys want the next lesson? Tell me and I'll write it out.
You know there is a book that lays out all of the Tolkien languages so that you can learn them. (Well except darkspeech...he hated that one) I'll have to find it...I think it's with my Frodo Lives bumpersticker...
Aardy
You know there is a book that lays out all of the Tolkien languages so that you can learn them. (Well except darkspeech...he hated that one) I'll have to find it...I think it's with my Frodo Lives bumpersticker...

I've seen The Languages of Tolkien's Middle-earth. Honestly, I was not impressed. At all. I suppose it would be a fine resource for someone who already had a basis in the languages, but it was horribly laid out for someone just starting. sweatdrop

The Black Tongue... I found an interesting article about it on Ardalambion... a theory linking that one to a "real" language as well...
I want the book A Gateway to Sindarin but it's like $60-$100 sweatdrop
Glorfirith Annun

I've never heard of it, but it sounds awesome. Maybe you could find it at the library? I doubt it though.

Yes! There's a copy in my library system! So maybe there is in yours too, Glorfirith! I hope so. I've been learning Sindarin for a while, so it will be interesting to read that...now I just have to wait until it gets to my library...
Yes! I'm so excited to have a forum where we can not only learn the language, but also practice speaking it once we do. It is nearly impossible to learn a language when you don't have someone to speak it to so that you can find out if you are getting it right. (Now if only I could get one of my close friends to learn it with me and then we could have secret conversations in public without anyone understanding us. Don't you hate it when you can't eavesdrop? Wait, I'll get my twin to do it. She'll do anything for me. Even study. *shudder at the thought*)

I am eager for the next lesson!
xenarlinn89
Glorfirith Annun

I've never heard of it, but it sounds awesome. Maybe you could find it at the library? I doubt it though.

Yes! There's a copy in my library system! So maybe there is in yours too, Glorfirith! I hope so. I've been learning Sindarin for a while, so it will be interesting to read that...now I just have to wait until it gets to my library...

It probably is at the library. I'll go check next time through. I was just going to buy it but I might as well see it first.
*casually coughs this back to the first page*
i tried to learn elvish over the summer, not all of it, but the basics, but when school started, and i started to take french, it was all forgotten. crying i shall try again though....for i wish desperatly to speak it.
UbbinNubbin
i tried to learn elvish over the summer, not all of it, but the basics, but when school started, and i started to take french, it was all forgotten. crying i shall try again though....for i wish desperatly to speak it.

That's great. Elvish is awesome. So pretty. Much better than french.
Nandelle
Aardy

I've seen The Languages of Tolkien's Middle-earth. Honestly, I was not impressed. At all. I suppose it would be a fine resource for someone who already had a basis in the languages, but it was horribly laid out for someone just starting. sweatdrop

The Black Tongue... I found an interesting article about it on Ardalambion... a theory linking that one to a "real" language as well...

My favourite article would have to be the one that told me I could take courses in college that taught Tolkien's languages. There was an Orcish class in Texas
ChewySkywalker

My favourite article would have to be the one that told me I could take courses in college that taught Tolkien's languages. There was an Orcish class in Texas

Orkish? What... all five words of it? xd

There was a Quenya class at my school this winter. I didn't stay J-term, though, so I didn't take it. And it was given by a student... and taking a class from someone at my own level... surprised

I should put up the next lesson soon. But I'm tired right now and just got out of class. Sometime before midnight, maybe I'll do it. Either that or tomorrow. 3nodding

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff