Welcome to Gaia! ::

I think we should read it for class, but she hasn't even read it before, let alone any fantasy or scifi! sad

Help?

8,250 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
I didn't think they let you teach English without at least one Tolkien book under your belt.

Try telling her about the growing academic study of Tolkien and the fantasy genre - you realize some places will award you a master's degree in Tolkien Studies? Or that Tolkien himself was a widely accomplished scholar of Anglo-Saxon and early English literature? There is even a journal out of West Virginia University Press that specifically publishes academic Tolkien criticism! His works draw on major literary themes inspired by northern European, Norse, Anglo-Saxon, and Irish epic poetry, mythology, and culture - there is so much to learn in them, not to mention his impeccable use of the English language.

Fantasy is a legit genre - and an important one! Quite possibly more important than realistic fiction as a whole! Where is my evidence? I don't know, because that is just my opinion, but I really think reading the Hobbit in class is a great idea and I want to help you convince her to do it!

Newbie Explorer

LOTR should be classified as classic literature.

Ice-Cold Hunter

6,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Wall Street 200
Lord of the Rings IS classic literature!
It has all the elements and it's a great and epic tale!
I read all three LotR books for my English class project! The Hobbit should be included with the other three books! Try useing that as an argument. owo

Beloved Gekko

5,600 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Member 100
i read it in grade 7 it was amazing i think you should read it

Hilarious Genius

8,900 Points
  • Trader 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Profitable 100
At my school it was the teacher trying to convince the kids to read The Hobbit.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff