Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hey-yo!!!
So yeah... I have no idea what Lolita is sweatdrop .. I know its all famous these days, but I don't really keep up with fads.
In a video game that I played though, the main character said that she loved the way she dressed her daughter because it was "Very Lolita", but I had no idea what that meant, so I come to Gaia with the question! What is Lolita?

im done fam's Princess

Nymph

why do people unheart this? you guys are rough

Kawaii Girl

Tatsumari
Probably because the question gets asked in here about once a month and it doesn't even look like the person tried to Google it or anything. It used to be that Googling to learn about Lolita fashion would just give you a mess of misinformation, but nowadays it's grown enough and there are enough resources that this is no longer a big problem.

I don't usually bother with the heart / unheart system, but is it really that bad to unheart something?

im done fam's Princess

Nymph

Princess JessieKate
Tatsumari
Probably because the question gets asked in here about once a month and it doesn't even look like the person tried to Google it or anything. It used to be that Googling to learn about Lolita fashion would just give you a mess of misinformation, but nowadays it's grown enough and there are enough resources that this is no longer a big problem.

I don't usually bother with the heart / unheart system, but is it really that bad to unheart something?

ah ok, well sometimes it's still nice to hear from a human about different things rather than a bunch of articles

it's not really "bad" per se, it's just... i don't know how to describe it, it could be the fact that i've seen some other kind of rude people here from lurking, so it comes off as more than it truly is
Princess JessieKate
Tatsumari

I was just asking because the googling was kind of unclear... And plus I kind of wanted everyones unique opinion of it. >,< I have googled it and tried, but it was just unclear

Kawaii Girl

ElvenMisha
Princess JessieKate
Tatsumari

I was just asking because the googling was kind of unclear... And plus I kind of wanted everyones unique opinion of it. >,< I have googled it and tried, but it was just unclear
What exactly did you Google? I checked before posting and I Googled "Lolita fashion," but come to think of it, if people just Google "Lolita," you won't really get what you're looking for.

If you're still wondering, Lolita is a hyperfeminine Japanese alternative fashion style involving full, knee-length skirts or dresses based off of Victorian children's clothing and the Rococo art movement. Since it's been around since the 90's, there are a lot of different styles and more variation now, but the silhouette is still basically the same and a major defining factor of the look.
Princess JessieKate
ElvenMisha
Princess JessieKate
Tatsumari

What exactly did you Google? I checked before posting and I Googled "Lolita fashion," but come to think of it, if people just Google "Lolita," you won't really get what you're looking for.

If you're still wondering, Lolita is a hyperfeminine Japanese alternative fashion style involving full, knee-length skirts or dresses based off of Victorian children's clothing and the Rococo art movement. Since it's been around since the 90's, there are a lot of different styles and more variation now, but the silhouette is still basically the same and a major defining factor of the look.

I googled "Lolita", so that's probably why. Anyways, thanks for that! :3 I appreciate your response

Kawaii Girl

ElvenMisha
Princess JessieKate
ElvenMisha
Princess JessieKate
Tatsumari

I googled "Lolita", so that's probably why. Anyways, thanks for that! :3 I appreciate your response
You're very welcome!!

dalia salvd's Husband

Spooky Pumpkin

19,350 Points
  • Screeching Savior 100
  • Candy Fiend 150
  • Haunting Echo 75
I thought I'd add that the Lolita style has become more of a sub-culture as of today.
Like how Goth and Punk are considered sub-cultures, so is Lolita. Though definitely a much newer one!
It did start off as simply a street style in Japan, but has definitely evolved into a way of life and large social community for many girls including myself.

Kawaii Girl

Waverlily Hime
I thought I'd add that the Lolita style has become more of a sub-culture as of today.
Like how Goth and Punk are considered sub-cultures, so is Lolita. Though definitely a much newer one!
It did start off as simply a street style in Japan, but has definitely evolved into a way of life and large social community for many girls including myself.
Do you mean only more recently in its history? Because I feel like it definitely always was. For example, back in the late 90's people who visited Japan and met Lolita there would say that they would speak really stiffly/formally/strangely and that's part of why people thought Lolita were crazy. There were even guides on how a Lolita "should" speak written in the GLB.

dalia salvd's Husband

Spooky Pumpkin

19,350 Points
  • Screeching Savior 100
  • Candy Fiend 150
  • Haunting Echo 75
Princess JessieKate
Waverlily Hime
Do you mean only more recently in its history? Because I feel like it definitely always was. For example, back in the late 90's people who visited Japan and met Lolita there would say that they would speak really stiffly/formally/strangely and that's part of why people thought Lolita were crazy. There were even guides on how a Lolita "should" speak written in the GLB.

I mostly mean more recently as compared to Goth and Punk.
But, I also think it's fair to say that, regardless of the fact that Lolitas may have thought they were a culture since the beginning, It's only more recently that outsiders are beginning to recognize this too, especially outside of Japan.

Kawaii Girl

Waverlily Hime
Princess JessieKate
Waverlily Hime

But, I also think it's fair to say that, regardless of the fact that Lolitas may have thought they were a culture since the beginning, It's only more recently that outsiders are beginning to recognize this too, especially outside of Japan.
I don't mean to be rude, but I think you're mistaken. When I got into the fashion about 8 years ago, there was considerable clashing between the strict "lifestyle Lolitas" and the others. Some girls even made communities just for the purpose of making fun of the lifestyle Lolitas.

I guess this is unless of course you mean that to also be recent since you're comparing to goth and punk fashions.

dalia salvd's Husband

Spooky Pumpkin

19,350 Points
  • Screeching Savior 100
  • Candy Fiend 150
  • Haunting Echo 75
Princess JessieKate
Waverlily Hime
Princess JessieKate
Waverlily Hime

I don't mean to be rude, but I think you're mistaken. When I got into the fashion about 8 years ago, there was considerable clashing between the strict "lifestyle Lolitas" and the others. Some girls even made communities just for the purpose of making fun of the lifestyle Lolitas.

I guess this is unless of course you mean that to also be recent since you're comparing to goth and punk fashions.

Took me a while to respond because finals and I wanted to think about the post a while, sorry
I think we misunderstood one another~
I was comparing Lolita to the lengthy histories Goth and Punk have, but, see, I also consider the late 80s-early 90s to be recent.
I definitely think since then Lolita has been a culture.
What I meant before, is that prior to the late 80s and early 90s, though I'm sure some girls took their style very seriously, but from what I've researched the style/culture was not as developed/still developing that long ago and the term Lolita may not have even been used, so I don't necessarily consider Lolita to have been an established sub-culture prior to about the late 80s.
Does that make sense?
Waverlily Hime
Princess JessieKate
Waverlily Hime
Princess JessieKate
Waverlily Hime

Took me a while to respond because finals and I wanted to think about the post a while, sorry
I think we misunderstood one another~
I was comparing Lolita to the lengthy histories Goth and Punk have, but, see, I also consider the late 80s-early 90s to be recent.
I definitely think since then Lolita has been a culture.
What I meant before, is that prior to the late 80s and early 90s, though I'm sure some girls took their style very seriously, but from what I've researched the style/culture was not as developed/still developing that long ago and the term Lolita may not have even been used, so I don't necessarily consider Lolita to have been an established sub-culture prior to about the late 80s.
Does that make sense?

Honestly, I don't consider lolita to be a subculture. Particularly not outside of Japan. We're too diverse and separated from one another to be considered anything other than a commercial anomaly.

There's no cohesion around a central body of literature, music, or a philosophy/political cause (as was the case with groups like hippies and mods, or goth and punk). Having shared beliefs and a cohesive set of values is one big key to being considered a legitimate subculture. Actual subcultures in the past have formed as a part of political dissent or as a counter to the mainstream. Ask most lolitas why they've gotten into the fashion and they'll tell you it's because of the pretty clothes. A few might give you a deeper answer than that, but even then, they're varied considerably.

With lolita, the only 100% common factor is the clothing. There is no "lolita music" or "lolita philosophy" or "lolita lifestyle" that every member adheres to or likes. While there are a few bands that wear lolita, they frequently treat it as a costume rather than their lifestyle; many of these bands receive sponsorship from brands, like Babymetal or Aural Vampire with Atelier Pierrot, or Nana Kitade with BtSSB. Their music isn't different from other bands within their genres, only their wardrobes for when they go on stage. They're still the same pop or rock or electronica.

It's sort of like trying to say that all people in black t-shirts are a single subculture. They look alike, sure, but they may not share the same beliefs, morals, political views, or tastes in literature and music.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff