Do not like it at all 0.058823529411765 5.9% [ 1 ]
Undecided 0.23529411764706 23.5% [ 4 ]
Total Votes:[ 17 ]

Sugary Bunny

19,000 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Signature Look 250
I have recently grown fond of velvet details in lolita, Ive even seen some BTSSB velvet shoes! (I have seen that they make a lot more velvet pieces than most others) The only thing about an all-velvet dress is that it needs dry cleaning only, you cannot even hand wash it or even iron it.

I have been ITCHING to buy some velvet ribbon and use it to weave in and out of some lace and use it on a dress. Found a good deal for some but theres 22 colors and I need to decide what colors I want!
Its not very popular from what I've seen, at least in America. But I have seen some gorgeous pieces! Even though they come in darker colors most commonly, I still really admire the beauty.

Kawaii Bunny

I love velvet dresses, they look so elegant and wintery! I don't have any though, which is a shame.

Magnetic Sex Symbol

Funny you mention it:
I just got back from a meet up and one of the girls wore this beautiful, black velvet dress by Angelic Pretty.
She looked stunning! : D

Sugary Bunny

19,000 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Signature Look 250
Angel_Takio
Funny you mention it:
I just got back from a meet up and one of the girls wore this beautiful, black velvet dress by Angelic Pretty.
She looked stunning! : D

The last meetup I went to, a girl was wearing a pink ruffled embroidered velvet OP by Baby, I couldn't help oogling it. gonk

Questionable Conversationalist

I'm a bit iffy with velvet, on the one hand it's soft and can look nice, on the other I only think of tight, restricting, heated material that made uncomfortable clothes I had to wear to church in my childhood.

I haven't seen anything in velvet that has appealed to my tastes specifically, so I'm probably unfairly biased against it, I suppose.

Sugary Bunny

19,000 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Signature Look 250
Milady Alluca
I'm a bit iffy with velvet, on the one hand it's soft and can look nice, on the other I only think of tight, restricting, heated material that made uncomfortable clothes I had to wear to church in my childhood.

I haven't seen anything in velvet that has appealed to my tastes specifically, so I'm probably unfairly biased against it, I suppose.

Yup its not very popular and I can understand why since it's so high maintenance. I probably won't own a full velvet dress myself but maybe make some with velvet bow and such~
Im pretty open-minded to odd materials in this fashion, theres always a way to make something work 3nodding

Questionable Conversationalist

Bunny-Lolita-Chan
Milady Alluca

Yup its not very popular and I can understand why since it's so high maintenance. I probably won't own a full velvet dress myself but maybe make some with velvet bow and such~
Im pretty open-minded to odd materials in this fashion, theres always a way to make something work 3nodding

If you make anything with velvet I'd certainly like to see pictures at least c:
I'm not usually very aware of fabrics and the like but now that I've had to think about velvet a bit I'm curious and also synchronicity is likely to toss more velvet references my way now xD
I love velvet but I live in the middle of the desert in arizona so I can only wear it for two months in winter or else my closet would be full of it! <3

Sparkly Millionaire

9,650 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Velvet's actually a pretty popular fabric in lolita. Some of the most sought-after prints out there (e.g. Angelic Pretty's Carnival and Puppet Circus series) are made out of velvet ^^ Every brand puts out at least one velvet item per year and while it's not the most common fabric due to its higher price tag, it's pretty accepted and you can usually see a few velvet items every winter.

I would stay away from stretch velvet because it lacks structure and won't provide a nice silhouette for a coordinate, but otherwise a velvet dress would be lovely!

Sugary Bunny

19,000 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Signature Look 250
wonderfinch
Velvet's actually a pretty popular fabric in lolita. Some of the most sought-after prints out there (e.g. Angelic Pretty's Carnival and Puppet Circus series) are made out of velvet ^^ Every brand puts out at least one velvet item per year and while it's not the most common fabric due to its higher price tag, it's pretty accepted and you can usually see a few velvet items every winter.

I would stay away from stretch velvet because it lacks structure and won't provide a nice silhouette for a coordinate, but otherwise a velvet dress would be lovely!

Yes that sort of velvet is really cheap-looking and has no shape to it, Im really picky about fabrics that don't have any structure. For example, I love using corduroy and oxford fabric because it has such a great shape and is so durable! I also like heavy-weight cotton. Only downfall to this is you need a hell of a petticoat, or a few of them at least to make it poofy, and I never like a frumpy skirt.

Kawaii Girl

Just got my first velvet dress recently, and what the one person said about restricting and hot... yeah. Definitely that.

I put "undecided" because there is definitely a catch... I know we're mostly talking about brand pieces here, but please do not try to make a Lolita dress out of cheap velvet. (This is not directed at anyone in particular) I mean this in the nicest way possible.
If you're worried about the velvet being too heavy/hot/restricting, find another way to use it. I like taking a solid velvet for a bodice and matching it with a print. The shift in texture and weight can be really nice and keep the overheating to a minimum:

User Image

For this particular dress, I used an acetate velvet that has a slight sheen to it. You can't see in photos, but this one is a dark chocolate that has takes a really nice "glow" in person.

Kawaii Girl

spuntino
If you're worried about the velvet being too heavy/hot/restricting, find another way to use it. I like taking a solid velvet for a bodice and matching it with a print. The shift in texture and weight can be really nice and keep the overheating to a minimum:

User Image

For this particular dress, I used an acetate velvet that has a slight sheen to it. You can't see in photos, but this one is a dark chocolate that has takes a really nice "glow" in person.
This is a nice idea. Mine is a jumperskirt and I still find it a little too hot, though. : It helps a little if I don't lace it as tight as I usually would.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff