Welcome to Gaia! ::

So I'm interested in Kodona, and I've seen mention of other Kodona styles- "wa kodona," "sweet kodona," stuff like that. Anyone mind explaining what they all mean?

Blessed Sex Symbol

13,350 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Kodona/ouji and lolita are very similar, being inspired by the Victorian Era, and sometimes, depending on who you talk to, ouji/kodona is a substyle of lolita, but most consider it a seperate fashion from lolita. But it is easier to transfer between the fashions, or build up a closet where you have pieces for both.

Since lolita and ouji/kodona are so close, they share most, if not all of the same styles.

Styles are just basically how the clothes look and how they are worn. For example "wa kodona" would have features of traditional Japanese clothing and Japanese inspired prints, and would be styled to involved some other Japanese aesthetics. "Sweet kodona" would have many prints that are incredibly cute; the colors of the clothes themselves would be mainly vivid pastels like mint, baby pink, baby blue, ecetera. I would describe more, but you get my point.
Marokia
Styles are just basically how the clothes look and how they are worn. For example "wa kodona" would have features of traditional Japanese clothing and Japanese inspired prints, and would be styled to involved some other Japanese aesthetics. "Sweet kodona" would have many prints that are incredibly cute; the colors of the clothes themselves would be mainly vivid pastels like mint, baby pink, baby blue, ecetera. I would describe more, but you get my point.
That's actually what I was trying to get, not a re- description of Kodona itself.

Sparkly Fairy

Kodona is much less popular than lolita and therefore not many people do it. So, there are a lot less places to take inspiration from. The other styles of kodona all come from the lolita names, but often those ideas are not put into practise. Because it is expensive, and is less common to wear than lolita, a lot of people just shove normal clothes into coordinates mixed with their lolita blouses (or even regular blouses) and call it a day, so examples look pretty... interesting... most of the time. Especially with the sub styles like sweet, noone would want to buy a whole new "sweet kodona" outfit. If you want to try out one of those, there is really nothing to go by. Just get a good grasp of kodona and experiment yourself!

My favourite kodona is:
http://kodonashaneinwonderland.tumblr.com

And this guy is glorious, but Id say his style is more aristocrat than kodona. He wears a lot more interesting and less stereotypical outfits though so you could definitely take inspiration from him:
http://technotropism.tumblr.com
Wa kodona isn't a thing that exists. It sounds like a s**t concept, to be completely honest.

In terms of style, I've seen sweet ouji a few times. It just uses pastel colours/prints rather than your normal darker tones. I think people also use things like flower motifs. You can do price-themed, which would be using more royal-looking accessories; crowns, caplets, jewel tones, etc. Gothic, which I guess is the most common. Punk, which is more casual, uses elements like tartan and distressed fabric. Then there's just themed outfits like pirate, butler, or schoolboy, which I don't think count as substyles so much as just outfit concepts. For ouji inspiration, check out Buttcape, Aerynsys, and Ghostintheforest.
Who mentions these things? Do they have examples? Or are they just saying oh these would be cool? As most things that come out for boystyle stuff are in neutrals like black, white, more black...and then whatever theme of the line is..you dont really a lot of diversity in that respect. Sweet kodona is doable but rarely done since it requires a lot of work to pull it together since it isnt like you can just get things that work from any collection, it has to be certain things that are in those colors, probably a lot of handmade indie stuff for that.

Some are practical, like you can do punk since there are many punk japanese brands out there, but wa? What would you use on that anyways? The guy's version of kimonos arent cute and are not colourful.

Dapper Codger

For the record, I believe Wa Kodona can be done well. This is an example of that, stemming from kariginu rather than just sticking with kimonos. Kodona doesn't all have to be punk or pirate.

Hilarious Businessman

mboarder
Kodona is much less popular than lolita and therefore not many people do it. So, there are a lot less places to take inspiration from. The other styles of kodona all come from the lolita names, but often those ideas are not put into practise. Because it is expensive, and is less common to wear than lolita, a lot of people just shove normal clothes into coordinates mixed with their lolita blouses (or even regular blouses) and call it a day, so examples look pretty... interesting... most of the time. Especially with the sub styles like sweet, noone would want to buy a whole new "sweet kodona" outfit. If you want to try out one of those, there is really nothing to go by. Just get a good grasp of kodona and experiment yourself!

My favourite kodona is:
http://kodonashaneinwonderland.tumblr.com

And this guy is glorious, but Id say his style is more aristocrat than kodona. He wears a lot more interesting and less stereotypical outfits though so you could definitely take inspiration from him:
http://technotropism.tumblr.com

Just wanted to drop my two cents in and say thank you for that. I really like Technotropism's blog. That is most definitely the style of Ouji that I am looking to achieve.
Citric Circuits
For the record, I believe Wa Kodona can be done well. This is an example of that, stemming from kariginu rather than just sticking with kimonos. Kodona doesn't all have to be punk or pirate.

Are you really using dolldelight as an example of something that is good???

Hell nah. That is not boystyle in any way, just like how she is not lolita.

Dapper Codger

legnanellaf5
Citric Circuits

Are you really using dolldelight as an example of something that is good???

Hell nah. That is not boystyle in any way, just like how she is not lolita.

Whoever's wearing it aside, (I'm well aware, don't get me wrong) I'm still fond of the general idea presented, that idea being an accurate boyish alternative to Wa lolita. I'd like to see more of this kind of thinking instead of rigidly sticking to a more Dandy style and calling it a day.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff