Welcome to Gaia! ::

Devoted Sex Symbol

But what if someone is a honest to goodness Furry or something like that?
What do they do then? Are they allowed to be their cat self and be a Lolita? Can it work for them? I really need to know this.

Kliapatra's Partner In Crime

Beloved Bunny

16,075 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Cat Fancier 100
"Cat lolita" is not a substyle.
Most furry accessories are large and bulky, gaudy colors, or hyper realistic. None of which works for the lolita aesthetic. Some folks will add bunny/bear/cat ears to bunny/bear/cat-themed outfits but they are on the smaller side or are made of elegant materials. BtSSB has some of the wired lace/mesh bunny ears, and I actually own a pair of cute plush bear ears for the coordinate in my signature. Sometimes you will see wire ears with pearls or gems which can be cute. Other trends include ram horns or deer antlers which are typically more for conventions or big events.
Even when it's a cute, understated, quality headdress that matches the theme and colors, tails are not worn. In addition, animal ears are really only appropriate in more casual settings--wearing them to high tea, elegant photo shoots, or fashion shows may not be the best idea.

If you have existing cat stuff and just want to slap it on with a lolita coordinate, fine, it's your outfit, but it's not likely to match well and most people won't consider it to be a good addition to the look. If you'll go out of your way to select something that works with it (I suggest consulting more experienced lolitas for guidance), then imo it could work.
Most people can seperate their interests so they dont have to combine. So if you are a furry, there is no reason you HAVE to bring that into lolita. I have seen people wear lolita on top of their fursuits, but those people are doing their own thing at a con (also requires damaging the dress), not really a part of the community.

As this is a fashion, there are 'rules' and expectations that people have. Is there no way to add cat themed stuff into lolita? Of course there is. There are cat themed dresses out there. Designer of Jetj is obsessed with cats. However because it is a fashion one has to stylize things like this in a manner that fits the look, instead of looking like a costume.

Ill use myself as an example. This is me last year. Dress has lots of cats on it, so adding the headband made sense. It however isnt just some furry cat ear clip on, but a more simplified version which has pearls. So it was a more fashion oriented accessory (also was super popular last fall).

Sparkly Fairy

Its not really frowned upon, it just rarely looks good. Shoving cat ears on top of a generic coord makes it look very costumey, and generally animal ears are reserved for holidays or themed occasions.

Devoted Sex Symbol

legnanellaf5
Most people can seperate their interests so they dont have to combine. So if you are a furry, there is no reason you HAVE to bring that into lolita. I have seen people wear lolita on top of their fursuits, but those people are doing their own thing at a con (also requires damaging the dress), not really a part of the community.

As this is a fashion, there are 'rules' and expectations that people have. Is there no way to add cat themed stuff into lolita? Of course there is. There are cat themed dresses out there. Designer of Jetj is obsessed with cats. However because it is a fashion one has to stylize things like this in a manner that fits the look, instead of looking like a costume.

Ill use myself as an example. This is me last year. Dress has lots of cats on it, so adding the headband made sense. It however isnt just some furry cat ear clip on, but a more simplified version which has pearls. So it was a more fashion oriented accessory (also was super popular last fall).

That's actually really cute. I figured I'd wind up separating my interests, but having a cat themed outfit and simple cat ears is really cute!
That Cat Who Eats Ramen
legnanellaf5

That's actually really cute. I figured I'd wind up separating my interests, but having a cat themed outfit and simple cat ears is really cute!

Thanks! If you want to tie in little cat things into your outfits you can, like there is a bag that is a cat's face I have seen peopel using, I own a ring that has cat ears, small things that are still fashion items. It wont be the same as a furry, but it is something.

Devoted Sex Symbol

legnanellaf5
That Cat Who Eats Ramen
legnanellaf5

Thanks! If you want to tie in little cat things into your outfits you can, like there is a bag that is a cat's face I have seen peopel using, I own a ring that has cat ears, small things that are still fashion items. It wont be the same as a furry, but it is something.

I'm actually reluctant to call myself actual furry seeing as I don't dress in fur suit or anything. I'm more like a Nekomimi? I act like a cat but I still retain my human features? I don't know. I have a furry friend who calls me a fellow furry but I'm not so sure he's right about that.

Feline Lover

a taobao indie brand called Precious Clove has a print coming out soon (it hasn't been released yet) called "Singing in the Rain" and it features cats.

I don't know if it really interests you - or if Sweet is your style or not but I think it's a really nice way they incorporated cats into the pieces.

Depending on how much it'll cost me, I really want to get it. I think it's rather cute.
There are plenty of cute dresses with cats on them! I'm a cat lover myself and I try to obtain all the cat prints I can.

Angelic Pretty's Whimsical Vanilla-chan has little white kittens all over it. There's also a really hard to obtain and expensive print with cats having a fancy tea party.
Metamporphose has several prints involving cats. There's a recent one with kittens taking baths that's really adorable. :3
Innocent world has a cute cat print or two I believe. I know of one for certian.

There's a lot of indie and taobao brands that have cat prints. biggrin
That Cat Who Eats Ramen
legnanellaf5
That Cat Who Eats Ramen
legnanellaf5

I'm actually reluctant to call myself actual furry seeing as I don't dress in fur suit or anything. I'm more like a Nekomimi? I act like a cat but I still retain my human features? I don't know. I have a furry friend who calls me a fellow furry but I'm not so sure he's right about that.

Maybe otherkin then? Im not that researched in it so I cant say much but it may fit you better.

Sparkling Dragon

18,890 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
As mboarder said, it's one of those things that is more "this is done poorly very often".

Cat ears and similar accessories (particularly badly made ones) are popular at anime conventions. So are outdated, badly made, low quality lolita clothes. So there is this stereotype of a person who knows nothing about lolita and "cosplays" as a lolita at an anime convention. When people say they frown upon cat-lolita, or something like that, they are referring to badly put together lolita costumes commonly seen at cons 9 times out of 10.

If you really want to bring cat motifs into a coordinate, it's easier to build a strong coordinate around items with a cat print. But, if you really want cat ears, I'd say commission higher quality matching ones made from nicer material from someone, and then pair that with cat themed items to make more of a themed outfit? Some people still are going to consider the cat ears and such a costume though; but I suspect that's something that typically would be encountered if one wore them with typical street clothes as well?

Devoted Sex Symbol

Raine Dragon
As mboarder said, it's one of those things that is more "this is done poorly very often".

Cat ears and similar accessories (particularly badly made ones) are popular at anime conventions. So are outdated, badly made, low quality lolita clothes. So there is this stereotype of a person who knows nothing about lolita and "cosplays" as a lolita at an anime convention. When people say they frown upon cat-lolita, or something like that, they are referring to badly put together lolita costumes commonly seen at cons 9 times out of 10.

If you really want to bring cat motifs into a coordinate, it's easier to build a strong coordinate around items with a cat print. But, if you really want cat ears, I'd say commission higher quality matching ones made from nicer material from someone, and then pair that with cat themed items to make more of a themed outfit? Some people still are going to consider the cat ears and such a costume though; but I suspect that's something that typically would be encountered if one wore them with typical street clothes as well?

I wear cat ears with street clothes and I guess it does tend to come off as costumy. For me it's a part of the outfit and is just another accesory, and it reflects my personality. I guess it doesn't matter how I feel about the ears when the people seeing me have the ultimate opinion.

The cat motif is a good idea but I don't know how I'll do that because what I intend to get into is Gothic Lolita...so I'm thinking more solid blacks. I don't know though.
That Cat Who Eats Ramen
Raine Dragon

I wear cat ears with street clothes and I guess it does tend to come off as costumy. For me it's a part of the outfit and is just another accesory, and it reflects my personality. I guess it doesn't matter how I feel about the ears when the people seeing me have the ultimate opinion.

The cat motif is a good idea but I don't know how I'll do that because what I intend to get into is Gothic Lolita...so I'm thinking more solid blacks. I don't know though.

You can still bring accessories into an outfit with cat motifs even while wearing solid blacks. I only wear black, but own things like cat rings, earrings, socks, and shoes to make a coord cat-related. There aren't that many great gothic cat prints (although Putumayo's Cat Window is a great example of one). I think cat ears can also be brought in via different ways other than a headband/clips that are more classy. For example, this furry cat beret by Angelic Pretty, a caplet, or maybe a cat-ear hairstyle? I've also started a lolita and cats blog, which has a few good examples of how people work cat motifs into their outfits (as well as pictures of lolitas and cats together). You can also search cats up in Lolibrary to find some more cat-related lolita items.

In terms of gothic cat prints, there aren't a lot, but here are some examples of some: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Lolitas love cats a lot, so it should be easy for you to convey that in an elegant, classy way. Even the designer of Juliette et Justine, Mari Nakamura, has said in interviews that the way she gets inspiration for designs is by burying her face in her cat's belly. And she did design this dress, which my personal favourite cat-related lolita dress.

Kawaii Fatcat

Hello Honey Lemon
a taobao indie brand called Precious Clove has a print coming out soon (it hasn't been released yet) called "Singing in the Rain" and it features cats.

I don't know if it really interests you - or if Sweet is your style or not but I think it's a really nice way they incorporated cats into the pieces.

Depending on how much it'll cost me, I really want to get it. I think it's rather cute.

I was just about to mention this print! I think I might honestly buy the whole collection. It's too cute.

Doctor Pines's Queen

Thylacine Friend

14,100 Points
  • De-Extinctionist 500
  • Candy Fiend 150
  • Cool Cat 500
tehrin
There are plenty of cute dresses with cats on them! I'm a cat lover myself and I try to obtain all the cat prints I can.

Angelic Pretty's Whimsical Vanilla-chan has little white kittens all over it. There's also a really hard to obtain and expensive print with cats having a fancy tea party.

Angelic Pretty Cat's Tea Party. I have it. smile My fav dress.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff