Welcome to Gaia! ::

I don't technically dress Lolita, but I wear a lot of somewhat Gothic Lolita-inspired outfits (usually just knee-length skirts, Victorian-style blouses, corsets, lace, etc.), and I've gotten a lot of strange reactions to that over the years. Most of the people where I live typically wear t-shirts and sweatpants every day; I can't imagine how they would probably react to authentic Lolita. sweatdrop

I've had several people say I remind them of a porcelain doll. One was one of my friends, and she meant it as a complement. Another was a rather obnoxious girl in one of my classes who was basically whispering about how weird she thought I was with her friends.

I normally dress up a bit more than usual on Sundays, because I figure that people will probably just assume that I wear dresses and things for church and not react so oddly. One time, though, I was wearing an ankle-length skirt and a lacy Victorian-style top and I had to stop at Meijer's to pick something up, and as I walked out of the store literally EVERYONE in the checkout lines was staring at my outfit. It was super awkward, but several people did stop to compliment me on it.

Other than that, though, usually the only comments I get are related to my corsets.

Fashionable Hunter

Midsummer Rose
I don't technically dress Lolita, but I wear a lot of somewhat Gothic Lolita-inspired outfits (usually just knee-length skirts, Victorian-style blouses, corsets, lace, etc.), and I've gotten a lot of strange reactions to that over the years. Most of the people where I live typically wear t-shirts and sweatpants every day; I can't imagine how they would probably react to authentic Lolita. sweatdrop

I've had several people say I remind them of a porcelain doll. One was one of my friends, and she meant it as a complement. Another was a rather obnoxious girl in one of my classes who was basically whispering about how weird she thought I was with her friends.

I normally dress up a bit more than usual on Sundays, because I figure that people will probably just assume that I wear dresses and things for church and not react so oddly. One time, though, I was wearing an ankle-length skirt and a lacy Victorian-style top and I had to stop at Meijer's to pick something up, and as I walked out of the store literally EVERYONE in the checkout lines was staring at my outfit. It was super awkward, but several people did stop to compliment me on it.

Other than that, though, usually the only comments I get are related to my corsets.

Maybe it's because I like Lolita, but I can't imagine how telling someone they look like a porcelain doll could be anyone's idea of an insult O.<
kakteed
Midsummer Rose

Maybe it's because I like Lolita, but I can't imagine how telling someone they look like a porcelain doll could be anyone's idea of an insult O.<

I didn't think it was much of an insult, either... I was actually sort of happy to overhear it. sweatdrop

That comment was coming from a high school girl who typically gets sent to the office about once a week for wearing shorts that don't come close to covering everything that should be covered, though... so I can kind of see how looking like a porcelain doll would be a bad thing from her perspective.

Fashionable Hunter

Midsummer Rose
kakteed
Midsummer Rose

I didn't think it was much of an insult, either... I was actually sort of happy to overhear it. sweatdrop

That comment was coming from a high school girl who typically gets sent to the office about once a week for wearing shorts that don't come close to covering everything that should be covered, though... so I can kind of see how looking like a porcelain doll would be a bad thing from her perspective.

xd Yeah, "doll-like" is probably not how she rolls...

Profitable Businessman

Midsummer Rose

I share your passion for corsets. I like freaking people out by how small I can squish my waist, haha. Haven't been able to work it into a decent coord so far though. I'd love to see pictures of your style, the way you describe it, it sounds almost aristo and it's made me curious.

Butterfly Prince

Oh god.

I was on a public bus in a mixture of Kodona and modern cyber (Think Deus Ex, not black latex) when a massive black guy sat opposite me. I remember his words exactly.

"So, are you like one of those Columbine kids or somethin'?"

"What if I am?"

He got off at the next stop and started waiting for a new bus. I couldn't stop grinning to myself for hours.
Almond Milks

I share your passion for corsets. I like freaking people out by how small I can squish my waist, haha. Haven't been able to work it into a decent coord so far though. I'd love to see pictures of your style, the way you describe it, it sounds almost aristo and it's made me curious.

Haha, yeah, mine are technically just fashion corsets, but people are still always like, "How can you stand to wear that?" sweatdrop

I usually end up just wearing mine with jeans and some kind of lacy top underneath. They work pretty well with longer skirts, too, though.

I don't really have many pictures, but I actually do have one of the outfit I mentioned before. It's not the greatest picture, but here it is:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
And here are a few other random old ones I found on my computer:

Profitable Businessman

Midsummer Rose
Almond Milks

Haha, yeah, mine are technically just fashion corsets, but people are still always like, "How can you stand to wear that?" sweatdrop

I usually end up just wearing mine with jeans and some kind of lacy top underneath. They work pretty well with longer skirts, too, though.

I don't really have many pictures, but I actually do have one of the outfit I mentioned before. It's not the greatest picture, but here it is:
And here are a few other random old ones I found on my computer:

I really like the first outfit. Cute. whee
Almond Milks

I really like the first outfit. Cute. whee

Thanks! heart

Inquisitor

19,975 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
♥ i was in the park sat on a bench, and my skirts were fanned out around me, because obviously, they're pretty large haha.
i was just listening to my ipod and then i get a tap on the shoulder, and there's a young woman stood there with a child, and she says, "i'm very sorry to bother you, but at first i thought you were a mannequin, and i wanted to ask, would you mind standing up for me?" i thought it was a bit weird, but i stood up and sorted out my skirt, and this woman was all smiley and clapping her hands together, "that's such a pretty dress, what makes it stick out?" so i sort of lifted my skirt (yes, immodest, i know! lmao) and showed her my petticoat. she was like "oh!" and i told her a bit about lolita. she was really nice and everything and she confessed that she was going to a ball and saw me sat there (i'm a gothic lolita, though i sometimes experiment with aristocrat too) and thought my dress would be amazing for this ball. so i told her where i got it, and she thanked me and went off smiling. i was like "wow, did that just happen?". //spreading the frilly love haha!

edit:
oh and once i was wearing aristocrat in my town centre, and me and my (totally normal non-loli/aristo) friends went into hollister. one little slag came up to me and said "i take it you've never shopped here before then?" and looked my dress up and down. i replied "i take it you've never wanted to wear real clothes before, hm?" then looked her little butt hugging hotpants and bandeau top up and down. i swear i'm never going in there again.

other than that i wore lolita to school once, and when walking down the corridors, everyone was staring at me. this guy also came up and said i looked even more doll-like than usual. buuut i also got a ton of "oi goth chick!" "it aint halloween yet freak!" "what the hell is she wearing?" and "oooh lookit her. all up herself and posh innit." i just ignored them, and tripped the one guy up with my parasol haha!

Beloved Lover

10,350 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
I usually get little kids asking if i'm a princess {most of my dresses are pink, my favorite one is the AP dessert collection dress so it's very princess like] or i get from grandparents and parents asking if i'm in a play. when i tell them its a fashion they get surprised, and actually like it though.

i think.. my most memorable one though, i was out at applebees with my friends in a basic pink and white skirt, white top, and a white wig [whole coord was pink and white] this little 4 year old girl kept staring at me then finally came over and asked if i was lady gaga @.@
It's so lovely to read everyone's stories!

I mostly wear aristocrat or casual lolita coords, but I still get the weird looks and the 'it's not halloween yet!' comments. No one has really bothered me though.

My fondest lolita-esque memory is of this august when I went picnicking with my boyfriend and another friend (both completely normally dressed). Apparently this little girl who was walking through the park with her parents kept staring and asked her parents whether I was a princess. I didn't see or hear any of it, but I suddenly heard my boyfriend shout out: "yes, she's a real princess!". And all of that just totally made my day heart (Sadly I spilled wine over my dress 15 minutes later xd )
I've never been really able to wear my lolita stuff anywhere mostly, due to I have a professional career as a photographer and graphic designer. On occasion I'll wear my netting shirts. But, when I go to anime conventions...SHAZAM! Bring out the lolita and cosplay clothing. whee

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff