Fashionable Hunter

11,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
Almond Milks
wonderfinch
Manah Manson
Well..I'm not Certain if I'd use the word 'Best' here, but this outfit is most Certainly one of my favorites in regards to the style in question and would like to know what you opinions are on it... [[Surry the Picture is a little big...^^']]

Now, before anyone jumps on me and sais my style doesn't belong here, I'd appreciate it if you'd kindly explain why that may be given the circumstance that I am currently perplexed as to where exactly I, as well as my Style does belong and what word you would use for this style if it's not dubbed "Lolita"....

Your style doesn't appear quite lolita to me... Lolita typically includes frills and lace, a bell-shaped skirt, and rococo- or Victorian-inspired elemends. Obviously all of those things aren't necessary in every lolita or lolita-like outfit (OTT sweet, for instance, lacks Victorian-inspired elements but has plenty of frills and long, bell-shaped skirts. Similarly, boystyle lacks the bell-shaped skirts but retains the frills and Victorian-inspired elements.). Your outfit, simply put, doesn't really include many elements of lolita style- which isn't to say that it's bad, just that this may not be the place to post it.

To my eye, your outfit looks more punk. Especially in Japanese culture, lolita, goth, and punk are all lumped together, and there are goth and punk variants of lolita, but your outfit doesn't really incorporate the correct skirt length or style for punk lolita. Here are a couple of examples of what punk lolita would normally look like (1, 2), whereas your style seems like it's a bit more straightforward punk, sans lolita elements.

No offense meant! Just trying to explain where, for me (and I think for many involved in lolita) where your outfit falls on the style spectrum and why it doesn't quite look lolita to my eye ^^

I think it's important to make the distinction between western punk and J-punk, because most things that are part of J-punk would be frowned upon in western punk if you were to just put it all under the punk label. I know that isn't the point of your post, I just want to point that out, having a bit of background in western punk.

Alright, I'd like to thank you both for your inputs..I was Highly aware that my outift didn't exactly fit the stereotypical category of the Lolita style of dress before you pointed out the differences, but was merely looking for some form of definition from others more familiar with already wearing the style. With that being said, I do plan on building a more fashionably correct Lolita collection portion to my wardrobe in the near future and will post some shots of them when I engineer outfits that suit this Forum correctly...Until then, I do have another question I've been curious about hearing other people's Takes on and it's simply this:

How would you Define Visual Kei and it's Differences in what it stands for in comparison to the Lolita style? I ask because I am a fan of both styles and though I'm aware of the obvious visual differences between the two, I want to make it clear I'm not merely asking for someone to point out the differences looks-wise, I'm capable of picking out those differences myself...

Thank you in advance to those kind enough to shed light on this subject for me...

Friendly Fairy

11,500 Points
  • Super Converter 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Millionaire 200
This one is from about a year ago. smile

User Image

Timid Lunatic

Sankew
[ Shirsox ]
I don't know if I'd say best, but this is the most recent. I went to my first meet at a garden. 3nodding

User Image

heart I'm sorry but I've fallen in love with just everything

Awwwwww. heart Thank you 3nodding

Kawaii Shapeshifter

19,100 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Party Animal 100
I don't dress up in real life yet. But my avatar is semi-lolita, in that it's Freya from Chobits.

Profitable Businessman

Obsidian Dreamlight
I don't dress up in real life yet. But my avatar is semi-lolita, in that it's Freya from Chobits.

I wouldn't call that lolita. neutral

Kawaii Shapeshifter

19,100 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Party Animal 100
Almond Milks
Obsidian Dreamlight

I didn't say it was, fully. Chobits definitely takes influence from Lolita fashion, though.

Sparkly Millionaire

9,650 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Manah Manson
Alright, I'd like to thank you both for your inputs..I was Highly aware that my outift didn't exactly fit the stereotypical category of the Lolita style of dress before you pointed out the differences, but was merely looking for some form of definition from others more familiar with already wearing the style. With that being said, I do plan on building a more fashionably correct Lolita collection portion to my wardrobe in the near future and will post some shots of them when I engineer outfits that suit this Forum correctly...Until then, I do have another question I've been curious about hearing other people's Takes on and it's simply this:

How would you Define Visual Kei and it's Differences in what it stands for in comparison to the Lolita style? I ask because I am a fan of both styles and though I'm aware of the obvious visual differences between the two, I want to make it clear I'm not merely asking for someone to point out the differences looks-wise, I'm capable of picking out those differences myself...

Thank you in advance to those kind enough to shed light on this subject for me...

Hm, you mean in terms of ideology? I don't always think the two are separate when you look at it that way- the GLB, for instance, was founded in response to the overwhelming popularity of Mana's looks, and Mana is often credited with popularizing the gothic lolita look in the late 1990's/early 2000's. VK culture (in Japan, anyways!) typically revolves around dressing up as or like members of bands, going to their live shows, buying their albums, and so on. It's totally possible to participate in VK culture as a lolita, since many bands (e.g. Psycho le Cemu and Versailles) have done collaborations with big-name lolita brands and their members wear lolita-brand-name-clothing, and other bands have actually formed very legitimate lolita brands (e.g. Mana and Moi-Meme-Moitie). And either way, I think you can still make a VK-appropriate look and participate in other aspects of the culture (going to shows, following members around, buying albums, etc.) while wearing lolita or lolita-like fashions.

Lolita, in contrast, pretty much revolves around clothes. There are some lolitas who choose to act a certain way, but for the most part Japanese lolita culture seems to be composed of people who wear lolita and happen to do or be interested in other things- there aren't lolita-specific activities in most segments of the lolita population. This means some lolitas are into VK culture, others may be into art, others may be "lifestyle" lolitas, and so on and so forth.

At the end of the day, though, I guess they both revolve around buying stuff... VK culture around albums and concert tickets, lolita around clothes~ In that respect they're pretty similar.

Bashful Friend

2,950 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
  • Window Shopper 100

Fashionable Hunter

11,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
Obsidian Dreamlight
Almond Milks
Obsidian Dreamlight

I didn't say it was, fully. Chobits definitely takes influence from Lolita fashion, though.

Whether it's Lolita or not, You did a lovely job on it and it's quite pretty; Well done...^^

Bangtan Boys's Waifu

Naughty Shoujo

Gryffindor Cat Girl

User Image

Very lovely <3
I want to get a purple dress soon heart

Dapper Darling

Gryffindor Cat Girl

User Image

Your pose looks like you're shy. X3 Awe.

LucidBatt's Partner

Lavish Pumpkin

18,125 Points
  • Task Accomplished 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Magical Girl 50
I am the one in the purple.. My only Lolita outfit so far redface
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Desirable Bunny

9,050 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100
this is mine

Friendly Fairy

11,500 Points
  • Super Converter 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Millionaire 200
Sankew
Gryffindor Cat Girl

Very lovely <3
I want to get a purple dress soon heart
Thank you. :3

Friendly Fairy

11,500 Points
  • Super Converter 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Millionaire 200
Marrionetta
Gryffindor Cat Girl

Your pose looks like you're shy. X3 Awe.
Hahaha not really. I was shy as a kid though. razz

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces