Welcome to Gaia! ::

Questionable Conversationalist

*Edit 10-12-2012
Thank you everyone for your feedback and advice and suggestions, I really do truly appreciate it! I've made my decisions personally and don't need any more convincing and plan to add a VGD petti to my wardrobe when I'm next able but the Malco Modes and Classical Puppets should hopefully tide me over until then :> If you happen to have more advice concerning petticoats do feel free to post it, I love learning more about petticoats and hearing from those who own them!

I'm just starting to actually get into owning and wearing lolita and lolita inspired clothing after just sort of lurking for a few years and have a question concerning petticoats and was wondering if I could get some opinions from some of you more experienced or knowledgeable dears? c:> (My apologies for tl;dr text blocks, I'm horrid at summarizing myself and being succinct :c)

I have done quite a bit of research on my own for several weeks and I know for the money I'm looking to spend it probably would make getting a brand name petticoat like Classical Puppets or something worth it, but I'm not aware of how to use a shopping service and need easy purchase and shipping options because I may have to ask for my petticoat as a gift (my aunt likes to buy me gifts on holidays and doesn't really want to just give me the money for it since that's impersonal).

The dress I mean to wear is not so much lolita as just lolita inspired, the skirt is meant to be somewhat full and a bit above the knees, and I want a general cupcake shape but it's okay if it's not super fluffy. I just want a noticeable change in shape and some puff.

I am currently trying to decide between some options. The first being the white petticoat from VictorianGirlDress because I think the length will work just fine and I liked the general poof pictures reviews included on EGL. I generally have a 60-62cm waist so the 15-16 years size would probably fit me just fine even if it runs a little small.

My big question now though is if maybe I should get two petticoats, in case one isn't good enough? I've heard of someone layering two of the VictorianGirlDress petticoats and for their price it may just be better in the long run to have two for other more proper lolita coords.

Has anyone layered two of those VictorianGirlDress petticoats before? Is it possible/still comfortable/stay in place?

Thanks so much for reading this far, even if you can't or don't have time to help. I still appreciate it very much!

Sparkling Dragon

18,890 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
I hear people like Victorian Girl Dress, but I've never owned one of theirs.

However the F+F one looks short to me... I have a malco modes and a classical puppets and I want to say the classical puppets one is longer than the F+F one there. If it's too puffy and too short then you get this weird right-angle at the bottom where it stops and the skirt keeps going. If it's a light petti, you can layer more than one shorter one with one scooted down on your hips to fix that in a pinch, but I don't think that would work here....

As for layering... usually you layer light petticoats for more poof, or you layer a lighter one over/under one that has a slightly off shape for the skirt to get a different look. Looking at the Victorian Girl Dress one it looks too full to layer; but I'm not certain having never owned one.

Aekea Nerd

13,950 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Partygoer 500
I'm no use to you at all, but I just want to say you're too cute. whee You don't need to be so apologetic. Answering questions is something the Lolitas here do all the time! Everyone is new at one time or another. I've never actually worn Lolita, which is why I'm no help, but I wonder if you've looked at Qutieland? They seem to be pretty easy to use as far as Taobao shopping services go, though they are a little more expensive than some of the others. I plan to buy an OP and a petticoat from there once I've saved up a little money in a couple months.

Raine Dragon

Much thanks for the advice. I didn't mind that the F+F petticoat was so short because it's shortness could have worked out for what I want it for. But I think I'm just not going to bother with it anymore. If you don't mind maybe I could ask for clarification or your opinion on a few quick things regarding Classical Puppets and Malco Modes? c:>

This is somewhat close to the general shape I'd be interested in.

The Fluffy Petticoat on Vivcore is apparently the same as a Malco Modes 582 P and I was wondering if you had something similar, and if it's possible to roll the waist hem a bit to bring it up a bit higher? I've heard you can put elastic in the other tiers on Malco Modes I think, is that right? Do you think it would work for a shape like that dress example (even though it's a CP example technically)? I think it's meant to be more used for an A Line but I'm still not too sure on how to tell those shapes apart with dresses.

As far as Classical Puppets went on Qutieland it's straightforward and I know what I would have to pay. But on Clobba I believe they have the same one but listed as just Bell Shaped Petticoat instead of Qutieland's name of Supper Fluffy Bell Shape. They use the same pictures so it would be the same petticoat right? I just want to know so the +shipping quote I'm waiting on from Clobba is properly comparable for prices. Do you like the Classical Puppets petticoat? Is it softish? What could be layered with it if I did want more of a poof? Do you think I would have to get another petticoat to layer to get the same poof as that dress example image?

I'm so terribly sorry for all the questions, I hope you don't mind too much ;n;

Eruravenne

I really appreciate you posting anyway, though c:> I guess I just get anxious and don't want to feel like I'm annoying others with all my questions, it's part of why I waited so long to get into the fashion at all.

I have looked at Qutieland, and I am considering the Classical Puppet's petticoat, especially after Raine Dragon also recommended it, but I don't know if I'm quite ready to spend $80 on one petticoat. I did send a price quote for the same Classical Puppet's petticoat on Clobba so maybe if that's cheaper I will end up going with that option.

I want to save up for a proper lolita outfit as well but it's hard when I'm saving up for cosplay supplies and other nerdy stuff at the same time, not enough money in the world :B I think I tend to lean towards classic styles but I'm not always fond of prints or colors used. I just want to cry when I find something I do like and see the price tag is an arm and a leg, like the Rose Melody Swan Princess Blouses haha </3

What kind of style do you like or plan to get first? If you don't mind my asking c:>

Aekea Nerd

13,950 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Partygoer 500
Milady Alluca
Eruravenne

I really appreciate you posting anyway, though c:> I guess I just get anxious and don't want to feel like I'm annoying others with all my questions, it's part of why I waited so long to get into the fashion at all.

I have looked at Qutieland, and I am considering the Classical Puppet's petticoat, especially after Raine Dragon also recommended it, but I don't know if I'm quite ready to spend $80 on one petticoat. I did send a price quote for the same Classical Puppet's petticoat on Clobba so maybe if that's cheaper I will end up going with that option.

I want to save up for a proper lolita outfit as well but it's hard when I'm saving up for cosplay supplies and other nerdy stuff at the same time, not enough money in the world :B I think I tend to lean towards classic styles but I'm not always fond of prints or colors used. I just want to cry when I find something I do like and see the price tag is an arm and a leg, like the Rose Melody Swan Princess Blouses haha </3

What kind of style do you like or plan to get first? If you don't mind my asking c:>

Honestly, as long as you ask nicely and sound like you will actually take the advice offered into consideration, people here will love you, heheh.

Yeah, I figured you probably had, but I thought I'd suggest it anyway, just in case. That is definitely a downside with them, they are expensive compared to other shopping services. They just seem so easy to use, I figured for the first time I order, it'll be worth it. Then, once I have a little experience, I can try somewhere else.

Classic is my favorite style as well. I love florals to death, lol. And I cry over Rose Melody blouses, too. xd I actually want this swan JSK by them, as well. Hime Lolita is another favorite style of mine (my inner five year old's favorite, lol). I don't really know that much about it because I've only recently started looking into it, but that JSK makes me think of a princess, so I'm gonna just say that it's Hime. sweatdrop And I also spend a lot of time sighing over Elpress L, White Moon (such cute Country styles!), R-Series and Infanta...

I'm not sure what I'm going to buy first, since I'm guessing there will be some new things in stock by the time I'm ready to order, but the first style I want to get is something Classic and not too expensive so I can wear it frequently without worrying too much about ruining it. I want an OP first because I can use offbrand accessories with it until I can afford more Lolita stuff. Then I want to make myself a skirt and buy a blouse or two and maybe some shoes or a bag (maybe even brand! eek ). Then I'll just kind of go from there. I think most of my accessories will be off brand or I'll make them. Luckily for me, I'm pretty crafty, heh.

One of my biggest fears with Taobao, though, is that I'll but a replica without realizing it, because I don't know all the brand designs. But I think it's mostly Sweet prints that are replicated, so it'll probably be ok... ninja

Tiny Kitten

11,150 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
I received my VictorianGirlDress petticoat about two weeks ago. I would say that it is fine for standard poofage, but I layer it over another petticoat for maximum cupcake form. whee I think two would be great to achieve the look, but I already had another one laying around so I just bought one from them. Oh, and if you aren't on the tall side like me, the petticoat might be a little long. It's easy enough to roll the top elastic, but still worth mentioning. It sits comfortably when rolled too, so that should not be a concern. Good luck to ya! ^_^

Profitable Businessman

Milady Alluca
Eruravenne

$80 on one petticoat? Qutieland shipping is really expensive, but is it really that much? I can't remember how much I paid for mine, it's been a while, but I did order through Qutieland. The Classical Puppets ones are amazing. If you want a decent amount of poof, one is enough. Lots of OTT poof, I use two. They haven't flattened yet, either. Oh and so soft.

Distinct Dabbler

5,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Conversationalist 100
As someone who has bought from "Victorian Girl Dress", definitely buy from them.
Even just one of these petticoats give really good poof...And if you were to buy two, you'd have maximum poofage.

Not only that, but these petticoats feel really nice, and they're comfortable too!

Sparkling Dragon

18,890 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
Milady Alluca
Raine Dragon

Much thanks for the advice. I didn't mind that the F+F petticoat was so short because it's shortness could have worked out for what I want it for. But I think I'm just not going to bother with it anymore. If you don't mind maybe I could ask for clarification or your opinion on a few quick things regarding Classical Puppets and Malco Modes? c:>

This is somewhat close to the general shape I'd be interested in.

The Fluffy Petticoat on Vivcore is apparently the same as a Malco Modes 582 P and I was wondering if you had something similar, and if it's possible to roll the waist hem a bit to bring it up a bit higher? I've heard you can put elastic in the other tiers on Malco Modes I think, is that right? Do you think it would work for a shape like that dress example (even though it's a CP example technically)? I think it's meant to be more used for an A Line but I'm still not too sure on how to tell those shapes apart with dresses.

As far as Classical Puppets went on Qutieland it's straightforward and I know what I would have to pay. But on Clobba I believe they have the same one but listed as just Bell Shaped Petticoat instead of Qutieland's name of Supper Fluffy Bell Shape. They use the same pictures so it would be the same petticoat right? I just want to know so the +shipping quote I'm waiting on from Clobba is properly comparable for prices. Do you like the Classical Puppets petticoat? Is it softish? What could be layered with it if I did want more of a poof? Do you think I would have to get another petticoat to layer to get the same poof as that dress example image?

I'm so terribly sorry for all the questions, I hope you don't mind too much ;n;

Yes, that is the same one on vivicore that I have. You can roll the hem of the malco modes, and you can move the waist band, but even on the shortest setting it's on the long side. Sometimes I tuck points of the top layer into the waist, or pin up bits of it to adjust the shape. It's best for A-line. It's a nicer petticoat than the Classical Puppets one. The waist band elastic is very gentle and you can adjust the length of the waistband. I got mine off of amazon or ebay or something for ~$50. Sometimes I put a really cheap bodyline petti (one of the ~$11 ones) that I got before I knew what I was doing on over it for more cupcake skirts. It is too long for anything Putumayo, and too full for some of BTSSB less full skirts. It's like a pillow of softness.

The classical puppets one I have in black, but mine is the Classical Puppets A-Line Petticoat. It cost me ~$30 + TaoBao Fees + Shipping (WAY less than $80 total though! I wouldn't spend $80 on this!). The waistband elastic on mine is "strong", so it leaves a dent in my skin... it's not as comfortable as the malco modes. The black one also bled until I hand washed it twice and rinsed it out in the shower for like 20 minutes. It's decent if you can get it cheap, but I'd get white, not black if I was getting another! I don't layer it with anything, because I usually use it when the malco modes is too much for the dress/skirt I'm wearing. It's reasonably soft.

and no, not at all, I'm happy to help! No worries ^____^

Raine Dragon
Yes, that is the same one on vivicore that I have. You can roll the hem of the malco modes, and you can move the waist band, but even on the shortest setting it's on the long side. Sometimes I tuck points of the top layer into the waist, or pin up bits of it to adjust the shape. It's best for A-line. It's a nicer petticoat than the Classical Puppets one. The waist band elastic is very gentle and you can adjust the length of the waistband. I got mine off of amazon or ebay or something for ~$50. Sometimes I put a really cheap bodyline petti (one of the ~$11 ones) that I got before I knew what I was doing on over it for more cupcake skirts. It is too long for anything Putumayo, and too full for some of BTSSB less full skirts. It's like a pillow of softness.

The classical puppets one I have in black, but mine is the Classical Puppets A-Line Petticoat. It cost me ~$30 + TaoBao Fees + Shipping (WAY less than $80 total though! I wouldn't spend $80 on this!). The waistband elastic on mine is "strong", so it leaves a dent in my skin... it's not as comfortable as the malco modes. The black one also bled until I hand washed it twice and rinsed it out in the shower for like 20 minutes. It's decent if you can get it cheap, but I'd get white, not black if I was getting another! I don't layer it with anything, because I usually use it when the malco modes is too much for the dress/skirt I'm wearing. It's reasonably soft.

and no, not at all, I'm happy to help! No worries ^____^

Sorry to be so late in my response but thank you thank you thank you so much for your help and advice! I was able to talk it out with my aunt and I'm going to be getting the Fluffy Petticoat from Vivicore as well as the Classical Puppets' bell shape so I can try them both out and have them on hand :> On Clobba I was quoted around $58 for the petticoat including shipping, better than Qutieland's $80 :'s I'm only really interested in white petticoats for now but I will definitely keep that in mind about the black CP! I hope to get one of their A Lines as well as try a VictorianGirlDress petticoat in the future when money allows so any information I can get is useful ;u;

And I'm glad to hear that about the Malco Modes's waistband, I'll definitely mess around with it when I finally get it and see what I can do with it and how long it gets on me! I have heard of others layering with Bodyline petticoats, at least they're useful for something sometimes :'3

Gosh thanks so much again for your help and knowledge <3 I'd love to draw you something as my way of thanks, would you like avatar art or a general request?

Tanaie
As someone who has bought from "Victorian Girl Dress", definitely buy from them.
Even just one of these petticoats give really good poof...And if you were to buy two, you'd have maximum poofage.

Not only that, but these petticoats feel really nice, and they're comfortable too!

I've actually decided to get a Malco Modes 582 P/Vivcore Fluffy Petticoat and a Classical Puppets Bell Shape. But I DEFINITELY appreciate the VGD feedback and the next time I have more money for petticoats I am most certainly going to pick one up from them! I've heard so much about how nice they are, the only thing that maybe made me hesitant this first time is the size may not quite be what I need right now.
Would you say they are a little on the shorter side? Do they show up even under the hem when you wear them? I'm thinking because VGD sells them in cute colors I'd try to get a light pink one since my other two will be white, but I heard they were on the shortish side so they propbably shouldn't peek out much at all? Sorry for just asking a lot of questions ;n;

Sparkly Millionaire

9,650 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Milady Alluca
I've actually decided to get a Malco Modes 582 P/Vivcore Fluffy Petticoat and a Classical Puppets Bell Shape. But I DEFINITELY appreciate the VGD feedback and the next time I have more money for petticoats I am most certainly going to pick one up from them! I've heard so much about how nice they are, the only thing that maybe made me hesitant this first time is the size may not quite be what I need right now.
Would you say they are a little on the shorter side? Do they show up even under the hem when you wear them? I'm thinking because VGD sells them in cute colors I'd try to get a light pink one since my other two will be white, but I heard they were on the shortish side so they propbably shouldn't peek out much at all? Sorry for just asking a lot of questions ;n;

If you're interested in getting a Malco Modes petti, I'd suggest searching eBay and Google for one before opting for Vivcore. Her prices are a bit high and her shipping times can be a bit long ^^

As for the VGD pettis, they don't peek out. at 5'6" I find they're a nice length for wearing under my lolita pieces and they provide poof but stop at the right point. My Malco Modes offers nice poof and is very sturdy, but it's frankly a pain to deal with and it sticks out all the time >w< I think it's a matter of personal preference and body frame but at my present size I like the VGD petti I have better than my Malco Modes one.

AngelCyra
I received my VictorianGirlDress petticoat about two weeks ago. I would say that it is fine for standard poofage, but I layer it over another petticoat for maximum cupcake form. whee I think two would be great to achieve the look, but I already had another one laying around so I just bought one from them. Oh, and if you aren't on the tall side like me, the petticoat might be a little long. It's easy enough to roll the top elastic, but still worth mentioning. It sits comfortably when rolled too, so that should not be a concern. Good luck to ya! ^_^

Thanks so much for the feedback, I will keep this in mind when I get a third petticoat as I'm going with two different options now. With all the good marks for Victorian Girl Dress I'm sure when that opportunity arises I won't be disappointed c:
I'm glad you mentioned if the elastic can be rolled, I'm not sure where I fall on the tall or short side of things so it's good to know just in case :>
Could I offer you maybe avatar art or a request drawing as my way of thanks?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff