• Angelic Alliance 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Chaotic Wishes
Thank you very much! heart
Nordic_Bjork
legnanellaf5
Nordic_Bjork
legnanellaf5
Lolita isnt a costume. So, please dont wear it for halloween.I can tell you that the second one is from a taobao shop, but that is not going to be in time for halloween, and that is too short of a time frame for most stores too.

If you are interested in lolita as a style, please research it first. I suggest sites like hellolace.net, or http://egl.livejournal.com/ to read up on it before looking to buy anything.

I can't wear lolita for halloween? I think it would look perfect if I added some props and cosmetics. I have this white dead hair wig too stare

Research a style? neutral Why? I didn't "research" the emo style when I was a teenager. I know what fits and goes well with most, but I don't think I have to research something....?

Yes, because wearing it as a costume is rude. I dont care what you think it would look good, if you arent going to do basic research on a style that is complex, then you are just disrespecting the people here. Fashion takes time to learn and master, and you cant compare it to emo, or your probably bad attempt at that style too.

I dont know why you are complaining about people judging you when you are saying you dont care about how we feel. Either be respectful if you want advice...or dont ask for it and do your own thing and dont tell us.

First of all I never have mentioned the word "judged" or "judging" over myself and what I feel about that. I mentioned I don't care what people think about what I wear.

And it's natural for someone to get judged by others before knowing them, which I have forgiven the person who did so accidentally with no harm in thought before.
And please read my latest reply. Halloween is for fun. Who knows or cares that my dress is actually from Bodyline, actually lolita, actually gothic lolita? I don't think I would offend anyone making it look so much better as a combined piece making it look cool with something else. Maybe I should start a new fashion?

And I have read the HelloLace page for Gothic Lolita just for you smile
I found down at the bottom, which may also apply to all other fashion styles in the world, just not lolita:

Note: Of course, these are just simple occurrences that are commonly seen within this style. They are no absolute rules of any kind. Be creative and experiment!

Creative. Experiment. Must be some new words, never heard of them maybe? So you shouldn't complain.

So there's it. I can do what I want, and if I "offend" someone or make a tear thrill because of that, I will gently say "I am sorry" smile So I'm sorry if I offended you, this topic was only to ask for help to find a dress, but now when I read how people are obsessed with "brands", where clothing is bought from, how short thoughted some are I don't think I want to get in such a community at all.All in all my old emo friends where more acceptable heart

Again, I dont care what some emo friends thought, that was barely a style, and was not based in fashion. We are not talking about a style you recreate by wearing skinny jeans you can get from anyone, this is a style in which the standard is going to be clothign you cant just recreate anywhere and yes, a brand that is going to be like 300$. This is not comparable to your bad attempt at emo.

The point of that quote is that there are like 'guidlines not rules', which doesnt mean do what you want, it means think before you act. Experimentation is fine, I do it too, but something you clearly never thought of is that you experiment only when you GET it. and you dont get it.You dont seem to want to, you seem hell bend on doign what you want which is not going to be lolita as you dont know much about the fashion and with your very stupid idea of 'mixing' things it will be a hot mess. That isnt lolita. Hellolace is not the be all to these things, and Ill tell you right now there are going to be tons of places which will tell you rule like things and if you cant 'get' that, you dont belong in the fashion. Especially if you wont even consider the fact that you are harming others by mocking them and not even trying to get where others are coming from. I am not brand obsessed, but I have invested a ton of money in this clothing, and so it is disrepctful for you to just go and wear my REAL clothing as a costume.

Also while halloween is fun, it can be offensive. If you dont understand how mocking other people (fashion is minor to what other things you can do instead), then please just gtfo. You are being unreasnably rude about something that peopel care about, and this is something you could see in other fashions. I would feel the exact same way for if you tried to dress goth just for halloween, I would feel more annoyed if you tried to emulate race with that half assed excuse of halloween is for fun. It isnt fun when you are the one being made fun of. It is not fun when you are the one who has to deal with the result of it. Think before you act.

I dont really think I want people like you in the community anyways. I am being quite harsh in this reply, but it is because you seem to not care about what other people think, which means you will not belong in a group like a comm. Being part of a community means being able think about how people in general feel and then you know...actually try to be a part of a group. You dont seem to want to be a part of any group.

Good luck on your halloween thing, just dont call your mess lolita.
Wauw, ok, some parts of this discussion are getting a bit overheated to my tastes...

Anyway, I'd say: wear what you like. Just keep in mind that lolita is an intricate fashion and to do it well you have to invest (time, money, etc). People are kind of sensitive about it, because of those investments.
If you just want to use lolita as a guideline or inspiration for your Halloween costume, go ahead. It is true that some costumes (for example native American stuff) can be pretty rude/racist, but personally I think it's a lot less bad when you take a lifestyle as a costume. You can't change where you were born or what colour skin you have, so to mock people for those reasons is just plain wrong. You can, however, chose to participate in lolita or not. And however you're gonna look at the fashion it is a bit extreme, in the sense of being remote from everyday western style clothing... So naturally people who don't know, will think of it as a kind of costume and are wont use it as such on occasions.
Of course, if you want people to recognise you're dressed up in lolita, you're going to have to be aware of the 'basic rules' (knee length skirt, etc) and costumes that look a lot like it. To avoid looking like a maid for example, you could steer away from the black/white colourscheme completely. (You can dress lolita in black and white, but if you don't know much about the fashion, it can be tricky.)
To be on the save side, if you decide to dress up in lolita-like clothing for Halloween, just call it 'lolita-inspired'. Can't go wrong with that, right wink

Fluffy Fatcat

8,125 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
legnanellaf5
Nordic_Bjork
legnanellaf5
Nordic_Bjork
legnanellaf5
Lolita isnt a costume. So, please dont wear it for halloween.I can tell you that the second one is from a taobao shop, but that is not going to be in time for halloween, and that is too short of a time frame for most stores too.

If you are interested in lolita as a style, please research it first. I suggest sites like hellolace.net, or http://egl.livejournal.com/ to read up on it before looking to buy anything.

I can't wear lolita for halloween? I think it would look perfect if I added some props and cosmetics. I have this white dead hair wig too stare

Research a style? neutral Why? I didn't "research" the emo style when I was a teenager. I know what fits and goes well with most, but I don't think I have to research something....?

Yes, because wearing it as a costume is rude. I dont care what you think it would look good, if you arent going to do basic research on a style that is complex, then you are just disrespecting the people here. Fashion takes time to learn and master, and you cant compare it to emo, or your probably bad attempt at that style too.

I dont know why you are complaining about people judging you when you are saying you dont care about how we feel. Either be respectful if you want advice...or dont ask for it and do your own thing and dont tell us.

First of all I never have mentioned the word "judged" or "judging" over myself and what I feel about that. I mentioned I don't care what people think about what I wear.

And it's natural for someone to get judged by others before knowing them, which I have forgiven the person who did so accidentally with no harm in thought before.
And please read my latest reply. Halloween is for fun. Who knows or cares that my dress is actually from Bodyline, actually lolita, actually gothic lolita? I don't think I would offend anyone making it look so much better as a combined piece making it look cool with something else. Maybe I should start a new fashion?

And I have read the HelloLace page for Gothic Lolita just for you smile
I found down at the bottom, which may also apply to all other fashion styles in the world, just not lolita:

Note: Of course, these are just simple occurrences that are commonly seen within this style. They are no absolute rules of any kind. Be creative and experiment!

Creative. Experiment. Must be some new words, never heard of them maybe? So you shouldn't complain.

So there's it. I can do what I want, and if I "offend" someone or make a tear thrill because of that, I will gently say "I am sorry" smile So I'm sorry if I offended you, this topic was only to ask for help to find a dress, but now when I read how people are obsessed with "brands", where clothing is bought from, how short thoughted some are I don't think I want to get in such a community at all.All in all my old emo friends where more acceptable heart

Again, I dont care what some emo friends thought, that was barely a style, and was not based in fashion. We are not talking about a style you recreate by wearing skinny jeans you can get from anyone, this is a style in which the standard is going to be clothign you cant just recreate anywhere and yes, a brand that is going to be like 300$. This is not comparable to your bad attempt at emo.

The point of that quote is that there are like 'guidlines not rules', which doesnt mean do what you want, it means think before you act. Experimentation is fine, I do it too, but something you clearly never thought of is that you experiment only when you GET it. and you dont get it.You dont seem to want to, you seem hell bend on doign what you want which is not going to be lolita as you dont know much about the fashion and with your very stupid idea of 'mixing' things it will be a hot mess. That isnt lolita. Hellolace is not the be all to these things, and Ill tell you right now there are going to be tons of places which will tell you rule like things and if you cant 'get' that, you dont belong in the fashion. Especially if you wont even consider the fact that you are harming others by mocking them and not even trying to get where others are coming from. I am not brand obsessed, but I have invested a ton of money in this clothing, and so it is disrepctful for you to just go and wear my REAL clothing as a costume.

Also while halloween is fun, it can be offensive. If you dont understand how mocking other people (fashion is minor to what other things you can do instead), then please just gtfo. You are being unreasnably rude about something that peopel care about, and this is something you could see in other fashions. I would feel the exact same way for if you tried to dress goth just for halloween, I would feel more annoyed if you tried to emulate race with that half assed excuse of halloween is for fun. It isnt fun when you are the one being made fun of. It is not fun when you are the one who has to deal with the result of it. Think before you act.

I dont really think I want people like you in the community anyways. I am being quite harsh in this reply, but it is because you seem to not care about what other people think, which means you will not belong in a group like a comm. Being part of a community means being able think about how people in general feel and then you know...actually try to be a part of a group. You dont seem to want to be a part of any group.

Good luck on your halloween thing, just dont call your mess lolita.

Haha god sitting here laughing my s**t off! You totally just exploded right now! God sorry then xd rofl
..emo fashion? euughh, each to their own.
I will admit that this has been a really interesting post for me to read through.

I agree with legnanellaf5.

While HelloLace (or whatever you read) says you can be creative, there are rules for what is generally known as the lolita aesthetic - silhouette shape, legwear, blouses.. Otherwise you'll just be wearing a sad looking dress looking like you got dressed in the dark and no one wants that >_<

"Just to not be stared at or whispered at, Hate that."
"*I don't care if I "insult" anyone from my clothing."

I am really sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if you're not going to follow the basic guidelines or research what you're getting into before you chuck on a dress, you will get stared at and whispered about more so than someone who has a decent grasp of what they're doing. There are even instances of people being physically assaulted over the fashion.

Basically, if you look like a hot mess, you will become a target both in real life and online.

(Wait, I just need to remember that you're intending on doing this for Halloween, not because you want to fully get into the fashion..)

I don't mean to come across as sounding harsh (similar boat as mboarder, I know her in real life and she's an absolute sweetheart and hates coming across the wrong way).

I doubt anything you purchase online now would reach you in time for Halloween unfortunately but I hope you have an awesome one!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff