Welcome to Gaia! ::

Romantic Lover

Where could I find some pretty dresses? I'm kind of on the large side. I have a feeling SOMEONE is going to make fat comments, but eh, whatever. Help?

Profitable Businessman

Well it depends on just how big you are. I know a girl who I'd consider more than chubby, and she can fit into quite a few brand pieces, just look for lots of shiring and larger measurements before you buy.

If not, some taobao shops do custom sizing, and so do many indie brands, though I don't have much experience with those myself. Just whatever you do, avoid replicas. They are usually not worth the price.

Citizen

No one is going to call you out on being chubby.

If they do, well its their problem.

There are lots of examples of Larger Lolita Ladys who manage to pull the style of quite well.

Lonely Phantom

I'm a plus sized lolita myself, and while being a larger girl presents some challenges, it's not impossible by any means. I'm roughly a size 16/18 in US sizing, which makes me larger than the target audience for most Japanese brands, but I'm actually hella proud of my wardrobe. smile

Brand items:
Fully shirred items by BTSSB and AP will generally fit me. However I have fallen in love with Meta's shirred JSKs. (My lolita buddy told me that one of the Meta designers is a "big girl" herself, so they tend to offer a lot of items that are flattering for larger sizes.) If you're unfamiliar with shirring, it basically means that elastic is sewn in several rows through the top of the garment. This means that the top is stretchy and can fit a variety of sizes. I have a fully shirred JSK that I have worn several times, but I lent it to a friend (who is like a size 6) and it fit her as well. :3 In general JSKs fit better on a plus-sized frame rather than OP dresses. The sleeve circumference on brand OPs and blouses can often be restrictive.

Off-brand items:
Oh my goodness. I love me some off-brand lolita. I have bought several JSKs/skirts/etc that are made by talented seamstresses in the states! These are fun because I'm almost sure to have an outfit no one else does, and I feel like I get to be more creative with my coords. Some websites like Fan + Friend or shops of Taobao will do custom sizing, which means you can get a garment to fit your body exactly. (Admittedly, sometimes custom sizing can be hit or miss when you do it online. Be sure to take accurate measurements! If doing a taobao order, check with your taobao agent to make sure they have the correct information!)

Buying Secondhand:
Pretty much 90% of my wardrobe was bought secondhand. Not only is it less expensive than buying new, but I am able to get a little more information about the garment from its original owner. Sometimes the measurements on the official website (or hellolace etc) are not entirely accurate. Or maybe the original owner can tell me that the length of the skirt is a little longer than most items by that brand etc. In general, lolitas take very good care of their garments. I've never had a problem buying something secondhand. :3

Just be sure:
Be realistic about your body type and what you think is flattering. Don't bother trying to smoosh yourself into a dress just because it's brand. (I am coming to terms with selling one of my dream dresses because I finally admitted to myself that it looks a little funny in the bust area.) There are a ton of alternatives, and finding something that works with your body is going to keep you looking fantastic and out of the realm of ita. smile Honestly, when I find a style that works for me, I want to buy it up in as many prints or colors as possible. XD

Tiny Fatcat

3,600 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Consumer 100
Rhissy
Where could I find some pretty dresses? I'm kind of on the large side. I have a feeling SOMEONE is going to make fat comments, but eh, whatever. Help?
█†█†█†█ Have you tried Blasphemina's Closet? Every design is unique to each individual, and she does custom order's too♥.
http://www.blaspheminascloset.com/

Versatile Rogue

11,150 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
http://www.dominodollhouse.com/

Domino Dollhouse is an awesome source for Lolita-esqe clothing (i say -esqe 'cause it's not their primary focus) and if you follow their twitter they will sometimes post coupons 3nodding

6,950 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Flatterer 200
jadednightwing
http://www.dominodollhouse.com/

Domino Dollhouse is an awesome source for Lolita-esqe clothing (i say -esqe 'cause it's not their primary focus) and if you follow their twitter they will sometimes post coupons 3nodding

I'm... kind of wondering what you're seeing that you think is Lolita-esque, because I see nothing.
Rhissy

I've not gotten any fat comments myself. But everyone I've met in my local community is really accepting. It's sometimes the people online that you have to worry about. People are afraid to say anything face to face, but behind a username or Anonymous, they can say whatever. Generally, as long as you put an effort toward dressing well, keeping well groomed, and are pleasant to be around, you shouldn't have any problems. I was paranoid for years because of what I heard the Lolita community was like and avoided the fashion until this year. But I've yet to encounter any issues because of my weight.

Someone mentioned earlier that you can fit into a lot of things depending on size. I'm roughly about 14/16 US myself and there are a great deal of things that will fit me. But it's a challenge finding things that fit and are flattering. Jsks and Ops with full or at least full back shirring usually fit or are very close to fitting. But I avoid babydolls like the plauge. It's hard to find anything that fits at your natural waist because usually at a larger size, you have larger boobs, and that pulls your waistband area up a lot. I tend to counter this with cardigans and boleros that are a little longer.

To be honest, I don't like full shirring because it looks really gross. I really prefer full back shirring, because then, it's not making your boobies look lumpy. I have a fully-shirred blouse that I can only wear with JSKs. It looks that bad on me.

Minimizer bras help minimize boob loaf (when your boobs are squished by having little room to move in your top). I also make use of corsets and supportive undergarments/shapers etc to get rid of lumps. Be aware that corsets don't actually take away in the measurements, the mass has to go somewhere, and that's usually up. But it can help give your boobs a little lift when your waistline reaches too close to the underbust. But it will also add a little to your measurements depending how thick the corset is. (Avoid cheap plastic boned corsets and go for steel boned only, plastic ones don't do a thing for you and are uncomfortable).

If you're on a budget, Bodyline offers a lot of items, but be aware that not many are actually plus-sized. A few items offer full shirring. I like to buy a JSK and matching skirt, butcher the skirt for extra fabric to make bigger shirring panels (or in some cases, completely redo straps because of the way they're attached). I've done this with two JSKs sofar. If you look, you can usually find the skirts second-hand for a bit cheaper. But they are a good source for shoes and cheap cute socks.

Dapper Darling

Just because I gotta rep my seamstresses, you can also sew. EGL has a huge repository of DIY lolita tutorials that I swear by.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm plus size lolita too, and I've never gotten crap about it in this community.

Romantic Lover

tehrin
Thanks a lot for the info. I'm a 20/22 in US sizes. I'm trying to get into a workout routine to tone up and get rid of a lot of my..fat. xD Just to put it into perspective. xD

Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions, I will look at the sites. I've been wanting a Lolita dress for a long time, especially with Halloween coming up, I could wear one, feel great, and not get a ton of stares. x.x I'm not good when people stare at me.

Anyone here wear them on a regular basis? Do people stare?

Kawaii Girl

Rhissy
tehrin
Thanks a lot for the info. I'm a 20/22 in US sizes. I'm trying to get into a workout routine to tone up and get rid of a lot of my..fat. xD Just to put it into perspective. xD

Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions, I will look at the sites. I've been wanting a Lolita dress for a long time, especially with Halloween coming up, I could wear one, feel great, and not get a ton of stares. x.x I'm not good when people stare at me.

I wear it on a regular basis and people definitely stare. I get more compliments than people mocking me, though. I used to be super shy, but Lolita has built up my confidence sooo much.

Dapper Darling

Rhissy
tehrin

It's a good kind of staring, dollface. <3

Magnetic Sex Symbol

hachikyu
Rhissy
█†█†█†█ Have you tried Blasphemina's Closet? Every design is unique to each individual, and she does custom order's too♥.
I can vouch for this site too. I've met the woman who runs Blasphemina's closet and she's always willing to spend extra time to take care of her clients. The same goes for Megan Maude and her website (Right here: Megan Maude). They will both bust thier butts to make you beautiful!

Original Lunatic

Angel_Takio
hachikyu
Rhissy
I can vouch for this site too. I've met the woman who runs Blasphemina's closet and she's always willing to spend extra time to take care of her clients. The same goes for Megan Maude and her website (Right here: Megan Maude). They will both bust thier butts to make you beautiful!

Another vote for Blasphemina's!
The amazing lady who runs it went to the same high school I did and she's super nice and does beautiful work.

Dangerous Shopper

As others have mentioned, for off-brand loli clothes, there are lots of places that will do tailoring, or make some larger sizes. Of course a lot of the Hong Kong, China, and Taiwan places are popular, like TaoBao, etc. Some loli forums have directories where they keep information and links to various subjects and to vendor websites, so check out the site map for some popular loli chat spots. I know a lot of people started with the egl forums on livejournal, and they do have some decent link lists compiled.

Also, large is relative. Get out a measure tape or some string that you can measure later - take your full list of measurements. This'll be helpful in purchasing any clothes online, but with loli clothes it's often required. I never thought about how long my arms are or wide my shoulders until I started considering loli clothes online. It's good if you have a measuring tape that has centimeters as well as inches, but there are converters online if you need to go back and forth on the numbers.

If you do have the opportunity to go to a resale shop or boutique - either an actual store site or at a convention - then it's worthwhile to have the physical knowledge of trying on clothes. Even just holding them against you. Numbers are one thing, but I've bought more than one jumperskirt that wasn't supposed to be able to fit me, and had many more than said they should fit but didn't. Actual muscle memory of the clothes is useful and informs your buying.

And you can always start small. Build it up X3 There will be some styles you just love but won't be meant for you. There will be some styles that surprise you. It helps to keep in mind what works for you in regular clothes to start with. (I, for one, do not look good at all in high empire-waisted looks, and that's a shame since so many brands adore that babydoll look and put their prettiest prints in that style emo ) As fashion goes, I think loli is hiLARious, and you should have fun with it.
Personally, I've found that especially with brand items, skirts and onepieces will be a bit more restrictive on the measurements unless elastic is involved. My wardrobe is mostly blouses, cutsews, and jumperskirts. A few brands have really expanded their sizing, it's worth a look! Especially during sales X3
Ahaha, and I'm trying out something new myself - I just ordered my first wa-loli outfit from Bodyline to try this look out, as a holiday gift to myself XD; And I sure hope it works, because I adore lolita in wa prints - I have three of those kimono print dresses that Metamorphose put out. Be adventurous, you would-be cupcake! Lace isn't for wussies.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff