Welcome to Gaia! ::

Interesting Bloodsucker

This is probably an old episode on WHat not to Wear.
A lady named Lexa,who seemed to like Lolita,,,was on this show. THose hosts THREW everything away for her to dress like them. I have read the comments,people said her clothes
were shipped back,but in ruins and the show won't even replace them. Lolita is EXPENSIVE.
This...is awful.

Fashionable Vampire

6,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
I heard she got everything back, and it was in fine condition once she explained to them how much it cost.

Interesting Bloodsucker

Sephina
I heard she got everything back, and it was in fine condition once she explained to them how much it cost.

Ah. Will she continue wearing Lolita?

Fashionable Vampire

6,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Innocent Winter
Sephina

Ah. Will she continue wearing Lolita?
I'm not part of the community, but I've heard she still does, just only to meets and not to work anymore. But I've also heard all the Denver lolita found her stuff at goodwill shops and gave it back to her too. I'm not sure which one is the real story.
Fun fact: People apply to be on shows like this, before the cameras start rolling you have to sign a huge a** contract (I filled one in the size of a small magazine to be on a TV show for less than ten seconds) that details all the things that could happen.
If you rush to sign on the dotted line and don't read the contract then you really hae nobody to blame but yourself if your stuff gets thrown away or you end up as part of the Human Cent-iPad.

Kawaii Girl

Sigmoonda
Fun fact: People apply to be on shows like this, before the cameras start rolling you have to sign a huge a** contract (I filled one in the size of a small magazine to be on a TV show for less than ten seconds) that details all the things that could happen.
If you rush to sign on the dotted line and don't read the contract then you really hae nobody to blame but yourself if your stuff gets thrown away or you end up as part of the Human Cent-iPad.

I agree with this. She agreed to be on this show, so no one should really feel bad for her. Also, there was only one dress I saw that looked at all expensive.

Liberal Werewolf

6,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Though this is an old-ish topic, I've only recently watched it as well, so I'm glad there's a place to discuss it again without necroing... smile

Honestly, she wasn't an amazingly co-ordinated lolita (though she was having fun, so it doesn't matter) and I agree that she probably shouldn't have worn it to work, but why the hosts had to make such a big deal out of lolita being OMGZ UGLY COSTUMES FROM JAPAN *gasp* I don't know. Clinton and Stacy are good at what they do, but if they're going to call themselves fashion experts, they should expand their minds to alternative/global/street fashion as well.

I wish that instead of applying to be on this show, Lexa had researched and worked on her own to improve her co-ords and make them less costume-y, and found a way to separate lolita from work without giving it up completely.
FeatherFace11
Though this is an old-ish topic, I've only recently watched it as well, so I'm glad there's a place to discuss it again without necroing... smile

Honestly, she wasn't an amazingly co-ordinated lolita (though she was having fun, so it doesn't matter) and I agree that she probably shouldn't have worn it to work, but why the hosts had to make such a big deal out of lolita being OMGZ UGLY COSTUMES FROM JAPAN *gasp* I don't know. Clinton and Stacy are good at what they do, but if they're going to call themselves fashion experts, they should expand their minds to alternative/global/street fashion as well.

I wish that instead of applying to be on this show, Lexa had researched and worked on her own to improve her co-ords and make them less costume-y, and found a way to separate lolita from work without giving it up completely.

To be fair on the lack of co-ordination skills, the two shows I have been on chose what I wore during filming, so it's entirely possible that her outfit was chosen for her to make the fashion seem extra strange to outsiders.
The last thing I filmed for I wanted to wear classic but ended up in a weird punk co-ord the producers made from picking out random bits that I'd sent them photos of 0.o

Profitable Businessman

She's wearing a long-sleeved t-shirt under a very "meh" looking dress.
I don't like her outfits, they barely qualify as lolita imo.

Now aside from that, I don't understand why she's acting like everything that happened was a big surprise. Anyone familiar with that show knows that they trash your clothes and pick you apart, yet she acts like everything was unanticipated or done without her permission.

I'm kind of dissapointed that she's the kind of lolita representing the fashion to many people who might watch this and have no other exposure to the fashion besides her. She just looks sloppy, and lolita is about being very put-together.

Sugary Bunny

19,000 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Signature Look 250
I. HATE. THAT. SHOW. It just goes to show how judgmental and shallow people are nowadays. This is one good example of that. stressed

If your happy with what your wearing, then wear it with pride!

Liberal Werewolf

6,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Quote:
To be fair on the lack of co-ordination skills, the two shows I have been on chose what I wore during filming, so it's entirely possible that her outfit was chosen for her to make the fashion seem extra strange to outsiders.
The last thing I filmed for I wanted to wear classic but ended up in a weird punk co-ord the producers made from picking out random bits that I'd sent them photos of 0.o

That's a good point... I think all of the throw-away items have to be from the person on the show's actual closet, but the producers (whoever...) might put together the bad "example" outfits the guests wear on the show... Now I can't unsee how it was probably totally staged eek

Sparkling Dragon

18,890 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
The entire premise of the show is that people go on there because people around them have decided that they are so hopeless at dressing themselves that throwing out everything they own, and being teased about it is worth the advice and $5,000 to start over.

That said, she knew going into it that they were going to throw out her clothing and make fun of her; that's their gimmick; it's what they do, and she had to say yes and sign a contract going into it... and she had a terrible attitude about the whole thing the whole time. If she didn't want to do it, she shouldn't have agreed to do it; you could tell that even the hosts were miffed at her attitude.

I haven't seen that episode in a couple years, but if I remember correctly, her "lolita" things in her closet were not flattering and were edging into ita territory, to be bluntly honest... so no, I'm not surprised that they tore her apart for it given that is what they do.

Bashful Shopper

The impression that I got when I watched the show was that she had one Meta dress and was wearing it like a sun dress to work, she didn't seem like much of a serious loli anyways.
BUT I think it's a but too harsh to judge her coords without seeing her at a meet, I'll be the first to admit that if I'm in a crappy mood I'll hop into my super casual meta dress and a cardigan and off I trot to take on the world in my frills with a new attitude. If that was all other lolis ever saw of me I'm sure they'd be absolutely appalled, but when I go to meets I'm always in AP with tea parties, OTKs, a cutsew, a wig, a head eating bow, sweets jewellery, and petticoats. (Not that that's how every loli should dress, but it's a pretty accepted outfit breakdown)
Likewise, I don't think we should judge her ita-ness on that one time she wore a brand dress like a sun dress and it got caught on tape.

On the other hand, her attitude pissed me off to the point I couldn't finish watching sooooo...

Bat Trash's Fangirl

Sparkly Werewolf

12,125 Points
  • Excitable Emoter 25
  • Haunted Haute Couture: Cute 200
  • Forum Regular 100
Sure, she had to sign the papers and all that, but people on those shows get bullied into it by their loved ones. They agree to it to make them happy and in hopes that they'll lay off of insulting how they choose to dress. Even hoarders lets you keep things that are valuable to you! I've always hated that show.

I know my parents aren't crazy about the way I dress, but they respect me enough to not harp on me about it. Throwing my clothes away won't stop me from dressing the same way in my free time (I'd just buy more when I could), however helping me pick out clothing that's appropriate for certain events while keeping my tastes in mind will definitely change the way I dress for work and nice events. I admit to having no idea about fashions outside of my own and I won't turn down help, but god help the person who tries to change how I look in my free time.

Partying Prophet

I just don't know why any lolita would sign up for a show like this. If you're a part of a community centered around an alternative fashion of course the vanilla people are going to try to throw your stuff away. ._.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff