Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wealthy Fatcat

4,300 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
I am a fan of anime, and so it is only natural that I love all cosplay.

I am not sure where Lolita emerged from, (my guess is anime but please tell me if I am incorrect) but it is such an elegant and personal style, obviously not for everyone, but for a lot of people.

Tell me, is it for you? If not, how come? Feel free to post photographs of your best lolita look - it's a gorgeous style and it's very admirable smile <3

-Purae Fox-a-lox biggrin redface heart 4laugh

Desirable Lunatic

Lolita actually has nothing to do with anime, yes is does occasionally show up in anime but that is because it is a well know fashion trend from japan. You will also see Lolitas at anime connections which usually enforces the falsehood that they are some how connected but anime cons seem to have become some sort of Mecca of Japanese Culture.

Another common mistake people make it thinking that Lolita is some form of Cosplay, it's not. It's a Fashion trend, just one of many from the streets of Harajuku.

That being said like all fashion Lolita might not be for everyone but then it is a very time consuming and some what expensive hobby. Personally I love it. I'm more of a classic lolita since it's the victorian/rococo silhouette that first drew me to this style.

I love that it's kind of a modern take on an old world style

Wealthy Fatcat

4,300 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
Ahh okay, I understand. And yeah it's not a form of cosplay. However it's kind of ironic how I see a lot of Lolita at Anime Conventions, probably because it does quite frequently appear in anime.
It's good that you like it smile . I've always admired it, however it is not for me. I love the style but it is rather expensive, and where I live I cannot casually go down the street wearing a gorgeous gown without getting a few raised eye brows. Kid of sucks really..
The Goddess Shilen
Lolita actually has nothing to do with anime, yes is does occasionally show up in anime but that is because it is a well know fashion trend from japan. You will also see Lolitas at anime connections which usually enforces the falsehood that they are some how connected but anime cons seem to have become some sort of Mecca of Japanese Culture.

Another common mistake people make it thinking that Lolita is some form of Cosplay, it's not. It's a Fashion trend, just one of many from the streets of Harajuku.

That being said like all fashion Lolita might not be for everyone but then it is a very time consuming and some what expensive hobby. Personally I love it. I'm more of a classic lolita since it's the victorian/rococo silhouette that first drew me to this style.

I love that it's kind of a modern take on an old world style

Desirable Lunatic

Purae Fox
Ahh okay, I understand. And yeah it's not a form of cosplay. However it's kind of ironic how I see a lot of Lolita at Anime Conventions, probably because it does quite frequently appear in anime.
It's good that you like it smile . I've always admired it, however it is not for me. I love the style but it is rather expensive, and where I live I cannot casually go down the street wearing a gorgeous gown without getting a few raised eye brows. Kid of sucks really..

Lolita doesn't have to be expensive and if you compare it to other fashion trends it's comparable in price. It's just like buying any thing that has a brand name attached to it. As for wearing it regularly sometimes that just depends on how brave you are. I'm one of a hand full of lolitas in the city I live in and I do get a lot of weird looks when I go out in my dresses but I just brush it off. I love what I wear and what other people think doesn't matter nearly as much as that.

Wealthy Fatcat

4,300 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
In regards to the price, that is very true I suppose. But if I was to get into it - knowing my taste- I'd have the bank chasing after me rofl
Mmm I am fairly brave, but where I live, I can safely say I would be the only one wearing it. If you have a few others wearing it (like yourself) then the temptation to wear Lolita in public goes up and so does your courage. I think it's brilliant that you wear it biggrin
The Goddess Shilen
Purae Fox

Lolita doesn't have to be expensive and if you compare it to other fashion trends it's comparable in price. It's just like buying any thing that has a brand name attached to it. As for wearing it regularly sometimes that just depends on how brave you are. I'm one of a hand full of lolitas in the city I live in and I do get a lot of weird looks when I go out in my dresses but I just brush it off. I love what I wear and what other people think doesn't matter nearly as much as that.

Desirable Lunatic

Purae Fox
In regards to the price, that is very true I suppose. But if I was to get into it - knowing my taste- I'd have the bank chasing after me rofl
Mmm I am fairly brave, but where I live, I can safely say I would be the only one wearing it. If you have a few others wearing it (like yourself) then the temptation to wear Lolita in public goes up and so does your courage. I think it's brilliant that you wear it biggrin

I would agree with you for the most part but it really depends on the person. I only recently found out there was another lolita that lived less then an hour away from me. and as for the bank, I keep from spending too much by making a lot of my own pieces as well as buying a few.

Wealthy Fatcat

4,300 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
Ohh yeah It certaintly does pay to be able to sew smile and it's a very flexible way to add your own style/signature to your piece.
Really? An hour away? It's not a while away but there is a nice little gap there <3
The Goddess Shilen
Purae Fox

I would agree with you for the most part but it really depends on the person. I only recently found out there was another lolita that lived less then an hour away from me. and as for the bank, I keep from spending too much by making a lot of my own pieces as well as buying a few.

Dapper Flatterer

12,250 Points
  • Firestarter 200
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
The wonder is if the lolita trend could lead to the emerging of other fashions?

Sparkly Millionaire

9,650 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Purae Fox
It's good that you like it smile . I've always admired it, however it is not for me. I love the style but it is rather expensive, and where I live I cannot casually go down the street wearing a gorgeous gown without getting a few raised eye brows. Kid of sucks really...

Lolita's beginnings actually have nothing to do with anime. Lolita came out of the natural-kei trend of the 1980's (think Little House on the Prarie-style pieces), which in turn was a direct response to overly sexualized postwar Japanese fashions ^^ Its current popularity came from the visual-kei bands of the late 90's, whose members often wore gothic lolita pieces. Fans started imitating them, which led to an interest in the fashion overall, which led it to become a major fashion subculture instead of a minor street fashion.

I can't speak for every lolita, but I tend to go to anime/Japanese culture events (including conventions) because they're often the only local outlet for lolita events c: I don't hate anime but I personally don't watch very much of it and I wouldn't consider myself a fan, and I wouldn't go to a con just for the anime. My area doesn't have many lolitas immediately around me, so it's often the only time I get to attend bigger meetups.

As for price, there are a lot of gorgeous (and IMO better than brand) pieces available for well under $100. You can also buy used and get gorgeous pieces for extremely low prices. I generally consider my lolita wardrobe pretty large, and it's mostly composed of brand pieces, but on average I'd say I pay about $150 per dress and $100 per skirt (vs. $400 for a new dress and $200 for a new skirt).

As for wearing lolita on your own... I wear it daily and I can say with certainty I'm the only lolita in my immediate area, and the raised eyebrows really aren't that bad c: Most people are just curious, not hostile, because it just looks like I'm going to a fancy event. Obviously I'm not wearing over-the-top coordinates all the time (for instance, if I wear this dress out I'll take off the lacy sleeves and wear a nice bolero over it, or if I wear this one to work I'll add a wrap cardigan and a high-collared blouse with minimal ruffles, and I typically replace head-eating bows with small sidebows and hats, skip colorful wigs, and wear minimal accessories), but my outfits are still very recognizably lolita and stand out. Being in this fashion kind of requires you to have a thick skin, but at the same time it's important to recognize that creepers and jerks are in the extreme minority.

Welcoming Phantom

10,450 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Healer 50
  • Jolly Roger 50
I admire it greatly because I just adore pretty and elegant things. I never have, but I would love to embrace the Country Lolita style in my wardrobe and I would like to make all my own pieces. I'm not a fan of wearing unconventional things though. I might not have put that right but I mean it in the way that I don't like fake pockets on jeans or those shirts that have a fake vest attatched to the front or elements that don't make sense sad Those things just bug me to wear myself, but as for pretty patterned dresses bows and petticoats, I'm all in.This is why I'd prefer to only admire some of the more extreme lolita styles.
Nainia absolutely loves and adores Lolita fashion. If I had the money for it and more time I would wear it more often.

Illuminated Spirit

I personally love it, though I know it wouldn't look well on me so I don't wear it. Though I really love to see people dressed in lolita. owo

Unsealed Gatekeeper

8,725 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • First step to fame 200
I love Lolita. But I wouldn't be caught dead wearing it. Might give it a try though......

Profitable Businessman

I wear it. Not quite confident enough to be sharing pics on gaia though, I'm a newb here.

Friendly Fairy

11,500 Points
  • Super Converter 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Millionaire 200
I love Lolita and have been wearing it for over two years. I started very sweet, and now I am going into a more gothic Lolita.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff