Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hallowed Friend

11,775 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Generous 100
I'm a college student whose interested in Lolita, actually, I've been interested since my junior year in high school.

I'm kinda caramel-skinned whose between healthy and husky on the Five Levels of Fatness. And I'm also a pear-shaped, according to a friend who drew me once.
But I never know what looks good on me or how I should dress if and when I eventually start building my Lolita collection.

Can anyone... maybe help me? *proceeds to hide*

Sparkly Millionaire

9,650 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Being pear-shaped actually works really well for lolita- the poofy skirts will help camouflage your lower body and will visually balance you our a bit.

There are a lot of different cuts and styles of dresses in lolita, so do you have any idea of what style you'd like to dress in or sorts of items/themes/colors you're drawn to? That would make it much easier to offer advice c:

Hallowed Friend

11,775 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Generous 100
I've felt myself be drawn more towards Sweet, Classic, and Country Styles.
They always make me feel all floaty and happy when ever I look at those particular styles~

Precious Darling

8,850 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Big Tipper 100
  • Gender Swap 100
well its up to you what you like i can only offer advice on how you should wear them ect ...
Anyone can be a lolita emotion_bigheart

ewrr's Oppa

34,950 Points
  • Storybook Royalty 500
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Abomination 100

I do not see any trolls present.

Back to the topic at hand: Miss Kyra, since you fancy Sweet, Classic, and Country, you should try to build off of that. Have you taken a look at brands that sell garments and accessories for the aforementioned styles? I also highly recommend familiarizing yourself with the underpinnings of Lolita. For instance, a Lolita owns a reliable petticoat (and perhaps a pair of bloomers), and wears socks / tights (or sometimes both at the same time, hee hee) with her outfits; not even Ero Lolitas walk around barelegged.

I find these links to be helpful. Further reading ahead!
          Anatomy of a Lolita Outfit
          Hellolace Beginner's Guide
          Lolita Tips's Guide to Dressing For Your Body Type

Additional guides exist in the Lolita Fashion forum too. : )

6,950 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Flatterer 200
As I've not seen a definite one suggested yet, I highly recommend a trustworthy petticoat. Depending on your exact size, there's multiple places to buy it; the largest size of Victorian Girl Dress will fit on a few girls that are considered a bit larger (at least, I have no idea what 'larger' is considered these days - I'm on the gigantor list myself on that scale) and is recommended by a number of lolitas.

My personal favourite is Classical Puppets Supper Fluffy Bell-Shape Petticoat, but the site has a few more petticoats you could choose from. Just type in 'petticoat' in the search bar and you can filter them out, as they're bunched together with skirts.

There's a few other places to get them from, but as I always went for Classical Puppets, I've never really browsed around. Always avoid Bodyline petticoats, though, because even if you bunch up 3 of them, they'll fall flat in no time.

The shape of them (A-line or bell-shaped) can be personal preference, but I usually take A-line for classic, bell-shaped for sweet. But then I ruin that all over again by wearing a bell-shaped one when I've mainly worn classic, so I wouldn't stress too much over it; either would be perfectly fine with your personal preference being an indicator on if you want to buy the other one as well.

Sugary Bunny

19,000 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Signature Look 250
The best part about lolita is that any size girl can wear it unlike more fitted clothing like jeans and slim dresses lolita makes anyone look good. If your not wearing jumper skirts, just make sure you have proper fitting blouses- you don't wanna be busting out of your buttons like a sexy office woman or something! xD
If you wanna start, country, classic and casual sweet are good starts since they don't require as much effort and is easy for starters to put together. Also, have you tried your hand at sewing? You can make some of your things it'll be much easier on your wallet and plus you will have something unique to have bragging rights that you made it! Make sure you start small though with simple things or you may end up making an un-wearable monstrosity or a cheesy-looking accessory.

Sugary Bunny

19,000 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Signature Look 250
Josephine Jo
As I've not seen a definite one suggested yet, I highly recommend a trustworthy petticoat. Depending on your exact size, there's multiple places to buy it; the largest size of Victorian Girl Dress will fit on a few girls that are considered a bit larger (at least, I have no idea what 'larger' is considered these days - I'm on the gigantor list myself on that scale) and is recommended by a number of lolitas.

My personal favourite is Classical Puppets Supper Fluffy Bell-Shape Petticoat, but the site has a few more petticoats you could choose from. Just type in 'petticoat' in the search bar and you can filter them out, as they're bunched together with skirts.

There's a few other places to get them from, but as I always went for Classical Puppets, I've never really browsed around. Always avoid Bodyline petticoats, though, because even if you bunch up 3 of them, they'll fall flat in no time.

The shape of them (A-line or bell-shaped) can be personal preference, but I usually take A-line for classic, bell-shaped for sweet. But then I ruin that all over again by wearing a bell-shaped one when I've mainly worn classic, so I wouldn't stress too much over it; either would be perfectly fine with your personal preference being an indicator on if you want to buy the other one as well.

I second this.. my first petticoat was from hot-topic and woah.. I know better now! burning_eyes
You will be wearing your petticoat a LOT, so a high quality one goes a long way since this is a basic necessity in lolita.

Profitable Businessman

Josephine Jo

I own like three of those Classical Puppets pettis, they are amazing.

But about the last part... you should really look at the dress shape rather than the genre of lolita to determine what kind of petti to use. It's true that classic uses a-line more than any other genre, but they also use plenty of bell-shaped / cupcake silhouettes as well. Wearing a cupcake shaped petti under an a-line dress isn't going to look as good and vice-versa.

6,950 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Flatterer 200
Almond Milks

But about the last part... you should really look at the dress shape rather than the genre of lolita to determine what kind of petti to use. It's true that classic uses a-line more than any other genre, but they also use plenty of bell-shaped / cupcake silhouettes as well. Wearing a cupcake shaped petti under an a-line dress isn't going to look as good and vice-versa.

Ah, yeah, I forgot about that since I don't really own a variety of dresses so far (all in the same dress shape). I don't think a bellshaped petticoat would work very well under a dress like Classical Bouquet Petal from Victorian Maiden (correct me if I'm wrong). sweatdrop

Profitable Businessman

Josephine Jo
Almond Milks

Ah, yeah, I forgot about that since I don't really own a variety of dresses so far (all in the same dress shape). I don't think a bellshaped petticoat would work very well under a dress like Classical Bouquet Petal from Victorian Maiden (correct me if I'm wrong). sweatdrop

You've got it right!
This shows examples of both.

Fashionable Explorer

9,750 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100
gaia_crown No problem!!! gaia_crown

gaia_kittenstar It matters not what sixe your body is or how its shaped, ANYONE can look good in lolita if they know the anatomy of how to dress gaia_kittenstar

gaia_diamond Headdress: Headdresses are the creme of the crop of any sensible lolita's head. Whether its just simple bows to a more elegant and elaberate bonnet, hat, headband, ect, it completes the look of the lolita and overall, gives additional cuteness to the overall look

gaia_diamond Dress: Now, the dress maybe a bit tricky. I only say this because alot of first start lolittas think they can pull any regualr dress out of their closet, pair it with bloomers and a petticoat and call it lolita. This is a misconception. There are no strict rules in the lolita styles at all, quite the opposite, the styles are guidelines for creativity, however, some dress cuts are not lolita styled for teh simple fact it is either too flashy, shows too much skin and doesn't look elegant enough. The goal with lolita is to look like a porcelin doll which has this innocence about it. Just keep this in mind when picking out lolita dresses, if it doesn't say lolita directly, look for other dresses for teh same cut on teh torso and the knee. If a skirt or dress is too short, its not lolita because you are not supposed to see the bloomers underneath. More on that later. If the cut on teh torso is far too showy, then it may not be considered lolita. (Someone may correct this if I am wrong). However, lolitas don't JUST have to wear a dres. There are poofy shorts, skirts and alike for you to wear, depends greatly on the style, research is the best way to know what you're doing.

gaia_diamond Petticoat/Pannier: Ah~ now this item is essential for the classic lolita look. The petticoat/pannier is the skirt underneath that give the dress/skirt its pretty bell shape. Without this, a dress may not be considered lolita. The sihloette of a lolita is that of a bell. Look for old victorian pictures if you want a referenece. You'll need more than one of these and they come in all kinds of lengths, styles, colors and sizes, so don't think you're only subject to white or black panniers. These are sorta like under garments for a lolita, the lowest layer of frill may show but anything more, and the skirt/dress is too short and again, may not be lolita. (Correct me if I am wrong anyone...)

gaia_diamond Socks, Stockings and Pantyhoes: You have to wear socks with your shoes. I mean, you don't wqant your shoes to smell do you? Not as expensive as lolita shoes are nowadays, lol. But yes, depending onteh style and the season, you can wear socks, stockings and/or pantyhose under your dress. These can be anything from simple styles to lacy delicate mini socks for your black mary janes. There is tons of variety and this also makes the look more realistic.

gaia_diamond Bloomers: Ok, now this isn't too hard to remeber. Bloomers are tiny little poofy shorts that go under your dresses and skirts. These are considered undies, and so tehy're not suppose to show from under the dress. However, I HAVE seen some lolita dress with longer bloomers that brush against the knees and the skirt roise just enough so the lowest layer of lace could be seen of teh bloomers, so I don't know if this is a BIG no-no or what but I usually have short bloomers for shorter skirts and longer ankle like bloomers for ankle and foot length skirts. So mine never show. Bloomers come in all colors, shapes, sizes and styles and they're one of the cheapest things to get on the list besides bows, socks and purses. (in my opinion of course)

gaia_diamond Corset (If needed): Well, I am not sure if in alot of styles that a corset is needed but I do wear one. One, because I have big breasts that are hard to tame in the first place and a simple bra won't cut it nor is it flattering against teh dress. Two, I have back fat, YES BACK FAT!!!! XD and...it doesn't really give me that hour-glass look I want to make the dress look tailored fit. So a corset gives you a smooth look under your dress and it helps with big breasts as well to make them stay in place and stop popping otu of junk Xc!!! I wear one with every dress I put on, but I am not sure if its needed. Some girls wear one, soem do not. I know in teh victorian age, young girls at any age wore a corset to give then a nice clean silohette look.

gaia_diamond Shoes: These can get very pricey, but have no fear!!! There are TONS of second hand shops and sites that sell lovely lolita shoes. Again, not ALL shoes are lolita. 16 inch stilehtos are NOT lolita, at all. The heels doesn't HAVE to be short, but starting out with a short heel and working your way up to high platforms is the smart thing to do in my opinion. The shoes as well as the rest of your outfit have to keep to a certain style, deopending on what style of lolita you decide to wear that day. So wearing an elegant gothic lolita dress with bright pastel pink shoes...isn't the best way to go. Remeber, you must match and look adorable, no matter what the style.

gaia_diamond Accessories; What style would be complete without them? These can be anything from bags to dolls to parasols to teddy bears. Again, it all depends on the style you are trying to wear that day.

(Anyone can correct me or add something if I had forgotten something about the overall look)

cat_smile Its not JUST the anatomy you must research as a lolita, its the many different styles of lolita to try!!! Alot of first time lolitas start off with a Gothic or sweet appearance, but I feel a more Classic style is easier to start off with. This is how I started off. Neutral colors and nothing too exstravagant, just clean cut and elegant. Once you research, do some digging and find that perfect style for you, all will be set. Start simple and start small, look for many budgets and hand me downs on teh more expensive parts liek shoes and dresses unless you have the coin to get the designer brands. Its never hard to wear lolita and you will not have to get on a diet to wear it either. My sister is husky...as you put it....and she looks ADORABLE in sweet lolita!!!! I could never tell she was a big girl unless I actually looked really really close. She always looks amazing and knows alot fo places to get under garments for big girls. And even if I am not husky myself, I have meat on my bones and love to eat, so dieting is and never will be in my sights just to wear lolita. Trust me, once you get started, teh rest is good. Asking other lolitas for help is never a bad idea either. Don't worry about critisim, it helped me figure alot about teh style and about other styles to try. Give it a go!!!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff