Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fashionable Smoker

7,575 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Window Shopper 100
I realise it is really difficult to find a good petticoat outside of websites such as qutieland, F+F, and all the brand name sites....

I know not to buy petticoats at party stores and such like that... unless you need one quick so you just layer 3 of their pettis together
But I found quite a few indie shops around my area that sells a ton of petticoats (as described by many people on yelp). I'm thinking of taking a look, but I have a feeling it would be mostly A-line petticoats and may/may not have the right sort of support or look for a lolita dress.... Though.. A-line would probably work with the dress I'm getting....

Also a dance shop (like country dancing, square dancing and such) is around my area as well.. I'm thinking of taking a quick peak since it is quite close to see if they have some nice petticoats.........

Otherwise I would try and make my own... (Meep... I fail so much at making things though......) I kind of wish I included a petticoat in my QL order... ; A;''''''''''''''''

So what do you guys think? Have you found some nice petticoats in your local indie/secondhand stores? Is it worth even taking a look? Opinions? emotion_c8
You might find one, but my concern would be mark-up. Brick and mortar stores have a higher overhead than those who sell only online, as they have to pay rent and utilities for their location, as well as their employees' time. Most of the time, you'll be able to find the same petticoats sold in dance shops, retro/rockabilly shops and what not for cheaper online.

If it's still worth it to you to pay that bit extra for the convenience, there's no harm in it.

Fashionable Smoker

7,575 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Window Shopper 100
spuntino
You might find one, but my concern would be mark-up. Brick and mortar stores have a higher overhead than those who sell only online, as they have to pay rent and utilities for their location, as well as their employees' time. Most of the time, you'll be able to find the same petticoats sold in dance shops, retro/rockabilly shops and what not for cheaper online.

If it's still worth it to you to pay that bit extra for the convenience, there's no harm in it.

I thought of this as well....
But I wouldn't mind paying more plus I'd get to feel the material and try it on myself rather than possibly being disappointed in the end.......
Plus I don't mind supporting the small businesses in the area.. they need it..

So.. Okay.. Just wondering... thanks lots.

Precious Treasure

12,500 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Generous 100
  • Love Machine 150
User Image

I have bought every single one of my petticoats from a regular store, never online and they are all cheaper than if you bought them online. The most I have ever paid for one is $10. Where to get a good quality one if you're over 18? Sorry to say, but it's adult shops. I have a pink and a white one that are normal length and a white one that is long, all bought at adult stores. If you're not an adult though, I know some stores have them at different times. Hot Topic had a few random color ones ranging from black to purple last summer for about $15 a pop and Spencers had a medium rainbow one a while back. Sometimes you have to look in odd places you normally wouldn't go to find things. Also, depending on how 'big' you are, Wal-Mart has them during the summer in the kids section up to an extra large (which is like an junior S) and luckily I can still fit into the L and XL in the kiddy clothes even though I'm 21, so that makes shopping that much easier.

User Image

Fashionable Smoker

7,575 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Window Shopper 100
Kitten Morris
User Image

I have bought every single one of my petticoats from a regular store, never online and they are all cheaper than if you bought them online. The most I have ever paid for one is $10. Where to get a good quality one if you're over 18? Sorry to say, but it's adult shops. I have a pink and a white one that are normal length and a white one that is long, all bought at adult stores. If you're not an adult though, I know some stores have them at different times. Hot Topic had a few random color ones ranging from black to purple last summer for about $15 a pop and Spencers had a medium rainbow one a while back. Sometimes you have to look in odd places you normally wouldn't go to find things. Also, depending on how 'big' you are, Wal-Mart has them during the summer in the kids section up to an extra large (which is like an junior S) and luckily I can still fit into the L and XL in the kiddy clothes even though I'm 21, so that makes shopping that much easier.

User Image

... You are right I would never think of looking at an 18+ store... Partly because I -know- they sell petticoats but I always assume they would only be very short length.. I'll go in there when I am done looking at the dance store though.. xD
But are they good quality....? Sometimes the cheap ones become flat easily... (but I guess I could use hairspray to make it poofy again...) So like... Lovers? Huh.. maybe I'll ask a friend to go with me... ;XD Hum.. I've Looked at Hot topic and their petticoats aren't that great for lolita I think... And also spencer's Petticoats are too short and the one near by sells the neon pink ones... I'd need a white one for the dress i'm getting...

Precious Treasure

12,500 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Generous 100
  • Love Machine 150
-Alice Lunae-

User Image

For white I'd check a -nice- adult store. The ones that are videos as soon as you walk in usually have only floosy clothes and bad petticoats (more like one tiered itchy death traps than a petticoat really) We have one here called Red Door and it's actually very nice, well laid out and almost all lingere with a good bit of peticoats. I understand that sometimes the normal store ones are too short and really worn with dark tights as a skirt. I really do not like those ones because they're itchy and only go with fairy kei. The longest one I have from an adult shop is just a smidge past my knees. If you're looking for a long, like to your ankles almost, then I do not think I've seen one in a normal shop before besides Party City and then I doubt the quality of that one would be any good. The pink one I have from an adult store is almost six years old (yeah I shouldn't have been in the store at the time >w< wink and is still pretty dang poofy.

User Image

Anxious Fairy

I have this goth store near my school. It doesn't sell lolita clothes but a goth lolita could probably get some good accessories there. They sell petticoats. Oh, they do have a lot of shoes too.
Here is the website- Ibso Facto
Be careful though, they have some "adult wear" too.

EDIT: Eh, just took anouther look, they're petticoats look bad online, in store they aren't as bad. I know they sell good quality stuff because my boyfriend's sister does modeling for them.

Fashionable Bloodsucker

3,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Clambake 200
The dance shop is your best bet, as really adult stores sell pettis that are like 5 inches long, for their minis kirts, not really for a lolita dress.

Kawaii Girl

For petticoats I always recommend looking for one at a thrift store. It can be too long, (even floor-length) too big, or not the right shape, but get it. They are so easy to alter because you don't need to worry about making it look nice - it's just underwear. You can even just safety pin a layer up in a lot of cases.

I really don't think an adult store would have a long enough petticoat.
I wear two of Leg Avenue's 8990. They're about $15 each at costume stores. It gives really good poof.
If you have an Rockabilly stores around your area ( i have like 3 o-o) then you could easily alter a crinoline into a petticoat.

Man-Hungry Fairy

For really good petties, GO TO BRIDAL AND PROM DRESS STORES. Trust me! they will find you something that is the right length for your dress! And good quality that isn't itchy or going to flatten, they'll tell you how to take care of your petti too, and all that.

Or you know, go to costume stores during Halloween.

Sparkly Millionaire

9,650 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Vintage and dance stores are the best place to start. I have three vintage petticoats that give amazing poof (I only have three so I can have different color options!) and they cost between $20 and $25 apiece. Dance stores often carry the Malco Modes 582 petticoat, which gives a stellar shape for lolita. If they don't have it in-stock they can usually special-order it for you and it usually runs about $40 and comes in a TON of sizes and colors.

Fashionable Smoker

7,575 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Window Shopper 100
wonderfinch
Vintage and dance stores are the best place to start. I have three vintage petticoats that give amazing poof (I only have three so I can have different color options!) and they cost between $20 and $25 apiece. Dance stores often carry the Malco Modes 582 petticoat, which gives a stellar shape for lolita. If they don't have it in-stock they can usually special-order it for you and it usually runs about $40 and comes in a TON of sizes and colors.

Okay.. I'll try the vintage stores near by ' u'
Does the Malco Mode give a bell/cupcake shape?
I looked it up.. but it's my first time buying a petticoat so I'm not completely confident in understanding the shape of petticoats...

Sparkly Millionaire

9,650 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
-Alice Lunae-

I looked it up.. but it's my first time buying a petticoat so I'm not completely confident in understanding the shape of petticoats...

That PARTICULAR Malco Modes petti will give you the correct bell shape, it's one of the most popular pettis for lolitas. They have a lot of other square-dancing ones that do give a weird shape, so if you opt to go that route be sure to ask for model number 582 c:

Fashionable Smoker

7,575 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Window Shopper 100
wonderfinch
-Alice Lunae-

That PARTICULAR Malco Modes petti will give you the correct bell shape, it's one of the most popular pettis for lolitas. They have a lot of other square-dancing ones that do give a weird shape, so if you opt to go that route be sure to ask for model number 582 c:

Okay. :3 thank you so much...! emotion_bigheart I think I'll email them about it since dance shop is miles closer than the nearest vintage shop...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff