Welcome to Gaia! ::

I've ordered my first dress from Baby and I couldn't be more excited!
User Image
and
User Image
I ordered both in navy and believe I was lucky enough to have snagged the very last one of the JSK

But now, I'm fairly new to the whole lolita scene so I thought I might ask a few of the more experienced lolita's opinions. I'm wondering how to coord and outfit around the dress

I was thinking maybe a fairly simple white blouse from bodyline, as long as it's made form decent materials or maybe a light bolero for the evenings if I go out. And I was also thinking red, tea party shoes with white, lace topped bobby socks? Since it's late June and it's been in the upper 90's for the last two weeks it's too hot for tights or long socks, sadly.

I was thinking maybe these shoes in red/white or red/red
though, I am slightly concerned that the red of the shoes might be too bright for the red on the dress.
User Image
and this cute little bolero, maybe in white.
User Image
both are from bodyline

if you have any suggestions please, please let me know~ I'd love to hear your opinions on how you'd dress this up!
This isn't going to be a hell of a lot of help since I'm overtired and can't be bothered thinking straight, my only advice is that those shoes in red are far too bright to match the dress, I think the only way you could really get around it is by incorporating accessories in the same shade of red in to balance the co-ord, otherwise it'll just look lazy and un-put together.
Killing is Kawaii
This isn't going to be a hell of a lot of help since I'm overtired and can't be bothered thinking straight, my only advice is that those shoes in red are far too bright to match the dress, I think the only way you could really get around it is by incorporating accessories in the same shade of red in to balance the co-ord, otherwise it'll just look lazy and un-put together.

Oh, alright thank you. yeah, I was very much afraid the shade of red was much too bright for the red on the dress. I'll keep looking around for some equally as cute and pretty shoes in a deeper tone, I definitely don't want it to look sloppy. Thank you dear.

Fluffy Sweetheart

Honestly like I told you before, you should wait and get your dress/headbow in your hands before you order anything.
Much easier to see what will/won't match with the colors. Stock photos may not be as bright/dark as the dress itself.
jellybunnies

Honestly like I told you before, you should wait and get your dress/headbow in your hands before you order anything.
Much easier to see what will/won't match with the colors. Stock photos may not be as bright/dark as the dress itself.

Yeah, I'm not going to buy anything likely for another month, I'm just looking right now and getting other people's opinions ^ ^;
it came in today but alas, our doorbell doesn't work so we missed it, it'll be delivered monday or I'll have to pick it up, problem is it just says the Manchester Post office and we have 2 on that street
; A ;

Kawaii Girl

I don't know if this is your first Lolita outfit altogether or just your first brand outfit, but if it's your first brand outfit I say it would be good to get the offwhite shoes. Not just because the red ones are too bright and I'm ignoring any other possible options, but because if you get dark red shoes to match your dress, what else are those going to match? Are you going to limit yourself to a dress with dark red for your next outfit, or are you going to buy a whole other pair of shoes just for two outfits? Offwhite won't be the perfect balance, but it will match, and it will probably match your next few outfits as well. You can always worry about finding a pair of dark red shoes when you have a larger wardrobe, especially considering Lolita shoes wear out faster than Lolita dresses.

And if you're determined to have dark red shoes, but can't find any you love, make them the right color. When I first started Lolita, painting Lolita shoes to be the color you wanted was not uncommon. You just find flower (spray) paint in the color you want, fill the shoes with newspaper, cover buckles and any other uncolored details in masking tape, then spray them down. Make sure you're spraying at the proper distance to avoid the formation of drips, and wait for it to dry before deciding if you need another coat. This can also be helpful for covering especially stubborn scuffs.
Princess JessieKate
I don't know if this is your first Lolita outfit altogether or just your first brand outfit, but if it's your first brand outfit I say it would be good to get the offwhite shoes. Not just because the red ones are too bright and I'm ignoring any other possible options, but because if you get dark red shoes to match your dress, what else are those going to match? Are you going to limit yourself to a dress with dark red for your next outfit, or are you going to buy a whole other pair of shoes just for two outfits? Offwhite won't be the perfect balance, but it will match, and it will probably match your next few outfits as well. You can always worry about finding a pair of dark red shoes when you have a larger wardrobe, especially considering Lolita shoes wear out faster than Lolita dresses.

And if you're determined to have dark red shoes, but can't find any you love, make them the right color. When I first started Lolita, painting Lolita shoes to be the color you wanted was not uncommon. You just find flower (spray) paint in the color you want, fill the shoes with newspaper, cover buckles and any other uncolored details in masking tape, then spray them down. Make sure you're spraying at the proper distance to avoid the formation of drips, and wait for it to dry before deciding if you need another coat. This can also be helpful for covering especially stubborn scuffs.

Hey, thanks for answering!

Yeah, it's not my first lolita dress, it is my first brand dress, but I also haven't worn lolita for quite a while, so I'm kind of getting back into it slowly. I do really like the idea of off white shoes, it could be very cute and like you said, yeah it would be more versatile in the long run with more co-ords once I get a few more pieces under my belt. Thank you very much.

Kawaii Girl

Cosmique Latte
Princess JessieKate

Hey, thanks for answering!

Yeah, it's not my first lolita dress, it is my first brand dress, but I also haven't worn lolita for quite a while, so I'm kind of getting back into it slowly. I do really like the idea of off white shoes, it could be very cute and like you said, yeah it would be more versatile in the long run with more co-ords once I get a few more pieces under my belt. Thank you very much.
Well congratulations on your first brand dress, and I'm glad I could help! <3

Questionable Conversationalist

Going off of what princess jessiekate said about making shoes the right color, just get Meltonian (sp?) Nu Life shoe dye spray. It works on real AND fake leather and rubber and vinyl and doesn't crease and it's super super easy to use and comes in a butt load of colors! I used one $8 can to paint two knee high boots a bright blue and they are perfect and don't rub off or anything. You can get it off amazon as well, I can grab links later bc I'm on my phone but my gosh you almost never need to worry about wrong color shoes again.

Kawaii Girl

Milady Alluca
Going off of what princess jessiekate said about making shoes the right color, just get Meltonian (sp?) Nu Life shoe dye spray. It works on real AND fake leather and rubber and vinyl and doesn't crease and it's super super easy to use and comes in a butt load of colors! I used one $8 can to paint two knee high boots a bright blue and they are perfect and don't rub off or anything. You can get it off amazon as well, I can grab links later bc I'm on my phone but my gosh you almost never need to worry about wrong color shoes again.
This sounds good!

Lover

it's gorgeous! so happy for you <3 and i love the red/white shoes and the bolero with that dress :)
casnip
it's gorgeous! so happy for you <3 and i love the red/white shoes and the bolero with that dress :)

Aw yay and thank you very much! for now I've just ordered a fairly simple short sleeved white blouse so I have something to wear under it next month I plan on ordering the bolero and saving it for when the weather gets a bit cooler, I fear wearing ti now I may end up with a heatstroke. cat_cry
Milady Alluca

Oh, I'm definitely going to have to look into that some time, that just sounds like a lot of fun anyway! I've tried painting shoes with acrylic for cosplays in the past and it just never went well so I'll definitely have to look into this, thanks so much!

Questionable Conversationalist

Cosmique Latte
Milady Alluca

Oh, I'm definitely going to have to look into that some time, that just sounds like a lot of fun anyway! I've tried painting shoes with acrylic for cosplays in the past and it just never went well so I'll definitely have to look into this, thanks so much!
Well giirrrrl lemme link you a thing to make allllll that cosplay shoe and soon lolita shoe color trouble go away :'D

Main Site Meltonian.com
Meltonian Color Chart
Amazon link to their small spray cans~ (I bought two and only needed one to paint BOTH these boots to Sapphire Blue from Black in one afternoon with just like two coats of spray)
User Image

My friend and I have both used three different colors (Sapphire, Green, Camel) and they all came out perfect. It's recommended to use the Color Preparer first and we both used it for the cleaning aspect but it's basically rubbing alcohol for the most part. Also I don't think this product will work well on enamel shoes so if you get base shoes from Bodyline don't get the enamel kind just to be safe D':

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff