Welcome to Gaia! ::

Adored Darling

I have a series of questions about lolita's being involved in other fashions, simply because I am one myself. Feel free to answer all of my questions or only select one or two to talk about. I am simply looking to prompt conversation about this since you so rarely see people saying they are lolita and into other fashions. Usually it's "I'm into J-Fashion and I occasionally wear a lolita-esque coord."

Do you wear other alternative fashions? (ranging from gyaru, pastel goth, punk, goth, visual kei, creepy cute, dolly-kei, mori girl, cult-party kei, really anything seen outside of "the norm" )

How long have you been into other styles?

Do you find lolita styles are the main part of your wardrobe, or are they just an accent piece to another part of your life? (Meaning are you a lolita who wears other styles on occasion, or a person who wears [insert fashion here] and occasionally lolita?)

Do people take you less seriously in your comm/tumblr comm/facebook comm/where ever BECAUSE you wear other styles?

Does lolita ever conflict with other styles you love?

Do you find it difficult to budget lolita with other styles? (Lolita Brand VS Gyaru Brand, etc.)

Do you find it difficult for someone to be a "lifestyle" lolita if she/he is into other styles?

Adored Darling

I figured I'd answer first.

Do you wear other alternative fashions?
I wear multiple styles because I simply do not wake up every day and feel like being a sweet lolita with glitter and rainbows. Yet I have never personally been into Gothic or Classic styles as far as lolita goes.

Therefore I figure my breakdown is something like this:
60% GYARU (Hime Gyaru in it's true over the top form. Then comes Hime Kaji. Next is Agejo or Rokku depending on my mood that day.)
20% Lolita. (Mainly because I am still building up my wardrobe as far as brand goes. Plus the lolita comm in my area is less active than my gyarusa. Sweet Lolita, not always OTT though.)
10% Creepy Cute / Pastel Goth (Because I like mixing the cute with the macabre. c; )
10% Normal Wear (Includes jeans, tee shirts, business wear, and even street-style hip hope vibes. Luckily I am doing a lot of work from home so I have more time to wear my cuddly pink DreamV pjs.)

I used to be REALLY INTO Fairy-Kei but I have been wearing less and less of it since the tail end of 2012.

Gyaru I didn't get into beyond just reading online since 2008, when I started a magazine subscription to Koakuma Ageha.
I knew about lolita for a long time, mainly because you simply HAD TO if you found out about gyaru, haha. I never began to fuel money into it until about two years ago.

Do you find lolita styles are the main part of your wardrobe, or are they just an accent piece to another part of your life?
I'd say I am a lifestyle gyaru, true to the ideology behind "get wild and be sexy," which in short has deeper meaning about a women's sexual revolution to wear what she wants because she likes it, and she won't bat an eyelash towards you because she isn't dressing for you, she is dressing for herself. Therefore lolita is often on the back-burner of my life. I have been purchasing more pieces as of late because I think I came up with every combination I possibly could have come up with and therefore I needed new pieces.

Do people take you less seriously in your comm/tumblr comm/facebook comm/where ever BECAUSE you wear other styles?
I would say it greatly depends who is talking about me. . .not that I am a super star or anything. I think most lolitas will agree that as long as you dress in lolita (note, not ita) no matter how infrequently, but you are in a constant state of enjoying, studying, and respecting the culture that has evolved around the fashion you can be taken seriously. However I think with the creation of tumblr (since LJ has greatly quieted down from what it used to be), where people can be more anonymous, that a lot of girls find it easier to attack people for no apparent reason. So while I think people take me seriously, there will always be one or two people who want to attack anyone and quite possibly everyone, even if they are a "by the book" lifestyle lolita.

In two regards: money and style. Firstly, for the price of one OP in Lolita I can EASILY get two or three Gyaru brand dresses. So I tend to opt to buy Gyaru pieces simply because I can always buy more pieces for the same price. Secondly, some friends do find it strange how I can wake up one day and dress like a creepy cute snap from fruits and the next I am a princessy sweet lolita. Yet I have this problem for most of my styles, so I think more and more people that know me are becoming used to my habits. To strangers because my styles vary I think they are more likely to think how I dress is "just a costume."

Do you find it difficult to budget lolita with other styles?
As stated above, I tend to go for Gyaru because I can buy more pieces. (During a huge sale I got 7 Liz Lisa dresses for a little over $500 USD before shipping.) But because I am making more money than what I used to I am able to spend the same on gal, plus a little extra towards lolita.

Kawaii Girl

Lots of Lolita also like to wear other styles, but for me, it's either Lolita or I-am-forced-to-wear-normal-clothes-for-today-and-I-am-not-going-to-try-very-hard-at-it. I kind of have two separate wardrobes, Lolita for when I can wear what I want, and worn-out clothes I probably should have thrown out by now for when I can't. My mom has decided my Christmas present this year is going to be a normal-clothes-shopping-spree. So I'll try to find some "normal" clothes that can work for Lolita. : I'll need some normal clothes if I get accepted to graduate school anyways, so I can't complain. I'm sure some people take me less seriously because of this, but I just don't care. I don't have time to worry about people who are that shallow-minded, honestly.

Adored Darling

Blouses, blouses, blouses. They are a great cross over piece because they look nice in the business world, but a chiffon fabric can also be appropriate in lolita, especially in the winter when most people have enough layers on so that only a small portion of the blouse is exposed. (Oregon has freezing winters. So thermals, a blouse, a cardigan, and a thick wool jacket are the norm.) Depending on where your job takes you, anything else can be tough to cross over. :c

Kawaii Bunny

The only alternative fashion I wear is lolita. I do occasionally wear jeans and tshirts, but mostly lolita. (this is mostly referring to when I'm not at work, but even when I'm working I tend to wear toned down lolita without a petticoat)

I find that lolita clothes are the main part of my wardrobe. If I did wear other fashions, it wouldn't make people in my comm take me less seriously, I don't think there is anyone in my comm who wears nothing but lolita.

Tiny Bunny

6,950 Points
  • Prepared for Liftoff 50
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Lapin Patrol Avior: Victory! 50
Do you wear other alternative fashions? (ranging from gyaru, pastel goth, punk, goth, visual kei, creepy cute, dolly-kei, mori girl, cult-party kei, really anything seen outside of "the norm" )

I wear roma-gyaru or generally cute aomoji-kei aside from lolita.

About 3 years possibly, maybe less. Definitely less than I have been in lolita.

Do you find lolita styles are the main part of your wardrobe, or are they just an accent piece to another part of your life? (Meaning are you a lolita who wears other styles on occasion, or a person who wears [insert fashion here] and occasionally lolita?)

Both my lolita and other wardrobes are extensive, so I'd have to say it's half and half. Depends if I feel like wearing a petticoat that day or not.

No way, I think that's pretty silly honestly. The majority of lolitas I know wear more than one style, and it's such a commonplace thing nobody bats an eyelash.

My taste can be a little all over the place and lolita does not necessarily work with some of the more bold looks I've worn in the past, but it's never been an issue. I wear other romantic/cute styles that I am able to use my lolita closet for as well though. I enjoy the diversity.

Do you find it difficult to budget lolita with other styles? (Lolita Brand VS Gyaru Brand, etc.)

Hmmm, a tiny bit maybe! It's just down to priorities. It depends what I'm in the mood to buy at the moment. For example, the past few months I've been pretty headstrong about getting good blouses for lolita as I had been lacking, and just recently I've been trying to flesh out my comfortable clothing selection with Liz Lisa. Unless a must-have print comes along to ruin my plans I usually have a clear idea of which fashion I'd like to put money into.

And idk if it will be helpful, but I have a blog and wrote a bit on the topic of budgeting different styles.

Do you find it difficult for someone to be a "lifestyle" lolita if she/he is into other styles?

I don't think so. I consider myself a lifestyle lolita due to my interests but I do enjoy wearing other clothing from time to time. I think it comes down to someone's definition of it. I think of it as having interests and a romantic outlook that fit the aesthetic of the clothing, while I've seen others define it as wearing lolita most of the time.
Hmmmm. I love corsets and I do waist training. I just got a beautiful new custom corset. It actually goes really well with lolita. smile

Obsessive Admirer

12,500 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Object of Affection 150
Not really. If I'm not wearing Lolita, I'm probably gonna be in a t-shirt and jeans.

I do like how fairy-kei and decora look though.

Space Friend

Do you wear other alternative fashions? Yep, I sure do! I think I'll do a percentage mabobber too ahah

40% kfashion
20% fairy kei
20% dolly kei
15% average crap
5% lolita
In fact, I don't even wear much lolita at all! I don't have much money for it atm, though I've been interested in it for years.

How long have you been into other styles? I think lolita was the first alternative fashion I got into, despite not owning much of it today. I guess I later branched from my love of sweet lolita into fairy kei, and so on.

Do you find lolita styles are the main part of your wardrobe, or are they just an accent piece to another part of your life? I definitely wear more of other fashions than lolita. I just can't afford it. If I could, I'd up that 5% to a 70%, though.

Do people take you less seriously in your comm/tumblr comm/facebook comm/where ever BECAUSE you wear other styles? In my local community I stay in touch with on facebook, for sure. A lot of them are pretty hardcore ahah. On tumblr though, no. People on there tend to wear a lot of different things, I guess.

Does lolita ever conflict with other styles you love? Besides the average clothing I wear, dolly kei isn't too friendly with lolita at times. I think some lolitas tend to look down on dolls for being too "simple", or something.

Do you find it difficult to budget lolita with other styles? Ahah, for sure. I currently only have one lolita coord, and it's a buttload of bodyline, if that says anything.

Do you find it difficult for someone to be a "lifestyle" lolita if she/he is into other styles? It probably would be. You could wear other styles, of course, but it might be hard in the community.

Demonic Felis catus

12,625 Points
  • Divorced 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
--Pastel goth is the only one I really wear besides lolita

How long have you been into other styles? --About 4 years

Do you find lolita styles are the main part of your wardrobe, or are they just an accent piece to another part of your life? (Meaning are you a lolita who wears other styles on occasion, or a person who wears [insert fashion here] and occasionally lolita?) --I dress normally and casually most of the time because I'm really self concious, but when I go out for occasions and meet ups I wear lolita.

Luminosus's Wife

Sparkly Cutie-Pie

15,350 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
Do you wear other alternative fashions? Western goth & punk, a little bit of fairy kei and mori girl.

How long have you been into other styles? I've done the western goth thing for eons, longer than lolita, and sometimes I dabble into a military punk thing. The fairy kei and mori girl grew out of my lolita fashion recently, in an attempt to stretch my wardrobe a bit farther.

Do you find lolita styles are the main part of your wardrobe, or are they just an accent piece to another part of your life? Lolita is probably more of an accent piece to my regular wardrobe. I actually started to collect pieces specifically to 'blend' my wardrobe a bit: it used to be black/military-style button down, jeans & boots, OR full-on romantic goth with the long skirts and corsets and such. I felt like lolita could give me some girly looks that didn't look like I got lost on my way to the Renn Faire, haha!

Do people take you less seriously in your comm/tumblr comm/facebook comm/where ever BECAUSE you wear other styles? I never really got into a goth scene/community, so not a problem.

Not really, though my lolita wardrobe seems to have eaten all my romantic goth tops!

Do you find it difficult to budget lolita with other styles? Lolita is probably the only style I spend serious money on. 90% of my goth/punk wardrobe came from the thrift store, raiding my mom's closet, or clearance racks.

Do you find it difficult for someone to be a "lifestyle" lolita if she/he is into other styles? Nope, not at all. Though I personally find the lolita "lifestyle" a bit silly? Its like a goth trying to live a properly gothic "lifestyle". Just do what you like, don't worry about what label it fits in!
I've been wanting to put together a few fairy kei coordinates. I could probably do so easily right now, I just need a cute pastel tutu or something. But I'd honestly feel silly wearing it anywhere but a convention. Lolita seems to be my go-to when I want to dress up for myself. Otherwise it's Work Uniform-kei or Lazy-kei.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff