Welcome to Gaia! ::

Beloved Capitalist

7,250 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Cart Raider 100
User Image
I am actually doing a cosplay of Sebastian from Black Butler... though I have no Ciel -pouts- Maybe I will find one. heart ~

But yes I adore BoyStyle oh so much!~ ♫

Profitable Businessman

Lucifiric Acid
User Image
I am actually doing a cosplay of Sebastian from Black Butler... though I have no Ciel -pouts- Maybe I will find one. heart ~

That would be cosplay and not lolita...?

Beloved Capitalist

7,250 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Cart Raider 100
Almond Milks
Lucifiric Acid
User Image

User Image
I never said it was Lolita. But I saw someone else mention Black Butler. x3

Profitable Businessman

Lucifiric Acid
Almond Milks
Lucifiric Acid
User Image

User Image

Sure, but I don't really get why people keep mentioning cosplay when talking about lolita if they know it isn't the same thing. If it comes up in conversation, sure, but most of the mentions seem a bit random and unrelated.

Beloved Capitalist

7,250 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Cart Raider 100
Almond Milks
Lucifiric Acid
Almond Milks
Lucifiric Acid
User Image

User Image

Sure, but I don't really get why people keep mentioning cosplay when talking about lolita if they know it isn't the same thing. If it comes up in conversation, sure, but most of the mentions seem a bit random and unrelated.

User Image
As I said, I mentioned it because I saw someone else say something about it. I don't know why the need of this. ^_^ Sides I said I liked boystyle/Boilita whatever you wish to call it. :3

Exhibitionist

theamazingwrabbit
oh man ;o;
Im having trouble finding things to start with
how does one even begin to put a loli coordinate together?!

Someone should help me or point in the right direction or something

Though i gotta say i really love the look of the puffy shorts and socks... so cool!!

LOL
I understand the apprehension. It's a very involved style.
First, you be sure to do some research. Tumblr, blogspots, so on and so forth. Don't just Google Image "kodona" or "boystyle." Try looking around; there are dozens of different styles within the ouji. You can do playful, or fairy tale, or serious. There's elegant gothic, there's Wonderland-style. Not to say you have to stick to one of these! You can wear an all-black ensemble a la EGA (elegant gothic aristocrat) one day and steampunk-inspired the next.

Now, to start, well...honestly, you can't just do it in a day unless you are very rich, because it takes time to browse the LiveJournal comms or to find good deals on items or to thrift or make them. You can always buy one outfit or two from brands or off-brands, including Bodyline or Taobao (does Taobao do ouji, anybody?) and then mix and match those items when you want to wear them so they're not the same every time as you collect other pieces. Some people take a couple of months and save up money to splurge.

Simply because there are so many questions of this type on Lolita-Tips, I would recommend going to their FAQ page first and then what other questions you have can be asked there, either on anonymous if you have no Tumblr, or if you do have one, you can attach your blog to the question. Here is their blog..

Don't worry that the blog is centered mostly around females. That's only because the majority of Lolitas are female; the owner of the blog is extremely knowledgeable about all styles and very, very friendly and willing to help. Plus, the large following of the blog results in a lot of people who can chime in at times.

EDIT: Looked again at Lolita-Tips and the owner seems to like to redirect Ouji-related questions to Saku, aka Neogrotesk. He's very knowledgeable as well, certainly a star in his field, and his Tumblr blog (Neogrotesk) is open to questions. Here's his Ouji 101 blog on his own site.

Exhibitionist

Almond Milks
Lucifiric Acid
User Image

I agree with you, Almond, but I do think that Black Butler is perhaps the one exception. It's still cosplay, but that's one anime that does have a good look into Lolita fashion (I've heard rumours that the artist is very into Lolita fashion herself)? Kind of like someone mentioning an Ozaki Nana (?) cosplay on a punk Lolita thread. Simply because of the look, it is related, but not the same.

On a similar note, Black Peace Now released some ouji items a couple of years back that were specifically influenced by Kuroshitsuji (Black Butler), specially the character Ciel Phantomhive. They were very nice pieces.

If not for that fact especially, I'd agree. If you want to be a little loose, though, Tobosu Yana's series can sort of fit into the conversation as long as the person is not claiming to be an ouji/dandy/so on and so forth. Know what I mean?

Profitable Businessman

homo ch r o m a t i c - -
Almond Milks
Lucifiric Acid
User Image

I agree with you, Almond, but I do think that Black Butler is perhaps the one exception. It's still cosplay, but that's one anime that does have a good look into Lolita fashion (I've heard rumours that the artist is very into Lolita fashion herself)? Kind of like someone mentioning an Ozaki Nana (?) cosplay on a punk Lolita thread. Simply because of the look, it is related, but not the same.

On a similar note, Black Peace Now released some ouji items a couple of years back that were specifically influenced by Kuroshitsuji (Black Butler), specially the character Ciel Phantomhive. They were very nice pieces.

If not for that fact especially, I'd agree. If you want to be a little loose, though, Tobosu Yana's series can sort of fit into the conversation as long as the person is not claiming to be an ouji/dandy/so on and so forth. Know what I mean?

I actually own a lovely dress (yes the pink dress) from Kuroshitsuji. It's a big exception for me because I rarely do anything "cosplay" unless you count LARP costuming. The conversation I had about two years ago that inspired me to go from admiring lolita to wearing it started with talking about that anime for some reason, and I barely watch anime. So yes, I do agree it probably has a lot of lolita influences. I just really make an effort to distinguish the two, so perhaps I seemed a little snappy or something like that. I don't know.

Questionable Bunny

9,550 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
ze_gobou
theamazingwrabbit
oh man ;o;
Im having trouble finding things to start with
how does one even begin to put a loli coordinate together?!

Someone should help me or point in the right direction or something

Though i gotta say i really love the look of the puffy shorts and socks... so cool!!

Beginner Lolita here, never tried wearing boystyle, so please correct me if I say something wrong.

From what you said earlier, I assume you don't want to wear Lolita dresses because they would automatically get you misgendered. So, what you'll be looking for is the anatomy of a boystyle / Ouji / Kodona outfit.

I found this article that may have what you need.

The only item that's not in the article is a blouse. You can look for blouses in Lolita shops (brand sites, Bodyline, Fanplusfriend...). The simplest of Lolita blouses (those that look more like old-fashioned shirts, with the smallest amount of frills and lace) are the best for Ouji, especially if you don't want to look too feminine.

The first thing you'll want to do before you start buying is the same as for Lolita fashion : take your measurements. This page explains how to do it. You may want to ask a relative of close friend for help with this part (you'll need to be in your underwear).

Once you know what your measurements and price range are, start looking for pieces using the list in the article I linked to. (Don't forget the shirt / blouse). If you can't buy a full outfit right away, I'd say start with the pants (you can wear them with a regular shirt too), the socks or tights (they're usually cheap, you can buy those for women) and a jacket or vest. You can wear regular shoes (formal shoes or Gothic shoes are best), a regular shirt and no headwear if you're starting out.

Make sure the colors of your items match. If your pants are black and your shirt is white (this is the most typical case), the rest of your outfit will probably be all black and white as well. Don't throw brown shoes on a black and white coordinate just because they're the only dressy shoes you have. First make an inventory of the "oujiable" (I just made up that word as an equivalent to "loliable" wink items that you own (shirts, dressy shoes...), and either buy the rest of your outfit in matching colors or buy enough items to start a coord from scratch (if you can afford it). ^^

I'd also say decide on ALL what you're gonna buy before you buy anything. If you buy pants in an unusual color, you may find out that you can't find any item of headwear to match this particular color.

As for where to buy, someone mentioned that the big Lolita brands (Angelic Pretty, Alice and the Pirates...) have boystyle items. If you cannot afford brand, offbrand is also an option. Fanplusfriend.com has a lot of boystyle items and they offer custom sizing. I read somewhere that Bodyline also has boystyle items. And of course, just like for Lolita fashion, there's TaoBao, but that might be a little complicated for you if you're new to Japanese fashion.

Hope this helps ! ^_^

wow thank you so much *u*
Okay, i think i somewhat decided on a start...
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
these pants
this shirt

I need to get some black suspenders, and some black and white socks
and clunky boots? ahh im rather excited
i'll get pictures once i have the ensemble together, how about that? ^ ^

Exhibitionist

theamazingwrabbit

wow thank you so much *u*
Okay, i think i somewhat decided on a start...
these pants
this shirt

I need to get some black suspenders, and some black and white socks
and clunky boots? ahh im rather excited
i'll get pictures once i have the ensemble together, how about that? ^ ^

Ooh, I do like those two put together. Be sure they fit or they'll look wrong, though, especially the shirt, and those pants will bunch in a very unflattering way on a certain area of your front, if you know what I mean...? Anyways, Black suspenders probably won't do well with that shirt in particular unless you're careful with them. It depends on how far down the jabot is sewn. If it's attached all the way down it could be an issue; if it hangs from halfway or higher, they should fit. Don't let the suspenders bunch your shirt up or catch on the jabot.

An important part of the boots are the sole. They'll be good clunky with these items, yes; but remember the sole should be thick. It doesn't have to be a platform, but think at least one inch. That's rather important, as crazy as it sounds.

Don't forget a hat! That really tops off an ouji look. See part 3 of that Ouji 101 article for ideas on that.

Ah yes--pics or it didn't happen! ;3

Handsome Ace

21,200 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Brandisher 100
  • Kuro Gang 250
Boy-style lolita: General term

Ouji lolita: "Prince" style, usually going for a younger/cutsier boy-style look

Dandy/Aristocrat: Like elegant lolita, it's a bit older than ouji style is intended to look

Kodona: ...In Japan, this is actually sort of slang for that time around when puberty hits. Awkward. Not exactly the kind of thing you'd want to name your fashion after.

Profitable Businessman

This thread has made me really want to date a guy who does dandy. It's weird because I'm not typically interested in guys. I just find the whole concept very appealing.

Shy Friend

Sgt_Wingman
Read the manga butler black. That main character Earl Phantomhive is nothing but a boy lolita... Hell just out Earl Phantomhive in Google and see what pops up, alot of cosplay for that guy.

umm do you mean black butler?

Dangerous Hunter

9,150 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
ninetails descendent
Sgt_Wingman
Read the manga butler black. That main character Earl Phantomhive is nothing but a boy lolita... Hell just out Earl Phantomhive in Google and see what pops up, alot of cosplay for that guy.

umm do you mean black butler?

Yeah, I forgot what the english version was called and didn't know if anyone would recognize Kuroshitsuji

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff