Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friendly Fairy

11,500 Points
  • Super Converter 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Millionaire 200
I just want to say that guys who wear Ouji (or girls for that matter) are SUPER HOT and I would date marry one in a heartbeat!!!!

Exhibitionist

DisturbedSmashedPumpkin
One person comes to mind... Mana from Malice MIzer and Moi Dix Mois.

One word: NO.
Mana is a Brolita, although that seems a kind of disrespectful term for someone of his stature. He started the Elegant Gothic Lolita style, was a major leader in Gothic Lolita, and at the forefront of Lolita-inspired music and visual kei. His styles are feminine, though, despite his being male. Frankly, to put it in easy-to-understand but not-quite-there terms, he's a drag queen, like his successor Kaya. He does not wear ouji except for very specific photoshoots or styles.

Kodona, as I like to call it--yes, yes, I do realize this is the "gaijin" term, loves--is a style of Lolita designed after the male fashions of the Victorian times. Think Oscar Wilde; now that man was a dandy.

Angelic Pretty, specifically in their spin-off Alice and the Pirates, does have several kodona pieces. Now, it can be worn by women just as it can by men, but then again, men also wear the female style of Lolita. It's a very open style, to sexualities and genders and so on and so forth, but that's not the point of this. Is this an elegant style? Definitely. Is kodona feminine? Not unless you consider dandy to be feminine. It's vain, yes, and takes a lot of care in one's own appearance, but that's like saying your neighbourhood metrosexual is a crossdresser because he spends an hour gelling his hair every day. (Bad joke is bad.)

Anyways, my favourite brand for boystyle is Atelier BOZ, but it's certainly pricey. Try networking a little. Lolita has a community on LiveJournal that has a lot of people selling their brand for pretty good prices.

For information about the fashion, try:
b-lolita (Tumblr)
lolita-tips

Now, Lolita-Tips is geared towards female Lolitas just because they are the majority, but the owner will answer questions about all styles of Lolita and often other users will chime in with their tips and ideas, too. It's a very friendly place. And, hey, if you want to, you're welcome to ask me any questions, too. My URL is akanoaki (Tumblr blogs go URL.tumblr.com).

Profitable Businessman

homo ch r o m a t i c - -
DisturbedSmashedPumpkin

Mana is a Brolita, although that seems a kind of disrespectful term for someone of his stature. He started the Elegant Gothic Lolita style, was a major leader in Gothic Lolita, and at the forefront of Lolita-inspired music and visual kei. His styles are feminine, though, despite his being male. Frankly, to put it in easy-to-understand but not-quite-there terms, he's a drag queen, like his successor Kaya. He does not wear ouji except for very specific photoshoots or styles.

Kodona, as I like to call it--yes, yes, I do realize this is the "gaijin" term, loves--is a style of Lolita designed after the male fashions of the Victorian times. Think Oscar Wilde; now that man was a dandy.

Angelic Pretty, specifically in their spin-off Alice and the Pirates, does have several kodona pieces. Now, it can be worn by women just as it can by men, but then again, men also wear the female style of Lolita. It's a very open style, to sexualities and genders and so on and so forth, but that's not the point of this. Is this an elegant style? Definitely. Is kodona feminine? Not unless you consider dandy to be feminine. It's vain, yes, and takes a lot of care in one's own appearance, but that's like saying your neighbourhood metrosexual is a crossdresser because he spends an hour gelling his hair every day. (Bad joke is bad.)

Anyways, my favourite brand for boystyle is Atelier BOZ, but it's certainly pricey. Try networking a little. Lolita has a community on LiveJournal that has a lot of people selling their brand for pretty good prices.

b-lolita (Tumblr)
lolita-tips

Now, Lolita-Tips is geared towards female Lolitas just because they are the majority, but the owner will answer questions about all styles of Lolita and often other users will chime in with their tips and ideas, too. It's a very friendly place. And, hey, if you want to, you're welcome to ask me any questions, too. My URL is akanoaki (Tumblr blogs go URL.tumblr.com).

I think you probably know this and just made a typo, but Alice and the Pirates is not an Angelic Pretty spinoff. whee

Exhibitionist

Almond Milks

I think you probably know this and just made a typo, but Alice and the Pirates is not an Angelic Pretty spinoff. whee

PFAHAHA. Omg, thank you, I'm sorry. For some reason when I don't think about it, AatP and AP just...get confused for me. 8| PFFT.

My apologies, OP, it's from Baby, the Stars Shine Bright. But Angelic Pretty does also offer some kodona items.

Profitable Businessman

Almond Milks

PFAHAHA. Omg, thank you, I'm sorry. For some reason when I don't think about it, AatP and AP just...get confused for me. 8| PFFT.

My apologies, OP, it's from Baby, the Stars Shine Bright. But Angelic Pretty does also offer some kodona items.

I didn't even know AP did some things like that. I went and looked it up, very cute. Thanks for sharing.

Exhibitionist

Almond Milks
I didn't even know AP did some things like that. I went and looked it up, very cute. Thanks for sharing.

Definitely. I love AP's boystyle, although it's rather few and far between. Correct me if I'm wrong, though, but I've gotten the impression that they're releasing a little more lately than in the past? Could be mistaken.

Does BSSB have any? I'm afraid I really don't follow that brand except for their Alice line. I only have so much time to check on brands. Sob.

Profitable Businessman

Almond Milks

Definitely. I love AP's boystyle, although it's rather few and far between. Correct me if I'm wrong, though, but I've gotten the impression that they're releasing a little more lately than in the past? Could be mistaken.

Does BSSB have any? I'm afraid I really don't follow that brand except for their Alice line. I only have so much time to check on brands. Sob.

I looked on lolibrary and found a vest from Baby, but not as much as what I found for Angelic Pretty. I actually know very little about boystyle, though it's adorable.

Exhibitionist

Almond Milks

I looked on lolibrary and found a vest from Baby, but not as much as what I found for Angelic Pretty. I actually know very little about boystyle, though it's adorable.

Ohhh? I'm not familiar with that site, Lolibrary, but I'll definitely look it up now. Ahh, yeah, boystyle is sort of the unpopular but ever-loved illegitimate child of Lolita. Pfft. Actually, there are a couple of dandies I really admire... Neogrotesk, he has a Tumblr of the same name and a website; and fine-dandy, which is his Tumblr URL. They're very, very good lifestyle ouji boys.

Witty Lunatic

8,000 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Dressed Up 200
Well I do have this one picture of Ryou Bakura in a sort of lolita style dress that my brother drew but doesn't take credit for it. Then he has quite a few more of him in that, which my brother's avatar on here in it as well. He has also draw Cordis and Loyal from the Cirque du Freak(or whatever it is) in that as well. Plus we tektek and draw stuff like that often, I could ask him if had scanned them and colored them, since I'm not sure because it's not like I stalk his photobucket or anything...XD

Profitable Businessman

Almond Milks

Ohhh? I'm not familiar with that site, Lolibrary, but I'll definitely look it up now. Ahh, yeah, boystyle is sort of the unpopular but ever-loved illegitimate child of Lolita. Pfft. Actually, there are a couple of dandies I really admire... Neogrotesk, he has a Tumblr of the same name and a website; and fine-dandy, which is his Tumblr URL. They're very, very good lifestyle ouji boys.

Neogrotesk totally looks like a friend of mine. That's awesome.
This may be off-topic, but I'm a little confused as to what constitues a lifestyle lolita / ouji. I've been in the fashion for ages and have heard so many different, usually vague, definitions. What's yours?

Exhibitionist

Almond Milks

This may be off-topic, but I'm a little confused as to what constitues a lifestyle lolita / ouji. I've been in the fashion for ages and have heard so many different, usually vague, definitions. What's yours?

Oooh, the age-old question... Now, I obviously don't call this 'fact,' because you're correct, it's a matter of how people see it. For myself, 'lifestyle' in this context refers to someone who puts a lot of time into their style wardrobe. Now, they don't have to wear it every day of the week, especially to work or other inappropriate functions (although there are workplaces where Lolita is acceptable), but it should be a strong part of their lives. The reason I made a point of saying it about these two is that they live with the "spirit," too--if you look through some of Neo's posts, you'll see that his home is decked out in items that suit the clothing style, so it's not just his outfits. They both have outlooks and attitudes that are very "dandy"--flamboyantly vain without being too arrogant, in a very endearing way, and highly intellectual, with progressive opinions--and are very polite without being softspoken. Every aspect of their lives is touched by the theme, not just the clothing. To me, that's what lifestyle is. Some people don't even have to put too much time into the outfits if they fit with the style itself. In essence, the way that they present themselves, with dignity and grace, and their home and interests and...et cetera.

Which is to say nothing bad about anyone who doesn't do that. People who just appreciate wearing the clothing are just as good. They just don't fit "lifestyle," as a woman in black Lolita clothing does not make a "shiro."

Profitable Businessman

Almond Milks

Oooh, the age-old question... Now, I obviously don't call this 'fact,' because you're correct, it's a matter of how people see it. For myself, 'lifestyle' in this context refers to someone who puts a lot of time into their style wardrobe. Now, they don't have to wear it every day of the week, especially to work or other inappropriate functions (although there are workplaces where Lolita is acceptable), but it should be a strong part of their lives. The reason I made a point of saying it about these two is that they live with the "spirit," too--if you look through some of Neo's posts, you'll see that his home is decked out in items that suit the clothing style, so it's not just his outfits. They both have outlooks and attitudes that are very "dandy"--flamboyantly vain without being too arrogant, in a very endearing way, and highly intellectual, with progressive opinions--and are very polite without being softspoken. Every aspect of their lives is touched by the theme, not just the clothing. To me, that's what lifestyle is. Some people don't even have to put too much time into the outfits if they fit with the style itself. In essence, the way that they present themselves, with dignity and grace, and their home and interests and...et cetera.

Which is to say nothing bad about anyone who doesn't do that. People who just appreciate wearing the clothing are just as good. They just don't fit "lifestyle," as a woman in black Lolita clothing does not make a "shiro."

This has to be one of the best explanations I've heard so far. From what you say about the dandy "attitude" it sounds like many of the things I value in a personality. I think I'll work towards being a lifestyle lolita after hearing your explanation. Now I know this is still opinion, but what sort of things do you associate with a lifestyle sweet lolita? I ask because I enjoy sweet the most, but I could see my personality suiting gothic if I was to be a lifestyle lolita. Do you think dressing in other lolita styles from time to time conflicts with the lifestyle?

Exhibitionist

Almond Milks

This has to be one of the best explanations I've heard so far. From what you say about the dandy "attitude" it sounds like many of the things I value in a personality. I think I'll work towards being a lifestyle lolita after hearing your explanation. Now I know this is still opinion, but what sort of things do you associate with a lifestyle sweet lolita? I ask because I enjoy sweet the most, but I could see my personality suiting gothic if I was to be a lifestyle lolita. Do you think dressing in other lolita styles from time to time conflicts with the lifestyle?

Wellllllll...that's a good question, haha! I hope I can explain my thoughts well enough to understand. Basically, I don't think that there really has to be a line drawn between the styles. Of course there will likely be a different personality in someone who's generally EGL, than someone OTT. On the other hand, personal aesthetics don't really have to play a major factor in what style one likes to wear. If you do want to "color code" it, of course one would expect a sweet lolita to be a little more endearing, optimistic, etc. than a gothic lolita. But honestly, a gothic lolita can be just as chipper. Only their aesthetic--the visual queues to which they are most attracted--really matters in their style. Therefore, switching styles just means they have more eclectic taste. For a bad analogy, imagine someone in a hard rock T-shirt with a reggae wristband. Nothing wrong with it at all; that's their taste. I think it's sort of hard on Lolitas to say, "This is your box now. You're sweet. You can't wear black or listen to Moi Dix Mois" (or vice versa--you're EGL, no An Cafe for you!) Et cetera, et cetera.

So what I'm saying is, the "values" of Lolita are essentially the same style-wide, despite your particular clothing niche. These are art and the appreciation of it, be it darker or lighter; the acceptance of vintage-progressive themes in opinion and behaviour, such as dignity without the screen of gender roles, and romance the same; value in appearances, but not to the point of condescension; and, this will sound sappy, basic kindness. I don't mean you have to be a pushover, but a lot of grace can be demonstrated through a smile when faced with insults. Acceptance of others despite their opinions, you know, the willingness to agree to disagree because, frankly, you're never going to find someone with whom you will always agree and often arguments don't sway either person's idea. But that's a rabbit trail, haha.

Basically, tl;dr: Artsy-fartsy, not necessarily in creating art but the appreciation of it; intelligence, and I don't mean a high IQ but the value of intellectual interests; humanitarianism, aka "kindness," and self-confidence. You know, grace, dignity, even if you don't think your hair's perfectly even or you're worried about a little bit of pudge in the middle. You know, trying to be a noteworthy person. Does this even make sense, haha!

Questionable Bunny

9,550 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
oh man ;o;
Im having trouble finding things to start with
how does one even begin to put a loli coordinate together?!

Someone should help me or point in the right direction or something

Though i gotta say i really love the look of the puffy shorts and socks... so cool!!

Friendly Browser

2,800 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200
DisturbedSmashedPumpkin

b-lolita (Tumblr)
lolita-tips

Ah ok. Sorry, I'm not too knowledgeable about Lolita things. I thought he kinda fit the description, but it does seem I was quite off.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff