Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wheezing Prophet

I constantly lose interest in everything I like, and lose interest in my girlfriend in cycles.
i was thinking last night about what i would do if i was blind. i wouldn't have the internet anymore, couldn't play games, look at art or draw, read or watch movies. i would at least still have music but it would be a lot harder to find the kind of music i love. i would have to start recognizing people by their voices or the way they sound when they walk.

Big Member

10,675 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Brandisher 100
As a fervent enjoyer of cigars and spirits, I feel so terribly for you. :(

To answer your questions:
-have you had to give up something that you used to love because of health reasons.... You know, allergies or injury.
My liver started showing signs of damage so I had to lay off booze for a while. Slowly reintroducing booze now.

-What hobbies do you have now that if you had to give them up you would be utterly devestated?
Drinking, smoking, and internet tomfoolery.

Big Member

10,675 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Brandisher 100
melted glass slipper
i was thinking last night about what i would do if i was blind. i wouldn't have the internet anymore, couldn't play games, look at art or draw, read or watch movies. i would at least still have music but it would be a lot harder to find the kind of music i love. i would have to start recognizing people by their voices or the way they sound when they walk.

As far as the internet goes, there are programs that relay text-based content to blind people.

In fact, when you look at the HTML coding for a website, it’s actually laid out to help these programs make content accessible to blind people. Especially newer versions like HTML5. The tags like <nav> and <article> are good for separating page elements for their respective use (like reading to a blind person all the links on a page, or the main content of a page).

Spoopy Kitten

-have you had to give up something that you used to love because of health reasons.... You know, allergies or injury.
I used to love running. I was the fastest kid in all of my PE classes. That is, until my scoliosis started getting bad. The doctors caught it too late, despite my constant complaining of back pain and it looking "curly" as i used to word it. A week after my 15th birthday i had t go in for a 12 level fusion. I have two rods, and ~21 hooks/screws/needles from top to bottom in/on my spine. My surgeon, with a title of "best in the country", hit several nerves which now limit my every day activities. I cant run all without my knees giving out and my back shooting pain through my body. I cant sit, stand/walk, lay for too long without hurting. I have to constantly move position if im sitting or laying down. Along with other issues, im now on disability

-What hobbies do you have now that if you had to give them up you would be utterly devestated?
The only things i cant live without would be spending time with my boyfriend, interneting, and learning, usually via internet. If i couldnt do any of those for medical reasons, id probly go into a depression and melt away
Roy Cura
melted glass slipper

As far as the internet goes, there are programs that relay text-based content to blind people.

In fact, when you look at the HTML coding for a website, it’s actually laid out to help these programs make content accessible to blind people. Especially newer versions like HTML5. The tags like <nav> and <article> are good for separating page elements for their respective use (like reading to a blind person all the links on a page, or the main content of a page).

i used to code websites. i vaguely remember seeing codes like that, but since i learned on my own by inspecting source code i didn't know it helped blind people. kinda cool.

Shirtless Strawberry

14,800 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Pie Scarface 150
  • Partygoer 500
A cruel joke, eh? More like a new way to adapt.

There are few hobbies I had to abandon because of my disability. I was born with a congenital illiness that keeps me in chronic pain 24/7. Sometimes, even the simply daily task I normally do everyday would affect me. I used to do many things before the pain increased: ballet, baseball, piano, and drawing. Oh man, I used to draw all the time. Was one of my favorite hobbies. However, because of increase of pain in my hands (and the usage of medicine decreasing my creativity), that has been put to a stop. I'm slowly trying to get back in but its all baby steps really. Even having trouble playing video games because of my hands. Not a great thing.

All you can do is adapt to the change. Do the best you can with what you have. If you can draw today, do it. If not, then its best to try something else new. I picked up reading as a hobbies to help distract myself. Its frustrating, especially when you have to stop something you loved. I loved baseball when I was younger. But that had to stop after having three back surgeries. I'm hoping video games. Hell, I don't want to lose my artistic skills completely. That's a fear I have.. I think I would go made if my hands became useless for good.

Mega Ladykiller

That really sucks dude D:

I wish I can draw more. After getting into University I literally have no item to draw. I get really sad when I see all those cool artworks >__<

Lonely Capitalist

11,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Silly Annie
Valtiel the Watcher
Silly Annie
aw man
you ok otherwise though right
it could be brain damage yknow I heard that could show up as messin with your smell
I am planning on going to the doctor in a bit to get it checked out. My land lord is actually an acupuncturist so.... I don't know maybe if all else fails.
theres lotta people who would go through somethin like that and come out the other end chewed up and not right no more

hobbies are important man
Im hopin you get it back

theres proably surger you can get for it if all goes badly
It wasn't that bad of a hit so I will probably just need a couple of days in bed. Just a friend of mine went through something similar and lost his sense of smell so that spooked me for a bit. but things are already beginning to smell a bit more like they should.

Lonely Capitalist

11,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Canterellare
A cruel joke, eh? More like a new way to adapt.

There are few hobbies I had to abandon because of my disability. I was born with a congenital illiness that keeps me in chronic pain 24/7. Sometimes, even the simply daily task I normally do everyday would affect me. I used to do many things before the pain increased: ballet, baseball, piano, and drawing. Oh man, I used to draw all the time. Was one of my favorite hobbies. However, because of increase of pain in my hands (and the usage of medicine decreasing my creativity), that has been put to a stop. I'm slowly trying to get back in but its all baby steps really. Even having trouble playing video games because of my hands. Not a great thing.

All you can do is adapt to the change. Do the best you can with what you have. If you can draw today, do it. If not, then its best to try something else new. I picked up reading as a hobbies to help distract myself. Its frustrating, especially when you have to stop something you loved. I loved baseball when I was younger. But that had to stop after having three back surgeries. I'm hoping video games. Hell, I don't want to lose my artistic skills completely. That's a fear I have.. I think I would go made if my hands became useless for good.
well the whole drawing thing. I also do it as my main source of income. I invested a lot of time and money into it. If I lost that it would sort of be like someone putting all of their money into a stock that seemed like a sure thing and then all of a sudden they go bankrupt for a stupid reason and your money is gone. luckily that wasn't affected.

Clean Gekko

3,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Valtiel the Watcher
Silly Annie
Valtiel the Watcher
Silly Annie
aw man
you ok otherwise though right
it could be brain damage yknow I heard that could show up as messin with your smell
I am planning on going to the doctor in a bit to get it checked out. My land lord is actually an acupuncturist so.... I don't know maybe if all else fails.
theres lotta people who would go through somethin like that and come out the other end chewed up and not right no more

hobbies are important man
Im hopin you get it back

theres proably surger you can get for it if all goes badly
It wasn't that bad of a hit so I will probably just need a couple of days in bed. Just a friend of mine went through something similar and lost his sense of smell so that spooked me for a bit. but things are already beginning to smell a bit more like they should.
well thats good
lifes no fun without hobbies

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas