Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tipsy Kitten

I was just reading about the Hobby Lobby lawsuit thing, and depending on the decision of the Supreme Court, women who work for that company could lose access to insurance based contraceptives. All because the company says they don't want to support it, even though they've invested their 401k money in the very companies that produce it (however I'm just reading about this for the first time so I could be wrong)

I'm not a feminist, however I don't think it would be right for companies to deny women rights based on their religious choices. And to say that one company can deny women, that would open up a flood gate for many companies to do so all under "religious freedom."

Would you work for a company like this? Even if it were down to a choice of being unemployed or working for said company.

I personally would not.

Fuzzy Bibliophile

12,400 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
User Image No.

They're free to have their opinions but it shouldn't affect their employees

Tipsy Kitten

Smithnikov
Story was overblown. It was only four forms of birth control that HL didn't cover as part of their healthcare package.

Still, their reasoning for doing so was baffling. Since when does an IUD count as a form of abortion?

I only read two sides of the story so I'm not really sure.

I'm sure they believe all forms of birth control are also for abortion lol

Fashionable Businesswoman

4,100 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Autobiographer 200
It depends on my circumstances. If I really need a good paying job and didnt have many good

options, then yes I would work for hobby lobby. They pay over the minimum wage, Sundays are off

days (along with holidays), and besides the birth control thing they seem like decent employers.

However, my opinion on the Hobby Lobby thing is that the ruling was absolute bullshit. It shows

even more just how much America fails at separating religion from the government.
This wouldn't be an issue if the US made the sensible choice to definitively implement a comprehensive, publicly funded universal healthcare system with all services free at the point of access. As of tomorrow, the UK's NHS will have been excelling for the last 66 years, in fact no UK citizen will have ever had to directly pay for their contraception (or one could argue that everyone has paid for everyone's contraception through general taxation but that's not the point).

Tipsy Kitten

MegaTurkey
This wouldn't be an issue if the US made the sensible choice to definitively implement a comprehensive, publicly funded universal healthcare system with all services free at the point of access.

That would be amazing.
However at this point, with our political system so divided, it would be impossible sad
Toki Bird
MegaTurkey
This wouldn't be an issue if the US made the sensible choice to definitively implement a comprehensive, publicly funded universal healthcare system with all services free at the point of access.

That would be amazing.
However at this point, with our political system so divided, it would be impossible sad

Just had a revelation, edited my above post!

Tipsy Kitten

MegaTurkey
Toki Bird
MegaTurkey

That would be amazing.

I don't understand why people get so upset about their taxes funding someone else's contraception.
Religious or not, I'd be happy to. We're over populated enough as it is!
Toki Bird
MegaTurkey
Toki Bird
MegaTurkey

That would be amazing.

I don't understand why people get so upset about their taxes funding someone else's contraception.

You're funding someone else's care today with the confidence that you and anyone you care about or even just know will be looked after tomorrow, no matter what. So you could even consider it an investment of sorts, if you were really that self-absorbed. I was chatting to a friend on here from the US a couple of days ago about this; the whole concept of people running charity events to pay for a little girl's chemo is so alien to me, let alone having to justify diagnostic tests ordered by a doctor or treatments prescribed to a bureaucrat from an insurance company…or even having to provide ID or fill out forms...it's mad. :/
Moogle Voodoo
User Image No.

They're free to have their opinions but it shouldn't affect their employees
More
They should be free to have their opinions but it shouldn't affect the owner's business decisions
Toki Bird
MegaTurkey
Toki Bird
MegaTurkey

That would be amazing.

Then maybe we should let people who can't afford healthcare die if that's an issue.

Timid Combatant

13,690 Points
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
Kind of goes back to the "corporations as people" thing, right? The people running a company can have opinions. A CEO can have opinions; members of the Board of Directors can have opinions; stockholders can have opinions. A company can't have opinions. It isn't a sapient entity; it's a logistical network intended to direct monies in a given direction. It can't think. It can't have beliefs.

Legally, I can understand that the justices might not have had a choice in their ruling given the requirement that they be faithful to the letter of the law.

The rhetoric is total bullshit, though.

Tipsy Kitten

MegaTurkey
Toki Bird
MegaTurkey
Toki Bird
MegaTurkey

That would be amazing.

You're funding someone else's care today with the confidence that you and anyone you care about or even just know will be looked after tomorrow, no matter what. So you could even consider it an investment of sorts, if you were really that self-absorbed. I was chatting to a friend on here from the US a couple of days ago about this; the whole concept of people running charity events to pay for a little girl's chemo is so alien to me. Really, it's sad.

oh man that just reminds me, all month long of June we did a round up for the Children's Network, where like if you're total came out to 12.82 we would ask if you wanted to round up to 13, and the cents would all be donated to the cause. Our store made like a little bit over 5k, all to help children in the hospital.
Just thinking about what you said made me sad that we even had to do that, to help out sick children.

Conservatism

Then maybe we should let people who can't afford healthcare die if that's an issue.

that's not what I meant.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces