Welcome to Gaia! ::

Which one do you value more?

personality 0.72 72.0% [ 18 ]
being smart 0.28 28.0% [ 7 ]
Total Votes:[ 25 ]
1 2 3 >

No, they can't be average, they have to be smart.

In my opinion they're very few actual smart people out there. Most people I see are average, some are below that, and a few are laughably stupid. When I see people saying "I ONLY DATE SMART PEOPLE" I think they are really limiting themselves. What's wrong with some one average when it comes to being smart.

I think that if they have a good personality and they're average then I'll go for them, they don't have to be a smart genius. What if they're smart and have a crappy personality? Would you still go for them?

Do you ONLY date or wish to date smart people? Why or why not?
Would you date someone average when it comes to being smart? What about below average?
What do you think of people below average? Not air-headed stupid, just below average. Do you look down on them? Why or why not?
Are you smart? Do you see yourself as smart?
Are there very few smart people out there?
If I refused to date anyone dumber than me, I'd still be a virgin.

Sparkly Smoker

I respect hard work and resourcefulness. I've met many a smart man who was lazy and complacent, and I have no time for that bs.

Fashionable Shopper

I like dating men who are smarter than me. I'm not very smart though so there's that. I didn't exactly set out for that though. I just started hanging out with a bunch of nerds then I started hanging out with one frequently. 10 years later we're planning on getting married.

How I became friends with one of my best friends is kind of funny though. It was my first semester of college and my lunch break. I ordered chicken tenders and couldn't eat them all. I looked for the fattest dude in the room and asked him if he wanted them- and he did. Lol, now we tease each other like brother and sister. My fiance calls us Bart and Lisa haha. He'll literally pretend to poke me and go "I'm not touching you" and I'll be like "don't touch me!". rofl
As a man, I have a lot of patience with female partners who aren't as smart as me, to a point. Too dumb and even I can't tolerate it.

For male partners I have a much lower tolerance, and expect them to be at least on the same level as myself.
I only want to date people who are thoughtful, who enjoy learning, who are interested in having what might be called "intelligent conversation". They don't have to have an above-average IQ for that.

Would you date someone average when it comes to being smart? What about below average?
Average certainly. Below average, maybe. I'd say yes if they meet the above qualifications re: interests, conversation, etc. and are confident in themselves and the value of their thoughts even if they don't think they're as smart as other people.

I guess what I respect is not so much intelligence as it is, but the drive to learn, develop, become smarter. So I would consider someone of any intelligence level who is striving for their own growth. I would not consider a) people who don't care b) people who just want to be self-superior assholes because they think they're "above the sheeple" or whatever stupid thing they learned to say on reddit.

What do you think of people below average? Not air-headed stupid, just below average. Do you look down on them? Why or why not?
I don't look down on people for being or seeming less smart, but I do look down on men who become uncomfortable when they percieve a girl as being smarter than them (whether it's true or not) or going over their heads in conversation. And then they're like "lol why are you so serious let's talk about lighter things so I can feel cool again I don't like to challenge myself and I don't like to be intimidated by women I suck." That, I look down on. A lot.

Yes... I think I'm smart. Far above average? Maybe not. Idk. I've been really well educated so I think most of it is just that advantage. I think probably I would have been average without it.

I don't think so. I meet a lot of people I consider smart, but I also hang out with a lot of nerdy academic types... Most people are average but an average person can, imo, develop themselves to become above average (although of course resources are a factor there).
Times Of War
As a man, I have a lot of patience with female partners who aren't as smart as me, to a point. Too dumb and even I can't tolerate it.

For male partners I have a much lower tolerance, and expect them to be at least on the same level as myself.

You seem so familiar... are you Space Janitor?

Tipsy Prophet

No, I would not only date smart people.

If they like them, sure.

It depends on how it shows. I don't think I've actually met many people below average.

No and no.

Fewer than average people, probably.

Kawaii Autobiographer

4,600 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Foxydoe

I don't know why but this made me laugh more than it should have, and I think I might have to feel bad about laughing later.

@OP: Dumb is a turn off.
Toxilicks
Foxydoe

I don't know why but this made me laugh more than it should have, and I think I might have to feel bad about laughing later.

@OP: Dumb is a turn off.

blaugh
i wouldn't date anyone dumber than me because, as others have said, it's a turn-off.

i would date someone average. not below average.

no, i don't look down on them, i just generally like smarter people more (i like to have intelligent conversations with people) and i want my kids to be smart.

yes, i think so. i think anyone who gets into university/successfully completes their undergrad is smart, generally. at the very least, those people are ambitious and enjoy learning.

nope, just head to a uni campus.
Foxydoe
Times Of War

You seem so familiar... are you Space Janitor?

Don't even know who that is.

Clean Gekko

3,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Dont think a smart person would have me

Kawaii Sentai

I would say that smart and personality very much go hand in hand. Though there are variations of smart.

I think I personally need a bit of both. Someone smart and sweet.
well i'm pretty sure no one knows everything. i find that men that are considered intelligent tend not to be as comforting or friendly (not to mention a lot more annoying) as someone that is wise. i would rather have someone that is wise and able to relate to me emotionally than someone that can solve complex math equations.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff