Welcome to Gaia! ::

Stepford: A lifestyle?

User Image

This is just a little idea I began to wonder about as I was watching The Stepford Wives (again).

If the Stepford ideals or living were still around, would you follow them? Would you like them? Not the creepy "turning the women into robots" bit, but more the 50's idea of "stay at home mom", "house wife" all that jazz.

And DO you like those ideals anyways? Would you love to be a stay at home wife and/or mom?
How to be a Stepford Wife

User Image

All the highlighted bits are the parts that are still relevant in this day and age.

User Image
Good Quotes

User Image

Ciel Avec Cafeine
And what if there are two "husbands"? =D

Sophie Darling
I like the idea, only without the extremeness of the woman pleasing the man to the point where she cant express her feelings. I believe a woman and a man are NEVER going to be equal and shouldn't be.
A man is there to protect and provide for his wife. The woman is there for guidance and support. Its a team effort and I like the idea of a woman staying at home taking care of the house hold and her children. While the husband is out making a living for his family. Women have the strength and smarts to run a whole family. While a man has the independence and backbone to survive the workplace.

Of course i'm all for a woman being on her own making a living for herself but once marriage comes around i think its the mans responsibility to take care of her.

Britomartis-the-Valiant
I don't know if this is of any help, but serving someone else does not make you any less than a person. I think it takes humility and generousness--someone who is selfish or proud would probably refuse to be a housewife.

fubenkunai
It freaks me out when it goes to the length of a woman making herself into less than a person, because I don't think that's healthy for anyone. It'd drive me nuts to do personally, because I get bored really easily and start fraying at the edges if I don't have a challenge or diversion to keep my mind busy. That said, I won't diss anyone who chooses to do it, and I won't deny it's a career in its own right. Knowing how to run a house, top to bottom, and manage people is harder than you'd think, especially when you're trying to raise and play referee to kids. If you can do that, my hat's off to you, and I may stop by to nick cookies from the kitchen. ninja

That said, I also say everyone should learn at least a few of the housewifely arts, because dang, any adult should be able to keep their own house. Cooking, cleaning, basic food handling/storage, doing laundry, and doing nice things for other people (even if it's only some things, and only now and then) are just good things to know. I mean, you can't go around with unwashed clothes forever, and you wouldn't want to live off fast food or takeout. A lot of guys don't bother to think about it and a lot of girls will knee-jerk reject it as being "repressed," but who are they gonna call when they burn dinner or have a floor covered in maple syrup? Yeeeah. I don't totally rock the domestic sphere-- I can't sew a button on a shirt, among other things-- but I can keep my apartment livable and myself fed, so I'm cool with that.

Open! heart

a nicolass's Bestie

it's weird, because i like and dislike it at the same time.
Analyzes
Why do you like it? Why do you dislike it?

a nicolass's Bestie

The Stepford Wife
Analyzes

i like the idea about having a steady, safe life. it's simple.
i don't like how the woman's purpose basically is to make her husband constantly happy and get nothing from him in return.

also, you seem a bit like a 50s Housewife rip off.
Stepford Wives is a good movie, and the idea itself is interesting, but if the whole 50s housewife thing ever came back, I'd probably get a sex change, just to be safe.

Why?

Because obsessive neatness is a waste of time in my opinion.

And, oh yeah, that whole equality thing is nice, too. rolleyes

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

I wouldn't want to be a stay-at-home spouse. When my boyfriend and I first moved here, it was for a teaching job that he'd got. I didn't have a job at that point, and neither of us knew anyone. So for the first few weeks, I just stayed home, kept house and cooked. I don't mind cleaning, and I don't mind cooking. It was just boring and depressing to do that all the time, and I felt really isolated.

Plus, I want to be his equal, not his servant. confused
Analyzes
The Stepford Wife
Analyzes

i like the idea about having a steady, safe life. it's simple.
i don't like how the woman's purpose basically is to make her husband constantly happy and get nothing from him in return.
When me and my current BF get married we're both going to start off with jobs, but when (and if) we decide to have children, I'm going to quit my job and be a stay at home mom until the child is in kindergarten. In theory, the return the wife gets is love and devotion. That's what I'm getting anyways.
Icarus Rex
Stepford Wives is a good movie, and the idea itself is interesting, but if the whole 50s housewife thing ever came back, I'd probably get a sex change, just to be safe.

Why?

Because obsessive neatness is a waste of time in my opinion.

And, oh yeah, that whole equality thing is nice, too. rolleyes
It's possible to be equal and a housewife as well.

Me and my BF are both neat freaks, and I can't stand to have people come over and see a cluttered house.
Ciel Avec Cafeine
I wouldn't want to be a stay-at-home spouse. When my boyfriend and I first moved here, it was for a teaching job that he'd got. I didn't have a job at that point, and neither of us knew anyone. So for the first few weeks, I just stayed home, kept house and cooked. I don't mind cleaning, and I don't mind cooking. It was just boring and depressing to do that all the time, and I felt really isolated.

Plus, I want to be his equal, not his servant. confused
I suppose it could be boring after a while. My granny was a stay-at-home wife with children and to pass the time between cleaning she became a seamstress for the public. She made clothes for people that had trouble finding clothing to fit them in stores, since she herself was so small and hard to fit (she's just an inch shy of being 5 foot tall, and at the time of they're marriage my Papa could put his hand in a circle--thumb to thumb and pointer finger to pointer finger--around her waist).
I also like the idea of staying home with my future kids as they grow up; and the safe steady life and keeping him happy.

However, I don't like the parts where a woman never questions her man. Don't get me wrong, I'm not that nosy, and I respect the privacy of being late to things or cancellations, but I would like to know where he was if he were to stay out all night. I know there are times and circumstances for everything to be talked about, but I like to stay in the loop....

When I get lucky enough to find a man to marry, I figure we will both be working for a while to raise money for a nice place to live (I don't require a picket fence, but I would like a nice place) and to save up for children.

Though, when I have kids, I would like to stay home with them if possible.
i myself would like a stepford wife, and btw the husband brings home the money the wife makes him cofotable wen he gets back from a hard days work.

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

The Stepford Wife
I suppose it could be boring after a while. My granny was a stay-at-home wife with children and to pass the time between cleaning she became a seamstress for the public. She made clothes for people that had trouble finding clothing to fit them in stores, since she herself was so small and hard to fit (she's just an inch shy of being 5 foot tall, and at the time of they're marriage my Papa could put his hand in a circle--thumb to thumb and pointer finger to pointer finger--around her waist).

I don't doubt that having children would be less boring, but I don't plan on becoming a parent. I don't like children, and I don't think I'd be a good parent. I will probably be an uncle, though (and my baby sister is 20 years younger than me), so I'm sure I could look after kids any time I felt the need to be parental. blaugh

It probably wouldn't have been so bad if we had a bigger house to look after, or a yard. But we were (well, are) in a tiny apartment, so it doesn't take much time to clean.

@Takenthepunches999: And what if there are two "husbands"? =D

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces