Welcome to Gaia! ::

So, now that High School is about to end and I will no longer be involved in five THOUSAND different extra curriculars, I'll finally have time to get a job. Now, my options for jobs in the area aren't exactly great. There's some fast food joints (Captain D's, Pizza Hut, McDonald's, etc...), a few sit-down restaurants (Cracker Barrel, Ruby Tuesday's, etc...), Wal-Mart, Kroger... And, most recently, a new Starbuck's. Obviously for the teens in the area it's a desired job, and I'm no exception.

My question is, is the job as good as it sounds? I mean, I freaking love coffee and getting paid to make coffee sounds pretty awesome to me. Plus it seems like it'd be kind of a more relaxed environment with a more hip, accepting crowd. So, what are their policies on weird hair colors and stuff like that, what do they look for in an applicant, is the job as good as it sounds? Thanks in advance for your responses!

P.S. I have worked before, but it's been stuff that I can kind of make my own hours for. I've worked odd jobs in my mom's doctor's office and as a tutor.
I would honestly take the job at Starbucks, especially since it's the summer before college. Biggest perk: you'll know how to make those gourmet coffees without having to spend $6 a cup.
Glass Apples
I would honestly take the job at Starbucks, especially since it's the summer before college. Biggest perk: you'll know how to make those gourmet coffees without having to spend $6 a cup.

I haven't actually applied yet. I'm trying to decide whether or not it'd be a worthwhile job. And yeah, that would rock knowing how to make all of that stuff.
I had a friend who worked there for about a year. Assuming that their policies are the same everywhere, unnatural hair colours aren't accepted, and I don't think that you can have facial piercings either.

It's the same as any other job when it comes to being a good place to work, really. If you have a good manager and good co-workers, you'll have a good time. If not, it'll suck.

I'm not exactly sure what they look for in an applicant, other than experience. However, I've heard that most people don't get hired at Starbucks their first time applying. I suppose that has something to do with the bizarre interview questions...
Starbucks as a huge endorser of the Republican Party.
Ahem. As a UK politics student studying American politics that would probably be enough for me to not want to work there.

AND they say they're good to kids picking coffee beans but they're not. Cafe Nero all the way!

Secondly, I don't think I've ever seen a different looking person work at a Starbucks. I mean... the occassional cute guy with longer hair maybe... But no. No unnatural hair colours.
TriumphantChaos
I had a friend who worked there for about a year. Assuming that their policies are the same everywhere, unnatural hair colours aren't accepted, and I don't think that you can have facial piercings either.

It's the same as any other job when it comes to being a good place to work, really. If you have a good manager and good co-workers, you'll have a good time. If not, it'll suck.

I'm not exactly sure what they look for in an applicant, other than experience. However, I've heard that most people don't get hired at Starbucks their first time applying. I suppose that has something to do with the bizarre interview questions...

Bizarre interview questions? Could you elaborate? About the hair colors, I'm not planning on doing anything like blue or green or anything, just a chunk of fiery red in my bangs. Still a no-no?

3,750 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
If you comment on my profile, you will get hugz. DO IT!

You could volunteer first, then you can get a better job.

User ImageUser ImageUser Image
Starbucks is okay,I worked at a borders and the most down side is ofcoarse burning youself =_=;
Atzi
If you comment on my profile, you will get hugz. DO IT!

You could volunteer first, then you can get a better job.

User ImageUser ImageUser Image

Volunteer? At Starbucks?
if you are working at starbucks can you please snag me a cran muffin??? i would be very muched appeased if you did. but anywho. heres the thing starbucks steals it's coffee from columbine. they are also in support of Hugo Chavez in Venezuela. in short a bunch of illegals smuggle crack in coffee and give it to starbicks. that's why there coffee is son dang good. tis why i don't drink coffee. but please give me a cran muffin!
I live in Southern California, so Starbucks doesn't mind about facial piercings or weird hair colors. :3

I have a buddy who's been working there for over a year, and he says it's like taking one huge break alllll day.
I'm jealous. I work in retail. But I don't like coffee, so...
Axis of Fabulousness
TriumphantChaos

Bizarre interview questions? Could you elaborate? About the hair colors, I'm not planning on doing anything like blue or green or anything, just a chunk of fiery red in my bangs. Still a no-no?

Only one of them stands out in my mind (I think it was the most off the wall one anyway) "Describe a time where you took the moral highroad when someone else wouldn't have."

Have fun with that one. xD

If it was a red that could pass as a natural colour, you would probably be alright. However, I'm not quite sure.

My cousin said it was the best job he's ever had. They overpay pay alot and recommend that you try their coffees in your spare time so you know what to recommend to customers.

Dapper Man-Lover

Axis of Fabulousness
About the hair colors, I'm not planning on doing anything like blue or green or anything, just a chunk of fiery red in my bangs. Still a no-no?

Unless it's a "natural" red hair color (not cherry red or something obscene and bright), they should be fine with it. Generally, you have to look kind of "plain" to get hired at Starbucks (you can wear makeup and have long hair and whatnot, but they generally don't approve of odd dye jobs, facial piercings, or largely-visible tattoos).

It wouldn't be too bad to work at a Starbucks, but you will get sick of the smell of coffee very quickly.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff