Welcome to Gaia! ::

Interesting Businesswoman

5,550 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
Nurse Kipsie
I soak my hair in coconut oil then wash it out.

I'll sometimes use natural bar soap (either pure glycerin or dr, bronner's) to wash my hair and reguar sulfate-free paraben-free conditioner.

I'll follow up with castor oil or more coconut oil.
Sometimes olive

Since I have textured hair, I condition a lot more than I "shampoo".

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I've done the whole apple cider vinegar thing, too.
I've been longing to try catnip rinses, but i'm afraid my cat might attack me. rofl

This is horrible, but I just want to touch your hair.
I'm going to have to try that coconut oil thing.

Interesting Businesswoman

5,550 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
Chisa Gyaru
I actually recently started something called 'the curly girl method' where you wash your hair only with conditioner... It isn't really like what you're talking about... You still wash your hair, but you use sulfate-free conditioners instead of any kind of shampoo, and avoid any hair products with silicone in them, and my hair is loving it so far... And my slightly curly hair is starting to look much better. ^_^

This is my next thing. Thanks.

Aged Girl

klein_eine
Nurse Kipsie
I soak my hair in coconut oil then wash it out.

I'll sometimes use natural bar soap (either pure glycerin or dr, bronner's) to wash my hair and reguar sulfate-free paraben-free conditioner.

I'll follow up with castor oil or more coconut oil.
Sometimes olive

Since I have textured hair, I condition a lot more than I "shampoo".

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I've done the whole apple cider vinegar thing, too.
I've been longing to try catnip rinses, but i'm afraid my cat might attack me. rofl

This is horrible, but I just want to touch your hair.
I'm going to have to try that coconut oil thing.

Thanks. 3nodding
It's usually filled with oils, herbal stuff, etc. so I always get nervous when people ask to touch it.

The coconut oil works and is actually affordable.

Bashful Shapeshifter

9,250 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
It's just "what you do" now, so naturally people are gonna raise a brow at not following that norm. It's kind of annoying... But if you know it works for you, I wouldn't sweat ignorant comments about not being hygienic.

I stopped using conventional shampoo when I couldn't afford it/anything anymore. I was on food stamps and found out I could buy baking soda and vinegar with them and use them instead, so I had to try it out (considering my hair is very thin, and would be greasy looking by the end of the day since I washed it daily). It's been roughly three years, and I've gone up to fourteen days before I feel like I should deep clean it again (ie: use more than just water when I rinse myself off in the shower). If I could get over the soft shine the vinegar gives my hair, I could handle just water. For now, those are literally the only two products I use for cosmetic reasons, so I'm gonna let myself have it. I'll never go back to conventional shampoo, though. The way I use my "no poo" stuff, it would seem like a waste of money.

Wild Unicorn

I've been wondering this lately. I was sick for a few weeks and couldn't deal with wet hair ... I have long hair... And ever since I don't need to wash. It'll get to a week and a half and I'll l realize I haven't yet washed it... Only it isn't greasy, dry or yuck. I wash it every week and a half now and mostly because I feel like I'm supposed to.
I have loooong hair. It's not like it's short and easy. But the difference is so obvious to before when I had to wash it every three days...

I do use organic shampoo / conditioner which might help avoid chemicals.

It's funny. My hippie friends used to tell me that hair products were actually designed to keep you needing to buy more. Guess they were right.

Dapper Ladykiller

Momentum33
Cuppolove
Momentum33
Cuppolove
Probably because you're a black boy with tight, woolly hair shorn CLOSE to the skull. neutral
Nope. Dark skinned asian with straight hair. Epic fail.

Then go wash your hair, kid. neutral
Yeah okay there old woodpecker. Just because I don't use shampoo doesn't mean I don't wash my hair.

With what? Baking soda? wink

And in case you're still interested, I shower and shampoo every other day, BTW.

Pure-hearted Vampire

16,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
Srintella Tiagara
For me I need to shampoo my hair everyday. If I don't I wake up with a rats nest that can't be brushed through.

Honestly, it depends on the persons's hair and what they do on a day to day bases. I can try and not do a thing...

But like I said I can't do anything with my hair if I don't. x_X That's me though.
try coconut oil. Not the conditioner that smells of coconut..but solid real actual coconut oil.

Demonic Businesswoman

10,825 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Conversationalist 100
BIJINKEI
Rogue Destiny
BIJINKEI
I use sulfate free shampoo so it doesn't strip off all the oils from my hair.

What kind of shampoo do you use? I'm curious.
Organix.

Oh, I've seen that at Wal-mart! I'll have to get it next time. Thanks!

Sugary Cat

No thanx. I am sticking with shampoo.

Timid Lunatic

User Image

My hair gets oily if I don't wash it every day. And if it only gets wet with water, it dries frizzy and gets all tangled. Shampoo does the same thing to it on its own, which is why I always use conditioner too. I have considered using natural hair care products (like apple cider vinegar and baking soda), but I'm lazy. Either way, I wouldn't go a day without washing my hair with something.

User Image

Lupine Labtech

I can't ever see myself quitting shampoo. I have thin hair and I recently found a shampoo and condition that helps thicken it. That and it just feels nicer and looks and smells nicer when washed. I only wash my hair every 3-4 days though. Only starts to get icky then.

Bunny

Because soft hair.

Metalmouth420's Husband

Timid Gekko

There's actually a chemical in many shampoos that cause hair loss. (lauryl sulfate, I think?)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff