Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wealthy Informer

2,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
I am a traditional person, a straight woman who is getting married toa straight man. I have never been keen on the idea of gay marriages because it's not the norm in my opinion.

The only thing I cannot agree with is gay people adopting children. It is because all of my life I have been brought up to believe that it was only possible for a man and woman to love each other, not a man and man or woman and woman. I don't think I knew about gay relationships until the time I hit puberty!! Therefore I do not believe that children should think this is possible.

You can flame me all you like but none of those flames can change my opinion.
The only reason it's illegal is because it's morally wrong to christians but to me that's right up there with pushing your religious beliefs on someone and that seems wrong. They're arguement is that they can't have kids or whatever but what about people who are sterile? they can't have kids either but it's acceptable for them, so it all goes back to christian moral beliefs. And really (this is just me being pesimistic now) it's not like marriage survival rates are good these days anyways, so it's not like it's something worth fighting for the tradition of. Everyone should be allowed to join in the bleak outlook on marriage ^_^

Dainty Doll

Of course it should be legal!

I firmly believe that not allowing homosexuals to marry is a form of persecution.

It is nothing but homophobia, and that is out-dated, archaic, ignorant and just plain wrong.

As a married woman, I benefit from a whole myriad of legal rights that I would not be entitled to, were I not legally married to my husband.
It is immoral to not to allow a homosexual couple the same rights, simply because of their sexuality.
JaddziaDax
Personally I'm all for equal rights, I see no reason two men or two women who want to make each other family shouldn't have the legal right to do so. Two consenting human adults no matter what gender should have the right to marry, because its fair.

Well said.

I'd like to marry my partner one day... heart

Lady Fox

26,050 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
Rennie`
I am a traditional person, a straight woman who is getting married toa straight man. I have never been keen on the idea of gay marriages because it's not the norm in my opinion.

The only thing I cannot agree with is gay people adopting children. It is because all of my life I have been brought up to believe that it was only possible for a man and woman to love each other, not a man and man or woman and woman. I don't think I knew about gay relationships until the time I hit puberty!! Therefore I do not believe that children should think this is possible.

You can flame me all you like but none of those flames can change my opinion.

Just because you were raised a certain way does not mean that way is right. What urks me is that people assume that just because their parents said is that it means they are automatically right. Maybe thirty or fifty years people were taught that interracial marriage was wrong, that marriage was only between a white man and a white woman. I believe that gay marriage will be the same way, and people will be laughing on how stupid people were in the past.

What's wrong with gay adoption? Why should we deny people children simply because they are not a couple consisting of a man and a woman? The adoption system is overcrowded. As long as they prove to be fit parents, what's the problem that they simply have a girlfriend or boyfriend of the same gender? Why should that matter?

I'm going to be harsh---it is possible for two women and two men to love each other. It has always been possible. Look, I don't want to be rude but your view are ignorant. You need to open up, and expand your morals. I am not saying your parents are bad people. I am simply saying that being closed minded is not the best choice.

And you're right, I can't change your opinion. I assume that has to do with people being afraid to admit that they are wrong, or being stubborn.

Having an opinion is good.

Using your opinion to keep certain rights away from groups of people? Not good.
MattyIsSexOnWheels
For those of you who saw my other post, yes, this is also contributing towards the class discussion. Relax, Im not getting random online people to do my homework for me razz
Its that I honestly cannot think of any argument for this besides the freedom of choice: That people should be free to choose who and how to love. That and the theory that people are born gay and shouldn't' be held accountable towards something they have no control over.

And to be honest Im actually thinking of abstaining from saying yes or no to this one. The other topics to be debated are a matter of opinion. This one challenges moral convictions upon which those of my belief are challenged. While I personally believe I support it, I cannot bring myself to say yes because that brings into question whether or not I can say yes based upon the moral supposed sin....yes, I think that was vague enough for people to understand my position razz

Anyway, any contribution anyone could make to this at all would help. Although keep in mind I'm still considering saying neither yes nor no.

You're not born gay, you choose to be gay. You can choose to not give in (sorry I don't know how else to put it), to gay desires, but like I said, it's your choice whether or not to do things with another man, just like it's your choice whether or not to do things with another woman.

In all honesty, the only people who don't want gay marriage are the pseudo-christians who don't seem to understand that God gave us free will and that if we try to make it so one thing isn't a choice, we're not really changing. None of us can change somebody, we can only try and point them on the right path.

Dainty Doll

thebocesman

You're not born gay, you choose to be gay. You can choose to not give in (sorry I don't know how else to put it), to gay desires, but like I said, it's your choice whether or not to do things with another man, just like it's your choice whether or not to do things with another woman.

What?

So, all those homosexual animals in the world, are choosing to be gay, despite being completely incapable of that level of coherent thought?

Besides, having sex with someone of the same gender isn't what makes you gay, it is being attracted to people of the same gender that defines your sexuality.
|| - { Your heart is charcoal, smoking black. . . } - ||

Technically marriage is a joining of a man and a woman.
I personally feel that gay's should have the same rights that anyone else has.
All men are created equal right?
So why can't they marry?

|| - { Why don't you just tie the mattress to your back? } - ||
(sarcasm)Bogus! Whut a monstrosity! Soon ye folks be saying that ya'll black men cun marry a white womun!(/sarcasm)
Does anyone see the parallel here?
karra-kun
The reason they should be legal is because there is no valid reason for them to be illegal. We shouldn't need to find a reason why it is good. Straight people never needed a reason. I fail to see how anyone could choose who to be attracted to, and I certainly can't. I don't really understand why you are so uncertain about it.

You should be able to marry whoever you really love. heart
ok, nobody should be refused the right to marry who they love. and if the united states wont legalize it, most people will just take the drive up to canada so they can tell those narrowminded assholes, who wont seperate church and state, to suck their gay dicks. hows that?

there is NO reason why gays shouldnt be allowed to marry. if i find the right girl, i will eventually want to marry her, and nobody should try to stop love
why shuld the govenment tell us who we can marry

2,800 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
The only place in America it's legal is Massachusetts. And thats IT! They came from all over to get married. Poor men and women.
[Nympho] Whore
I think it should be legal to marry and not just a "joint union" or whatever it is.
People cannot choose who they fall inlove with, it just happens.
Nobody should be told "Oh you're gay you cannot be wed" I mean, who are you to judge? Homosexual behaviour has been happening for a VERY long time so why not let them wed aswell? They aren't hurting anyone are they?

If you were to bring God into this, didn't he say to love your neighbour? Among other things saying everyone is equal, If we're so equal let same sex marriages happen!

On the other hand, if you agree to that because you cannot choose who you love, people may take it too far and complain "I love my pet, I wish to marry him/her" as I think it's either legal or whatever in France but I'm sure I read of how people in France have been marrying pets.
That would lead to, you say it's okay to let homosexuals marry, for equality. But for those who are (There are alot of people really) actually inlove with their pets, it's not right? Not allowed? That wouldn't be fair nor equal.

NOTE: Putting from both sides.Because I agree, but then disagree.

The only thing that you came up with for not wanting them is that it could lead people to wanting other things. I mean why give a kid a peice of cake, hes only going to want one with ice cream next. and all that rediculous bull s**t.

Lady Fox

26,050 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
[Nympho] Whore
I think it should be legal to marry and not just a "joint union" or whatever it is.
People cannot choose who they fall inlove with, it just happens.
Nobody should be told "Oh you're gay you cannot be wed" I mean, who are you to judge? Homosexual behaviour has been happening for a VERY long time so why not let them wed aswell? They aren't hurting anyone are they?

If you were to bring God into this, didn't he say to love your neighbour? Among other things saying everyone is equal, If we're so equal let same sex marriages happen!

On the other hand, if you agree to that because you cannot choose who you love, people may take it too far and complain "I love my pet, I wish to marry him/her" as I think it's either legal or whatever in France but I'm sure I read of how people in France have been marrying pets.
That would lead to, you say it's okay to let homosexuals marry, for equality. But for those who are (There are alot of people really) actually inlove with their pets, it's not right? Not allowed? That wouldn't be fair nor equal.

NOTE: Putting from both sides.Because I agree, but then disagree.

There's one flaw with your opinion:

People can consent.

Animals can not.

Yes, I do realize that people might "marry" their pet. But last time I checked, that was not considered marriage by law.

Marriage is a bond between two CONSENTING people.

Personally, I don't give a s**t if someone wants to marry their dog. As long as they are not harming it, it's fine with me.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff