Welcome to Gaia! ::

French Pizza
All For Astro-Naught
French Pizza
All For Astro-Naught
MrRhinestone Eyes
Citations needed.

Don't be silly.

We grow up with our boys being told to, "be a man", "don't fight/cry/run/play/etc. like a girl", where the very issue being discussed is that men are too afraid to dress in a feminine fashion because they know they'll be criticized for it... And you wish to pretend that this is all news to you? Stahp it.

weasel word/phrase

All For Astro-Naught
I don't believe that there's anything the matter with men dressing in a feminine style. The only reason why it's socially acceptable for women to dress in a masculine fashion is because being "manly" is encouraged, while anything "feminine" is often ridiculed.

Anyway, I'm sorry you've been discouraged from dressing as you'd like.

All I'm saying is that there's something the matter when men are afraid to dress and act as they'd like to for fear of being associated with femininity. If you believe that I'm wrong, that boys do not in fact grow up being aggressively discouraged from feminine qualities, or that this isn't the reason why men are afraid to go out in public dressed in women's fashion, then I'd love it if you could explain why.

im not saying youre wrong;
im saying that you need to back up your statement

if
you
deviate
from
societal
standards
in
dress
you
get
looks
or
insults
or
attacks
how
is
this
hard
to
understand
French Pizza
All For Astro-Naught
French Pizza
All For Astro-Naught
MrRhinestone Eyes
Citations needed.

Don't be silly.

We grow up with our boys being told to, "be a man", "don't fight/cry/run/play/etc. like a girl", where the very issue being discussed is that men are too afraid to dress in a feminine fashion because they know they'll be criticized for it... And you wish to pretend that this is all news to you? Stahp it.

weasel word/phrase

All For Astro-Naught
I don't believe that there's anything the matter with men dressing in a feminine style. The only reason why it's socially acceptable for women to dress in a masculine fashion is because being "manly" is encouraged, while anything "feminine" is often ridiculed.

All I'm saying is that there's something the matter when men are afraid to dress and act as they'd like to for fear of being associated with femininity. If you believe that I'm wrong, that boys do not in fact grow up being aggressively discouraged from feminine qualities, or that this isn't the reason why men are afraid to go out in public dressed in women's fashion, then I'd love it if you could explain why.

When I brought up examples of what most boys are made to grow up with, I kind of thought I did. Those are words that we've all heard in our childhood, aimed at ourselves, our brothers, our peers, and it's problematic. ..Or, is pointing this out meaningless to you unless recordings of incidents are provided?

Demonic Phantom

Why Juxtaposed
French Pizza
All For Astro-Naught
French Pizza
All For Astro-Naught

Don't be silly.

weasel word/phrase

All For Astro-Naught

if
you
deviate
from
societal
standards
in
dress
you
get
looks
or
insults
or
attacks
how
is
this
hard
to
understand

and
what
are
societal
standards

Demonic Phantom

All For Astro-Naught
French Pizza
All For Astro-Naught
French Pizza
All For Astro-Naught

Don't be silly.

weasel word/phrase

All For Astro-Naught

When I brought up examples of what most boys are made to grow up with, I kind of thought I did. Those are words that we've all heard in our childhood, aimed at ourselves, our brothers, our peers, and it's problematic. ..Or, is pointing this out meaningless to you unless recordings of incidents are provided?

i don't really think
especially now
all parents teach their children this way

i think that when you say "society doesn't like femininity"
that is more of a personal opinion
or "weasel word".

i don't need incidences
i just want to see where people think this
then that will validate your argument better.

Tipsy Lunatic

I'd rather guys dress more feminine than the brightly colored meta-thug looking crap they're wearing now. ******** clowns.

Lavish Loiterer

I work at a clothing store where a good majority of the clothes are unisex. Excluding underwear of course, but I guess those could count too if that's your thing. And I am happy to say that any thin/transparent shirts are rare to come by since we only really have them as layering pieces for an outfit. Right now since it's gotten colder, we have a lot of warm material clothing which I can't wait to stock up on. whee

Typically, I get to tell customers everyday that if they see something they like in either the men's or women's department, they should go for it. Even our kids/infant section is unisex. 3nodding

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
I think you can, you just need to shave your legs, first.

Generous Gaian

10,550 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Big Tipper 100
Mukuchina Kurasu
Raven Winter
Eh, if you want to wear a skirt, why don't you just do it anyway?

Lol. No way. I don't have nearly enough courage to do that.

Scottish men wear kilts.
there's nothing wrong with it.
dont worry about what people think !
just say your bringing sexy back lol

Invisible Bloodsucker

11,400 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Object of Affection 150
Mukuchina Kurasu
I mean really, girls can wear pretty much any type of clothing they want and it pretty much accepted as normal. Even if it is considered "boyish". But a guy wearing girls clothes like a skirt or something is looked at as a freak.

I seriously don't get it. There was a time when girls wearing pants was socially unacceptable, but that changed. Why not the reverse? What is wrong with men in skirts?

Skirts are thought to be a women's garment in American culture. In America, men that act like women are treated as inferior, while women that act like men are not (they are considered cool chicks). It is an example of how patriarchy oppresses men. American patriarchy makes a world where men are limited as much as women. Fight the patriarchy whoo whoo!

Komitkid's Wife

I would say dress however you'd like regardless however, i dont know where you live and the people that surround you on a daily basis. People can be verbally abusive and violent. But your right, men should be able to dress any way they'd like and it be acceptable. : [
French Pizza
All For Astro-Naught
French Pizza
All For Astro-Naught
French Pizza

weasel word/phrase

All For Astro-Naught

i don't really think
especially now
all parents teach their children this way

i think that when you say "society doesn't like femininity"
that is more of a personal opinion
or "weasel word".

i don't need incidences
i just want to see where people think this
then that will validate your argument better.

I don't think that all parents put their children through lessons like that, either, but I'm twenty-two now, grew up in a country where both women and men are (legally) recognized as people, and I recall this shaming quite clearly. When I share these experiences with people around my age, to twice that, I often find that they too have experienced much of the same. What I hear from teens now is that this is still a problem that our youths face, and it seems to be boys that experience the worst of it.

The reason why women have a little more freedom in being something other than "feminine", is because tomboys and traits that are thought to be "masculine" are encouraged more so than traits that are thought to be "feminine". It is acceptable for women to embrace their femininity and even their masculinity, too, as it's thought to be strength of character - That doesn't mean they're not sniggered at, but the backlash is considerably different from what men who embrace femininity endure.

An example of this is the way that women have more freedom to dress both in a feminine fashion or masculine, while men are made to feel afraid of doing the same.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff