Welcome to Gaia! ::

I mean really, girls can wear pretty much any type of clothing they want and it pretty much accepted as normal. Even if it is considered "boyish". But a guy wearing girls clothes like a skirt or something is looked at as a freak.

I seriously don't get it. There was a time when girls wearing pants was socially unacceptable, but that changed. Why not the reverse? What is wrong with men in skirts?

Timid Combatant

13,690 Points
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
Eh, if you want to wear a skirt, why don't you just do it anyway?
Raven Winter
Eh, if you want to wear a skirt, why don't you just do it anyway?

Lol. No way. I don't have nearly enough courage to do that.
I don't believe that there's anything the matter with men dressing in a feminine style. The only reason why it's socially acceptable for women to dress in a masculine fashion is because being "manly" is encouraged, while anything "feminine" is often ridiculed.

Anyway, I'm sorry you've been discouraged from dressing as you'd like.
All For Astro-Naught
I don't believe that there's anything the matter with men dressing in a feminine style. The only reason why it's socially acceptable for women to dress in a masculine fashion is because being "manly" is encouraged, while anything "feminine" is often ridiculed.

Yeah I agree with that. I really do wish guys, well at least straight guys, weren't ridiculed for dressing nice, wearing particular colors and treat themselves to some good skin pampering and what not. At least where I live in the south, I feel guys are afraid to wear anything outside of ed hardy shirts and cargo shorts and have a decent haircut cause they're afraid of being called gay or girly.
There are guys that wear skirts. I've seen gothic guys wear long studded skirts with chains and platform boots. And what about a kilt?

Beloved Bunny

Taking a shot in the dark here, but maybe it is because, back in the day, there were more ballsy pants-wearing women than there were ballsy skirt-wearing men?

edit: Also, pants might just be more practical than skirts, thus more forgivable to wear.
xiatara
There are guys that wear skirts. I've seen gothic guys wear long studded skirts with chains and platform boots. And what about a kilt?

Yeah I guess you're right. I haven't seen any personally. But I did a google search and got a lot of pretty cool looking results.

Kawaii Sentai

Pants are easier for everyone to wear. Skirts leave you with little to no pockets.

Also,
Be the change you wish to see. If you want skirts to be acceptable on men you should start out by wearing them. If you don't want to then it shouldn't be a hard guess from there as to why they're socially frowned upon by society. Because, like you, no men want to wear skirts.
I would gladly give up the variety in what women were sociably able to wear if they ******** stopped making women's clothing so Goddamn thin and transparent. I buy a shirt, I don't want people to be able to see through it. Why the ******** has this become normal.
The Wandering Nine
I would gladly give up the variety in what women were sociably able to wear if they ******** stopped making women's clothing so Goddamn thin and transparent. I buy a shirt, I don't want people to be able to see through it. Why the ******** has this become normal.

But... Can't you just buy shirts that are not transparent? Transparent shirts are not the only ones women can wear.
The Wandering Nine

I understand this struggle. Have you noticed that the quality of the shirts have gotten experimentally shittier and more expensive?
Mukuchina Kurasu
But... Can't you just buy shirts that are not transparent? Transparent shirts are not the only ones women can wear.

Of course transparent clothes aren't the only ones women can wear. The issue is with the options for women in their clothing department; a large portion of what's being sold is thin and transparent materials. That's kind of like asking me why can't I just wear jeans that aren't painted to my a**. Unless I buy a pair that are way too big and wear a belt, I don't really have many options otherwise.
kelsey-chan
I understand this struggle. Have you noticed that the quality of the shirts have gotten experimentally shittier and more expensive?

God, yes, and it's bullshit. And what the hell is with all this brightly colored neon underwear? Am I supposed to be showing this s**t off now or something? What the hell is going on. ******** Christ. I'll just keep venturing into the men's department, I guess, since if I want actual clothing that's where I'll find'em.
The Wandering Nine
Mukuchina Kurasu

Of course transparent clothes aren't the only ones women can wear. The issue is with the options for women in their clothing department; a large portion of what's being sold is thin and transparent materials. That's kind of like asking me why can't I just wear jeans that aren't painted to my a**. Unless I buy a pair that are way too big and wear a belt, I don't really have many options otherwise.

Well why not wear men's clothes? I know a lot of women do. And that is what I was getting at. Women have that option, it is perfectly normal for them. And that gives them a very big selection of clothing. You're bound to find something that you like.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff