Welcome to Gaia! ::

I'm 18, Im a female, I'm was born in costa rica but I've been living in the us since I was 5, my mom survived the war in el salvador, I'm in all Honor's classes (including honors lit so I'm pretty sure my essay's are not THAT bad.) at school, have a 3.0 and I did all this stuff:
Awards/ Achievements:
President and founder the AMES Academy volunteer club.
Blue Ribbon in 2006 public forum Debate tournament “Excellent Speaker”
AMES Academy Science fair participant
AMES Academy: Science advancement program award
AMES Academy science fair, honorable mention.
Salt Lake Valley Science Fair (SLVSF) Honorable Mention
Jane Goodall’s: Root’s and Shoots environmental award
American Society of Civil Engineer’s (ASCE) science award
Clubs:
AMES volunteers
AMES Bike club
Year Book
Public Forum Debate team
Science fair committee
Up and Coming Voters Club
Tutoring Club
Fashion club
Speech and Debate Team
Volunteer experience:
Scottsdale Annual Arts Festival - Imagination center volunteer
Home Based Youth - “Rise N’ Dine” event volunteer.
American Cancer Association - Relay for Life
Muscular Dystrophy Association – Christmas Luncheon
Utah Aids Foundation – Christmas gift wrap
Save The Family – Made a scrapbook and birthday cards.
Boys and Girls Club of America – L.I.T. (Leader in Training).
Academy for Math Engineering and Science - Volunteer club president and founder.
Utah Children’s Center - Toy drive.
Nibley Park Elementary - Reading tutor.
Girls Scout of America - Christmas gift wrap.
Academy for Math Engineering and Science Multicultural Fair – Coordinator.

Extracurricular activities: Volunteering, biking, hiking, swimming, photography, scrap booking, reading, writing, participating in my church, and my school’s up and coming voters club, studying, looking for scholarships, and being with my family.

I've applied to tons of scholarships and I've only been a finalist in one.
WTF?
I've already been accepted into college UofU what I need now is a SCHOLARSHIP

Perfect Trash

Because the other people who applied were better than you? Because you wrote shitty application essays? Because you only have a 3.0 GPA?
because you play on a crap game lyke this and your trying to hard. relax.

till be okay.

^^
SinfulGuillotine
Because the other people who applied were better than you? Because you wrote shitty application essays? Because you only have a 3.0 GPA?
so I have to have a 4.0 and them MAYBE i'll be worthy of a shcolarshi?
Are you ******** serious? I did all this s**t and I'm not even close?
that sucks.
Most colleges are looking for community work, years of foreign language, and a high GPA (like a 3.8 or above)
Welara_Ponie
because you play on a crap game lyke this and your trying to hard. relax.

till be okay.

^^
what crap game? this is a forum, last I checked. and I CAN'T relax until I get where/what I want to get/go.
Have you tried fastweb yet? They have shitloads of scholarships, good ones.

I've also noticed that it helps if you can do stuff no one really cares about, like play air guitar.
yournewBFF101
Most colleges are looking for community work, years of foreign language, and a high GPA (like a 3.8 or above)
I've already been accepted to college, I need a SCHOLARSHI!P!!!!
Screaming Wombat
Have you tried fastweb yet? They have shitloads of scholarships, good ones.

I've also noticed that it helps if you can do stuff no one really cares about, like play air guitar.
yeah but it seems like a lot of them are brickfish or memorial scholarships. not that I haven't applied anyway, I ended up being a finalist for the discover card tribute scholarship but that's about it.

Perfect Trash

xnecropolisx
SinfulGuillotine
so I have to have a 4.0 and them MAYBE i'll be worthy of a shcolarshi?
Are you ******** serious? I did all this s**t and I'm not even close?
that sucks.
Well, it certainly wouldn't hurt. I got a scholarship from my music conservatory purely for having a perfect academic record. But then...that's because it's a music conservatory, so they don't really looks at academic marks except in the case of certain scholarships.
Should've been in IORG, not Girl Scouts. >.> College's (sp?) and scholarships usually like to see Rainbow Girls, since they're in more knowledge of their community and stuff. >.> And, the Masonic organizations have one hell of a lotta scholarships. =D
Scholarships can be VERY picky especially with a lower end gpa
I went into college with a 3.72 gpa with tons of achievements and incredibly amounts of community service and I could only get 2 scholarships.
Its a hell lot easier to get scholarships once you are in college.
I am a first year sophomore and I was able to get much more.
Very few people get enough scholarships to cover their entire educational costs. Guidance counselors make it sound like there are a lot more scholarships for the average student than there actually are.

Go through Fastweb, ask your college's financial aid office, apply for everything you can find, and deal with the fact that you may have to work to help pay for college and/or take out loans.

Also, a 3.0 GPA isn't that great, honestly. It's about a B- average depending on how your school calculates grades. Given the number of folks out there with 3.5 GPAs up through above a 4.0, it's just not competitive.
Most of the time, if you want a scholarship, you have to have a GPA like, about 4.0, I think.

Sports, other languages, etc?
You certainly don't need a perfect 4.0 GPA to get scholarships. In fact, I think there are a couple of scholarships where they focus on people who don't have perfect GPAs but good accomplishments otherwise.

Scholarships are hard to get because tons of people apply. You can apply for fifty and still only hear back from one or two. It has nothing to do with you. And if you're applying to outside scholarships, you're probably not going to be able to get enough to cover all your college costs.

Have you checked your local community scholarships? Those are easier to get because, well, they're only for residents of your community. When I graduated last year, practically everyone got a scholarship from the town.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff