Welcome to Gaia! ::

is it because we are taught to be by our parent, the church or is it school? what do you think?

6,450 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Member 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
All of it, really. Western civilization focuses on it.
wel i guess no-one wants to talk about this subject
People are taught to pay attention only to reality. No imagining things. If you have a good imagination, you are put in the loony bin, so people are like that for their own good.

6,450 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Member 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Hurray! Appearantly I'm no one!
The same reason why you think they are. It's the nature of the person. I've wondered this myself for a while, but I've come to the conclusion that almost all people can't change or see things from different perspectives simply because their mind hasn't expanded that far.
You're taught at an early age on what's "right" and "wrong". Everything influences you as a kid so by the time you're old enough to form your own opinions you already have them without even knowing.

And Ronald is right, it's the Western civilization as a whole. What with religion being such a big deal here everyone gets bent over the smallest things dealing with it, which branches out into other subjects.

5,450 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
People are people, and you can't make anyone feel the same way that you feel, because they are not the same person as you are. It's just a fact.
Ronald Johnson
All of it, really. Western civilization focuses on it.

Heard of Islamic extremists? They are pretty closed minded too.
Mehra
People are people, and you can't make anyone feel the same way that you feel, because they are not the same person as you are. It's just a fact.

Ah. Someone has common sense.
Mehra

Spot on!
no everyones opinion counts here. i think if we raise our kids to know what is right and what is wrong but allow them to still express and question things then there wouldn't be that line of black and white people could see the gray and find that there is more in life that needs to be explored and then maybe there wouldn't be so much drama in the world. the usa isn't so free after all. we judge more than we should.
So basically you want everyone to think alike and accept everything as others say? Sound a little dull if you ask me. I personally don't think such drastic change is a good idea. You can't gain something without giving something up. You can't have people think the same thing and want individualism at the same time, either.
no you miss understood me. that's just the opposite of what i am saying. we are told what to do and what to think from the time we can understand. so we have someone always telling us what to think and how to think so how do you honestly know what we as a person truely feel and believe? the world is dull. i don't want everyone to see things my way. i just think that if you give more options to kids then they find who they truely are instead of you telling them who they are. let them learn and be free with your approval because they are going to any way but this way they can come to you and you can openly talk about it and explore different options instead of saying it my way and theres nothing you can do about it until you turn 18
I think people are because it's unwise to accept everything. Accepting everything causes confusions within oneself and community. While some prejudices and views on things seem unfair and harsh, many things to need to be rejected in society in order to form a more stable civilization. Everything is based off of a sense of morality; the "right," "wrongs," "goods," and "bads." Those are 100% relative and will always be.

If you are referring to people not accepting other people for who they are, the reasons are countless. Some of the more common ones stem from anger, misunderstanding of differences, low education, and immaturity. People learn these things from observation and participation in society. Is it wrong? Not entirely. The whole world wouldn't accept a diamond, and people think those are beautiful. It's all relative.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff