Welcome to Gaia! ::

Distinct Lunatic

2,900 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Loiterer 100
Just got in a fight today with a friend because I made fun of her for whining during a video game because she was getting left behind and apparently I "embarrassed" her in front of a new friend and she decided all on her own that maybe she wouldn't invite new friend over today because she was embarrassed.

How did I handle it? By pointing out she DOES whine and if she had a problem she should have taken me aside and told me such and not stewed over it for a week and decided who I can and cannot hang out with while she's over.

Long story short we blew up at each other and if our last texts were any indication we're fine now. Just some butt hurtness and vague attempts on my part to be the adult in this relationship.

Hygienic Survivor

8,850 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Full closet 200
I have a friend like this, she is really really overly sensitive.

Sometimes its accommodation, sometimes we joke about it, it really does depend on the situation.

Eloquent Lover

Met a few on LI. I also got into a discussion with a gentleman in Lifestyles and was told i was being a "b***h" for standing up for my religion because the person was stereotyping.He later blocked me because, although all I did was also praise him and such, and just contradict his theory reasonably without insult, I guess that is a HUGE fight to him.
I am simultaneously too sensitive and incredibly guilty, so as soon as I have a little hissy fit, I immediately blame it all on myself (whether or not the other person was at fault). I've done a lot of work on my control both of my emotions and my guilt, but when I am too run-down or stressed-out, a lot of that hard work is eroded away. It's very frustrating to know you are the cause of a lot of your own stress. D:
- Do you know anybody like this? Any people who easily get whiny or butthurt over small things, or who overreact to the smallest things? How do you deal with it? Is it just how they are, or do you think they are just an annoying little, whiny attention whore?
My boyfriend pretends to be this kind of person and I just play along. I don't really know anyone else like that, just a couple dramatic folks but they aren't that bad.

On the internet, I just don't care. In real life, I'd probably start a discussion and piss them off since they're so set in their ways.

- Are there any things you get overly sensitive over? Maybe if someone makes a little joke about your appearance you'll flip out? Why do you feel this way?

If it's on the internet, I don't care. Otherwise, I try my best to avoid isms and derogatory terms. I suppose I get sensitive over gay rights. I don't like it when people say something's gay or retarded but I usually just say something like "yes, I bet if that gate had an orientation, it would totally bang a gate of the same gender."

Also, I'm sensitive about being called a weeaboo. I just don't understand.

- Talk about incidents related to over sensitivity? Maybe friends flipping out, etc, etc.
The only thing I can think of is a girl thinking I hated her because I removed her from my Facebook friends list. She thought I was being distant but I'm just awkward. We hardly spoke to begin with.

Women in general tend to mistake my awkwardness for some kind of hostility. They just don't know me well enough.

- How do you deal with overly sensitive people? Do you try to accommodate them, or will you tell them off? Does it depend on the situation? Do you just ignore them?

I think I answered this after the first question... I suppose it depends on the situation but I'm not going to just take their over sensitivity induced tirade so I'd probably be mean and fight back. I mean, if you're going to freak out because I actually made my boyfriend a sandwich, I'm going to tell you off.

- Where do you draw the line between normal reaction, and overreaction? Be as specific of vague as you'd like.
If you flip s**t over something that you could have spoken calmly about, you're overreacting.

Lonely Capitalist

11,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Mark Twain 100
I found I have gotten more sensitive about certain subjects. I generally hold it all in though and dwell on it later, but I don't b***h about it since I understand it's trivial.

Friendly Informer

7,200 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Informer 100
User Image xxx User Image xxx User Image

I pretty much see people like that online every day.
People who can't take a joke or are easily offended by things.
You'd think they were born with a stick up their a**.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Angelic Inquisitor

9,800 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Object of Affection 150
(poor gramor)
Have you ever thought maybe they are depressed or near ther peroid or bullied ect...? Maybe what your saying is mean and harsh.

also going on gaia complaing about sentitive people is called whinning/ranting. Looks like you are sentitive too...

Angelic Inquisitor

9,800 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Object of Affection 150
- Do you know anybody like this? Any people who easily get whiny or butthurt over small things, or who overreact to the smallest things? How do you deal with it? Is it just how they are, or do you think they are just an annoying little, whiny attention whore?

yes but i don't care. I accept the fact some are and arn't sentitive. I sometimes overreact but it's usually near my peroid or having a depressing day. I just keep it to myself. First off there is no reason to call people "annoying little, whinny whore" because they are who they are. You should stop talking and hanging around people who are like this. Called them that is a overreaction.

Are there any things you get overly sensitive over? Maybe if someone makes a little joke about your appearance you'll flip out? Why do you feel this way
yes when i'm near my peroid and having a depressing day. my hormones are raging and my mood effecting how i think.

How do you deal with overly sensitive people? Do you try to accommodate them, or will you tell them off? Does it depend on the situation? Do you just ignore them?
very simple.. if you don't like them, then don't hang around them or talk to them.

Where do you draw the line between normal reaction, and overreaction? Be as specific of vague as you'd like.

everyone does overreact once in a while. It's normal. They might not see how they are overreacting but that's is what ego does. There is no abnormal and normal. There is just some people who don't understand jokes.

Fluffy Bunny

19,225 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
Good lord, I hate whiny people. I understand that no one is perfect; we all have issues, including me. But when people make a big deal out of small stuff or get butthurt when you call them on stuff that they call you out on, then that's just not cool. This includes people being moody all the damn time. See, I can understand complaining about stuff and then trying to fix it; that's fine.

I used to date a guy who was whiny and complained about everything but didn't do anything to fix any of the so-called problems. That was annoying as hell. If you're not going to help fix things, then don't whine.

I think I'm more insensitive than sensitive. Sometimes I feel like Stan from South Park when he was diagnosed with cynicism. I don't like being like that, so I'm trying to be more positive, but sometimes it's hard to get past the apathetic stage.

Usually I try to ignore people being whiny, but there are times when that's impossible because of who it is, which affects my own mood. If it's someone that I care about, I want that person to be happy, and I end up feeling bad along with them.

I draw the line between a normal reaction and overreaction by what the person is reacting to and how long a person stays butthurt after I have made amends (If I did something wrong) or tried to help.

Bloodsucker

It's not the words itself that hurts me but the individual who says them.
If my best friend called me an a*****e, I might believe it because she's known me for 7 years.
But if some random person in class calls me an a*****e, I'll just laugh it off because they know nothing of me.

I can be sensitive though, and it's true when I point out something and people make a big deal out of it (Which never happens in real life. Always in Towns/Forums on Gaia.), I'll get extremely annoyed. People on this site are so damn defensive about their personal opinions.
Insensitive people bug me more, honestly.
I think some people demonstrate excessive sensitivity, but I also think many people are so lacking in social grace they frequently make insensitive, hurtful remarks and, when faced with reproached, fall back on the "I was just joking! Don't be so sensitive!" defense.

As to whether I've ever "set off" a hypersensitive person, I once enraged a friend by commenting sarcastically that I was tired of all the gay pride rumpus in my home town and that I felt the city should initiate a straight pride weekend as well just to see how many straight participants showed their behinds and if they could outdo the gays.

My comment reflected upon various problems related to the gay pride festivals, not to the LGBT community at large. To my shock, my friend of 5+ years lashed out at me quite harshly, accusing me of intolerance and homophobia. Later on, she distanced herself from me and cited our differences of opinion concerning the LGBT community as a cause.

The funny thing about it is this person frequently ridiculed the gay community herself in casual conversation with me. If we watched T.V., both she and her husband would point out particular actors and claim they were "obvious" closeted gays and she would laugh at them.

So, yeah, awkward situations can always happen, and not always make sense no matter how well you think you know people.
splash seal
I draw the line between a normal reaction and overreaction by what the person is reacting to and how long a person stays butthurt after I have made amends (If I did something wrong) or tried to help.

Agreed. There's only so much one can do. I once tried to make things right with a friend who quit talking to me for not seeing eye-to-eye with her on a particular issue. I did my best to communicate to her I still cared for her and cared about the friendship. After a few cool exchanges that never led anywhere, though, I simply stopped talking to her. I'm not going to kiss someone's butt forever, they either accept an olive branch or not.

8,200 Points
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Flatterer 200
I used to. But she changed into being a bully and smacking people, biting, etc.

- Are there any things you get overly sensitive over? Maybe if someone makes a little joke about your appearance you'll flip out? Why do you feel this way?
Considering i had that phase in the 4th and 3rd grade, i don't think i'll be feeling that way anytime soon. Nah, i don't think so, i'm pretty confident about my looks. Just my skin and my hair, but people have that problem too, so i'm not the only one. it doesn't bother me, though. only occasionally do i make a scene... emotion_donotwant

- Talk about incidents related to over sensitivity? Maybe friends flipping out, etc, etc.
i can't stand it when people say 'i'm ugly' to themselves to get attention, then when someone says 'yeah you are ugly' and they get all sad.
honestly, i don't understand why people get overly sensitive.

- How do you deal with overly sensitive people? Do you try to accommodate them, or will you tell them off? Does it depend on the situation? Do you just ignore them?
Half the time i try to avoid them but the other time i try to help them. if they piss me off i'll tell them off.

- Where do you draw the line between normal reaction, and overreaction? Be as specific of vague as you'd like.
Hmmm, if i were to name a problem..
'My dog died'
normal reaction: Crying sometimes, recalling some good memories.
overreaction: crying hysterically, threatening to commit suicide because you can't live without your dog.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff