Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hygienic Wolf

Everyone keep banging on about either being autistic or telling people with autism to ******** off.

I get that thing whole brony crowd consists of mainly autistic guys in fedoras or whatever but surely there's more to people talking about it than that?
Also what about the women with autism?

Kawaii Sentai

Of course there's more to people. That doesn't mean that one has to acknowledge it... Or that it's even true for that matter.

Demonic Ally

SYBSIDIZZE AUTISM ABORTIONS

Anxious Gekko

i dont understand what the question is? what big deal?

Sparkly Duck

darlene devonshire

Autistic has been the word of choice whenever someone disagrees with someone else. Very popular pretty much everywhere. Here it's rather tame and down to probably 2 people saying it.

Anxious Gekko

Compound Me
darlene devonshire

Autistic has been the word of choice whenever someone disagrees with someone else. Very popular pretty much everywhere. Here it's rather tame and down to probably 2 people saying it.

thx.

so saying someone is "retarded" is bad now, but "autistic" is good.

captcha: lardy-dardy
Pretty much the same as "retarded"; the word has denigrated to be just another slur and has little to no meaning anymore past that.
Actually, Autism and mental retardation are not quite the same thing.

According to the UNLV Center for Autism Spectrum Disorders
Quote:
Autism occurs by itself or in conjunction with other disorders, such as intellectual disability (formerly known as mental retardation). Most people with autism (80%) also have intellectual disability ranging from mild to severe. Individuals with only intellectual disability show relatively even skill development, while persons with autism typically show uneven skill development with deficits in certain area (most frequently in their ability to communicate and relate to others) and distinct skills in other areas. Strengths are often seen in auditory memory or ability to do visual processing tasks such as puzzles or matching games.
UNLV Center for Autism Spectrum Disorders

Magical Tree

Autism is hard to deal with often. It can be socially debilitating.

Bronies aren't all autistic.

The majority of people with autism are male. That's why.

I have 1 female friend with asperger's (a mild autism spectrum disorder). Whereas I know at least 3 guys with asperger's, and have 1 male cousin with autism, and know one or two other males with autism.

My female aspie friend blends in better than the males. She says it's because her fixation is faces and people in general. So where other aspies shy away from people, she is fascinated. She knew early on she was different so she tried her best to observe what people do and copy them, even if she didn't know why. (autism affects the ability to pick up social cues - things like how close to stand to a person, what to do with your hands while you're talking, where to look when you're talking.. etc.
i have one autism spectrum-not otherwise specified friend who would walk up right behind you, with his head right over your shoulder, right next to your face, and start commenting on what you were looking at or reading. >.< wink
Valebat
Everyone keep banging on about either being autistic or telling people with autism to ******** off.

I get that thing whole brony crowd consists of mainly autistic guys in fedoras or whatever but surely there's more to people talking about it than that?

?

What exactly does a specific kind of hat have to do with anything?

Adventuring Explorer

36,400 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Healer 50
SirPuzzle
Valebat

?

In the US stereotypes seem to not only be sorta existing, but some people intentionally follow/copy existing stereotypes.

The stereotype for a "lame" person is that they are socially inept, wear a fedora and feel wronged. The peak stereotype requires them to be a brony.

This person is called "autistic" while obviously not needing any diagnosis for their behavior. 20 years ago disliked people were usually called."gay" in the same way; with no actual basis in homo- or bisexual behavior.

Enduring Phantom

It's a disability, for people who are affected a lot it causes a lot of dysfunction in their lives. Which is kind of a big deal. If you can't relate to others or hold a job or talk? Yeah that's a big deal.
Petrograd
SirPuzzle
Valebat

?

In the US stereotypes seem to not only be sorta existing, but some people intentionally follow/copy existing stereotypes.

The stereotype for a "lame" person is that they are socially inept, wear a fedora and feel wronged. The peak stereotype requires them to be a brony.

This person is called "autistic" while obviously not needing any diagnosis for their behavior. 20 years ago disliked people were usually called."gay" in the same way; with no actual basis in homo- or bisexual behavior.

Uuh okay.......

Idk I can't help but cringe a bit at people who actually say these kinds of things, like what are you a 12 year old?

Adventuring Explorer

36,400 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Healer 50
SirPuzzle
Petrograd
SirPuzzle
Valebat

?

Uuh okay.......

Idk I can't help but cringe a bit at people who actually say these kinds of things, like what are you a 12 year old?
Yeah, I would assume that would be the ideal age to say stuff like that to people.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff