Welcome to Gaia! ::

i mean see a trend,.... my bad.
GeeWillakers
Argemistus
What generation are we talking about here?
Those born from 85 and up kinda genralizing...

HAHA, your generation sucks... though from 85 and up is a pretty big gap.

thats like 23 years, i'm pretty sure thats a huge generalization.

upon which i can only assume that everyone from 85 and on suck.

HAHAHAAHAHA you all suck
IttyBittyPious
I'll sum it all up for you, if Stabby McDoom won't do it - you kids are so into yourselves you can't see straight. Youtube, Myspace, reality shows, you guys are so absorbed in getting attention and making sure the world knows you that you're forgetting everything that actually matters. Every kid I've met that was under 21 is so damn busy with cellphones, writing Myspace bulletins with Helios, complaining about their parents not letting them pierce their nipples, and getting a $175 haircut. So freaking shallow. All of you need to check your egos and stop wasting your parents' money.

And people thought Generation X was bad? I'm seriously sorry to have been born just late enough to be considered a Millennial. Everything that this generation was supposed to be is screwed up. Your generation started this ridiculous emo movement. Your generation has popularized the $250 haircut. Your generation is obsessed with IM, cell phones, iPods, Myspace, Facebook, blogs, and boys with black eyeliner. Your generation is so convinced that the entire universe revolves around you that you refuse to accept that it could be any other way. No other generation is considered by sociologists to be more immature and co-dependent. At least most of Generation X moved out of their parent's houses by their mid-twenties. Studies have shown you kids are staying and leeching off your parents when they're hitting the age where they need care. College advisors are worried about your generation because they're seeing your self-created culture take a toll on your ego, social development, and maturity. Employers are complaining about your incompetence, lack of spelling and grammar, and complete inability to behave properly in a corporate setting.

Ask yourself why your generation is screwed up. I'm sure if you actually take a moment, you'll come up with some reasons.

Well actually, I don't agree with you here. You're not talking about 'my generation', you're talking about 'kids who are thirteen and don't know any better'. I take great offense to your statements that we're all shallow, self-obsessed idiots. I know that I'm not how you seem to think I am as a modern teenager, and neither is anyone I know apart from as I said, thirteen and fourteen year olds who are going through the obnoxious phase that I'm sure has afflicted every young teenager since dawn began. It just represents itself in different ways.

And also, I love how you lump 'the myspace generation' in with 'cuckoos' who still live at home into their thirties, leeching off their parents. I'm sure that a single generation can't span twenty-odd years in one go.
All generations have their issues from racism to sexual orientation
The only real difference is that now most things are okay to do without getting a rock thrown through your window that says "go home homo"
I know stuff like that still happens but now that its easier to express yourself pple are finding ways to cause drama... it happens redface
The millenials generation began in 1981. And a good portion of them are still dependent on their parents, so you don't need to exaggerate. And generations can and do span twenty years. The baby boomers cover 1945 -1964. Generation X spans from 1964 - 1981.

And if you took offense to it, good. I hope everyone who reads it finds some sort of emotional reaction to it, because it's making you (the general you, not the personal you) think about it. It's forcing you to look at yourself and reflect on your behavior. And I'm not just talking about the thirteen year olds. I'm also referring to the ones about to leave high school and attend college. It's not the junior high school students who have the "awesome" hairstyles. It's all the seventeen year-old wannabe hipsters. The fourteen year olds aren't the only ones who care about having a Betsy Johnson handbag.

I hope people take offense to my statements here. I hope it causes people to take a look at themselves and compare their own habits with what I've written. And good for you for responding in a clear, cohesive, manner.
Thanks, but I don't need you patronizing me. How old are you? I bet you weren't exactly a paragon of depth and philosophy at seventeen either. Its all very well for people like you to speak of the youth of today, but the shallowness, greed and egotism of humanity is all too universal. You can't just say that its our generation who has those qualities, every generation of people does. Ours might just be more visible because of the greater level of media which is quick to criticize youth for the exact same qualities that older generations posses themselves.

On the up-side, there are intelligent, responsible, mature and caring teenagers out there. Just as there are intelligent, responsible, mature and caring 20 year olds, thirty year olds, fifty year olds, etc. These qualities aren't the reserve of the older generations, just as the qualities you describe aren't only found in the 'myspace generation'.
My mom was rather old when she had me, in middle school, I became a hermit, didn't go to public school and what not. When I got into high school, everything was so messed up. Everything I had learned from my mom (values and all that) just went out the window. I still believe in what my mom taught me, but I am confused as hell because I just don't get the people around me at all lol.
who knows maybe since it's becoming more "ok" in society, more people aren't suppressing feelings they probably already had.
I dunno, you probably should be happy since there's more variety of people to choose from. back in the forties etc, you were lucky to find another gay person your entire life because of the stigma around it back then.

and there are dipshits in every generation not just ours
halves
Thanks, but I don't need you patronizing me. How old are you? I bet you weren't exactly a paragon of depth and philosophy at seventeen either. Its all very well for people like you to speak of the youth of today, but the shallowness, greed and egotism of humanity is all too universal. You can't just say that its our generation who has those qualities, every generation of people does. Ours might just be more visible because of the greater level of media which is quick to criticize youth for the exact same qualities that older generations posses themselves.

On the up-side, there are intelligent, responsible, mature and caring teenagers out there. Just as there are intelligent, responsible, mature and caring 20 year olds, thirty year olds, fifty year olds, etc. These qualities aren't the reserve of the older generations, just as the qualities you describe aren't only found in the 'myspace generation'.

I apologize if you thought I was patronizing you, as I can assure that was not my intent. Bruised egos aside, at seventeen I was finishing my first year of college and getting ready for a second round. I was hanging out with people eight years older than me and talking about issues with our then current government and ways to solve them. I was volunteering with local non-profit organizations. I shaved my head because I felt I had a statement to make, and it had the added bonus of being infinitely cheaper to shave my own head than to get my hair done in a salon. I had a cell phone because my father was threatening to kill my mom and myself. I was earning my own money by working as an extra in music videos. I bought my own clothes. I put gas in my car with my own money. I was a self-sufficient teenager.

I was also full of angst and all the other crap that is very typical of that age. But I wasn't catered to. None of the kids my age were catered to. We dealt with it, we moved on, we thought about other people. At seventeen, I was more worried about making sure my friends on the streets had enough food to eat. I was sitting in a waiting room in the ER because my best friend got alcohol poisoning after doing exactly what I told her not to do. And we learned from our mistakes and moved on. We didn't write blogs and beg random people to comment on it. The internet has created an entire generation of young people to depend on others for acceptance, for self assurance, for justification in their actions. Rely on your Helios, listen to your iPods, write your Myspace bulletins, but for goodness' sake, the attention-seeking needs to stop. Be self-reliant. And this isn't directed at you, Halves, but everyone who reads this.
IttyBittyPious
I'll sum it all up for you, if Stabby McDoom won't do it - you kids are so into yourselves you can't see straight. Youtube, Myspace, reality shows, you guys are so absorbed in getting attention and making sure the world knows you that you're forgetting everything that actually matters. Every kid I've met that was under 21 is so damn busy with cellphones, writing Myspace bulletins with Helios, complaining about their parents not letting them pierce their nipples, and getting a $175 haircut. So freaking shallow. All of you need to check your egos and stop wasting your parents' money.

And people thought Generation X was bad? I'm seriously sorry to have been born just late enough to be considered a Millennial. Everything that this generation was supposed to be is screwed up. Your generation started this ridiculous emo movement. Your generation has popularized the $250 haircut. Your generation is obsessed with IM, cell phones, iPods, Myspace, Facebook, blogs, and boys with black eyeliner. Your generation is so convinced that the entire universe revolves around you that you refuse to accept that it could be any other way. No other generation is considered by sociologists to be more immature and co-dependent. At least most of Generation X moved out of their parent's houses by their mid-twenties. Studies have shown you kids are staying and leeching off your parents when they're hitting the age where they need care. College advisors are worried about your generation because they're seeing your self-created culture take a toll on your ego, social development, and maturity. Employers are complaining about your incompetence, lack of spelling and grammar, and complete inability to behave properly in a corporate setting.

Ask yourself why your generation is screwed up. I'm sure if you actually take a moment, you'll come up with some reasons.

I'm honestly not trying to start an argument but I just wanted to point this out:
How can studies show that we're staying with our parents until they need help if our parents aren't even old enough to be at that point yet?
My parents are 49 and 52...still very self sufficient, and anyways I don't live with them, moved out when I was 21. My older brother on the other hand didn't move out until he was 24, still my parents were even younger then. The only child that still lives with my parents is my younger brother who is 17.
And my last two employers were total morons when it came to spelling and grammar, lol.
angelwthscbdwngs

I'm honestly not trying to start an argument but I just wanted to point this out:
How can studies show that we're staying with our parents until they need help if our parents aren't even old enough to be at that point yet?
My parents are 49 and 52...still very self sufficient, and anyways I don't live with them, moved out when I was 21. My older brother on the other hand didn't move out until he was 24, still my parents were even younger then. The only child that still lives with my parents is my younger brother who is 17.

Pulled from McCrindle Research 2008: "The Boomers have been labeled the "sandwich generation" because so many of their Gen Y offspring remain home well into their 20s right at the time that their own parents are needing more care."

In case anyone's wondering, "Millenials" and "Generation Y" are often used interchangeably.

AARP starts sending out senior life and health insurance pamphlets to people as soon as they hit 50. By this age, your body starts deteriorating at an increasing rate. Not something I'm looking forward to dealing with, but hey, what can you do. You start losing calcium in your bones, your teeth go if you aren't caring for them, your retinas begin to detach, all sort of fun things. Your parents are old enough to retire, but many baby boomers have such a high work ethic that they continue to work their jobs well beyond the standard age for retirement.
IttyBittyPious
angelwthscbdwngs

Pulled from McCrindle Research 2008: "The Boomers have been labeled the "sandwich generation" because so many of their Gen Y offspring remain home well into their 20s right at the time that their own parents are needing more care."

In case anyone's wondering, "Millenials" and "Generation Y" are often used interchangeably.

AARP starts sending out senior life and health insurance pamphlets to people as soon as they hit 50. By this age, your body starts deteriorating at an increasing rate. Not something I'm looking forward to dealing with, but hey, what can you do. You start losing calcium in your bones, your teeth go if you aren't caring for them, your retinas begin to detach, all sort of fun things. Your parents are old enough to retire, but many baby boomers have such a high work ethic that they continue to work their jobs well beyond the standard age for retirement.

Very good.
But you know what's funny? I'm the youngest of all of my friends, and it seems like everyone that I know still lives with their parents except for me, and a very few others. I have my friend who's 26, still lives with mom, 24 still lives with mom, another 24 still lives with mom and dad with her husband...lol! and another who is 23 and still lives with mom and dad and drives their Audi to work everyday. Would all these ages be considered part of the generation we're refferring to? Maybe I'm just mature for my age.

Enduring Associate

8,350 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Clambake 200
You know what's really annoying? That fad where kids complain about being affluent, and think that it makes them better than all their peers.

Look, every generation has problems and every teenager is at least for a time full of angst, self-importance and the kind of naivete that will make them look back in later years and cringe in embarrassment. No one is emotionally mature, sensitive and fully cognizant of the world and their impact on it when they're a teenager because they're not old enough to know that yet. Some things just take time. Do kids now suck out loud? Yes. But is said sucking out loud a new thing? No, it's just wearing tight pants and half-blind fron the hair in its eyes. Also, I feel that a great deal of the blame here is misplaced, because poor parenting or a total abdication of parenting will give you terrible kids. It's a lot easier to be a bad or absent parent due to technology, but I suspect bad parents have always been around. It's bad form to blame a kid for being a brat if no one has ever told him no or scolded him for being bad, because he genuinely doesn't get it. I got in trouble and I wasn't allowed to spend my life jacked into electronic media, and I think that has more to do with my difference from my peers than my miraculously being the one in 10,000 babies born in 1985 who wasn't destined to be a snot.

3,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Signature Look 250
what's wrong w/ out generation? everything.
All the ages you mentioned are right on the cusp between the two generations, so there's definitely some overlap that goes on. I'm one of those overlapping kids.

And if you're 21 and entirely self-reliant, then good on you. Seriously. There's not enough people in the world like you. Granted, this example is quite the exception as far as mooching goes, but I know a woman who is 32 years old and still begs her mother for money. But that's much much more of an obvious parenting issue, as her brother is exactly the same way. I don't understand how their mom deals with it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff